Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    us
    Jan 2008
    dfx
    10 times

Re: What are you favorite most used spices when cooking?

Quote Originally Posted by texastee2007
    My hubby! He is well seasoned and loves to BBQ and Fry fish. It always is most outstanding...We both love the peppers! Makes smoke come out your ears.
    ....and if you haven't had it in a while, your ears isn't the only place you'll be reminded of how much you love it.

us
    Mar 2007
    Northwest Missouri
    ACE 250
    65 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Saffron is my favorite in any rice dishes. A packet of onion soup mix makes an awesome meatloaf. Another good meatloaf is a trick I learned in the restaurant, we had leftover stovetop stuffing and I used it instead of bread crumbs. I still make it that way at home sometimes. I like to use fresh onion and garlic when I can but just about any hamburgers for the grill or the skillet get salt, white pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.

Liquid smoke goes in about every meat marinade I make. There is also an Albert's Steak Sauce Marinade that comes in a packet but instead of just mixing it with water use 1/2 water and 1/2 orange juice. The citric acid will break down the toughest cut of steak and the flavor is great. They need to soak in the fridge for at least a full day but 2 or 3 days is even better. Now I made myself hungry, lol.

Charlie

us
    Jan 2008
    dfx
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by savant365
    Saffron is my favorite in any rice dishes. A packet of onion soup mix makes an awesome meatloaf. Another good meatloaf is a trick I learned in the restaurant, we had leftover stovetop stuffing and I used it instead of bread crumbs. I still make it that way at home sometimes. I like to use fresh onion and garlic when I can but just about any hamburgers for the grill or the skillet get salt, white pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.

Liquid smoke goes in about every meat marinade I make. There is also an Albert's Steak Sauce Marinade that comes in a packet but instead of just mixing it with water use 1/2 water and 1/2 orange juice. The citric acid will break down the toughest cut of steak and the flavor is great. They need to soak in the fridge for at least a full day but 2 or 3 days is even better. Now I made myself hungry, lol.

Charlie
    I hope you don't mind if I steel this idea from you. Sounds very good.

Charter Member
    us
    LET FREEDOM RING! WP

Nov 2006
    Where good deeds are performed daily
    Garrett Fortune Hunter, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
    8652 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Saffron is an item of great cost. To put on rice?

No need to be "exotic."
    The need is to be economical yet pleasing to the palate.
    Simple spices and seasonings are apropos.
    The ability to know what spice and exactly how much goes with what dish is paramount!
    If anyone wants advice, please ask before making a mistake!

Best Wishes,
    Scott
    CAN YA DIG IT?
    Democracy: The only system where
    two idiots can out-vote one genius

us
    Jan 2008
    dfx
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by AU24K

No need to be "exotic."
    The ability to know what spice and exactly how much goes with what dish is paramount!

Best Wishes,
    Scott
    Sorry Scott... I'm going to try this saffron bit, just for the experience. I'm hoping it won't cost too much, but if it does, I'll probably buy it anyway for a 1 timer thing. Anything to get the yummy-ness of a new recipe.... And also potentially a new female 'acquaintance'. (just that word alone will give rise to not only a good date while cooking for her, but an excellent dessert as well). (((hint hint))))

Charter Member
    us
    LET FREEDOM RING! WP

Nov 2006
    Where good deeds are performed daily
    Garrett Fortune Hunter, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
    8652 times

Mike,
    Sometimes ya just gotta get exotic!
    (Been a few years for me.....)

Hope it works for ya!

Best,
    Scott
    CAN YA DIG IT?
    Democracy: The only system where
    two idiots can out-vote one genius

us
    Mar 2007
    Northwest Missouri
    ACE 250
    65 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeofaustin
    Quote Originally Posted by AU24K

No need to be "exotic."

Best Wishes,
    Scott
    Sorry Scott... I'm going to try this saffron bit, just for the experience. I'm hoping it won't cost too much, but if it does, I'll probably buy it anyway for a 1 timer thing. Anything to get the yummy-ness of a new recipe.... And also potentially a new female 'acquaintance'. (just that word alone will give rise to not only a good date while cooking for her, but an excellent dessert as well). (((hint hint))))
    Yes saffron is very expensive but a little bit goes a long way and it is so worth the cost for the experience. I don't order prime rib or fillet mignon every time I go out to eat but once in a while it's worth it.

pastorals

Nothing too exotic. My favorites are Oregano and garlic.

Alan

Charter Member
    us
    Cat teaches man, not everything here serves him.

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
    6878 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Saffron, huh. I musta got some old stuff. I can't help thinking, that gotta be one heck of a job, deflowering all them crocuses.

Just about everything in my house gets a healthy dose of Garlic, Thyme, Italian, Oregano, and pepper seasoning.

Mojo+seasoning for meat.
    Yesterday is history, tomorow a mystery. All we have is the here and now, it's a special gift. That's why we call it "The Present"

Pity the poor agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/patharp?ref=si_shop

us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
    6883 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

mikeofaustin, when my big Colorado primitive camp out with all Tnet members comes together someday, you're the cook, hoss. I was once noted for my frybread cookin ability, but it's a little difficult at this altitude.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

us
    Feb 2008
    Morgantown,WV
    Bounty Hunter Landstar
    1000 times

A subtle hand with the seasonings is a glorious thing reserved for the young . Years of abusing tastebuds with tobacco and booze require that all spices be laid on with a heavier hand .
    Wolfpack forever

us
    Jan 2008
    dfx
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by RGINN
    mikeofaustin, when my big Colorado primitive camp out with all Tnet members comes together someday, you're the cook, hoss. I was once noted for my frybread cookin ability, but it's a little difficult at this altitude.
    Yeah, I know this trick... you tell someone that you LOVE their cooking... and then that person gets stuck cooking for everyone. Well, I'll tell ya what... I'll do some fresh pinto's and pork with a jalapeno cornbread... and then maybe some rice or grits, or just some red potatos for the beans... That's it... Nothing special... just something that'll teach ya'll about tricking ol' mikey to cook for you guys again... (my luck, you guy's will probably love it).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links