Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Strangest encounter you've ever had while metal detecting?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    treasurelagoon.wordpress.com

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    2712 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Strangest encounter you've ever had while metal detecting?

Metal detecting gets you out and it allows you to witness a lot, but what's the strangest thing you've ever encountered while metal detecting? (Situation, scene, event, or even a strange find.)
    "The key to finding gold is finding places where it can be accessed."

us
    May 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
    16 times

Re: Strangest encounter you've ever had while metal detecting?

This is a true story, even though my buddy Baldingboy says Im making it up.

I was hunting at the Beach at Lake of the Ozarks a few summers ago. I had a permit to do this as it is a state park. Anyway I was hunting very early in the morning and I noticed two young women on the beach. They got up and went into the water. A short time later I heard screaming and one of the women had taken the other woman's top. The woman missing her top was in the water and her friend had run out of the water holding her top. The woman sans top came up to the beach, not even trying to cover herself and I thought there was about to be a fight when they started going at it right there on the beach. Not fighting mind you. I excused myself, got in my car and drove over to the other beach that the permit allows you to detect at. Nothing happened there and I was the only person there that morning.

"It isn't the age, it's the mileage" IJ

us
    Strip Minning Northern California, one Silver Coin at a time....but never leave a trace...

Nov 2006
    In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern California
    Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. , , Garrett Pro Pointer
    445 times
    Metal Detecting

While water hunting a lake reservoir in Northern California I was approached by 5 Spanish speaking male adults. All 5 of these guys were extremely angry and they ordered me off the beach or they would "kill" me. They said: "This is Mexico and we don't want you here". They had pure hate in their eyes, so I just left. Sad at what is happening in my home state.
    Hunting San Francisco Bay Area since 1985

gb
    May 2008
    uk
    tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
    13 times
    Banner Finds (4)

Quote Originally Posted by mastereagle22
    This is a true story, even though my buddy Baldingboy says Im making it up.

I was hunting at the Beach at Lake of the Ozarks a few summers ago. I had a permit to do this as it is a state park. Anyway I was hunting very early in the morning and I noticed two young women on the beach. They got up and went into the water. A short time later I heard screaming and one of the women had taken the other woman's top. The woman missing her top was in the water and her friend had run out of the water holding her top. The woman sans top came up to the beach, not even trying to cover herself and I thought there was about to be a fight when they started going at it right there on the beach. Not fighting mind you. I excused myself, got in my car and drove over to the other beach that the permit allows you to detect at. Nothing happened there and I was the only person there that morning.

I think I would have counted down from 4750 and if they hadn't stopped I would have done the same
    Who needs Cartwheel Pennies anyway?

us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    993 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

mastereagle22, I hate to say I agree with your friend, this story is like playing urban legend I would have made myself comfortable, got out my snacks and a drink and relaxed for a while. Unlike Shaun, I won't be leaving until I see they are near crescendo, then I will give a standing ovation

Shaun7 & I were detecting near a Windmill, when 3 lovely young ladies started taking pictures of each other. To our surprise & slight distraction they started stripping off. One of our better hunts (it wasn't even a warm day, we had coats on )
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT, YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' - me 25/06/08
    How do you find Gold coins? Reply: 'By finding lots of Silver ones..'
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground.' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.

gb
    May 2008
    uk
    13 times
    Banner Finds (4)

Quote Originally Posted by CRUSADER
    Shaun7 & I were detecting near a windmill, when 3 lovely young ladies started taking pictures of each other. To our surprise & slight distraction they started stripping off. One of our better hunts (it wasn't even a warm day, we had coats on )

And we made sure they had left safely with all their belongings before we left the field

Quote Originally Posted by shaun7
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUSADER
    Shaun7 & I were detecting near a windmill, when 3 lovely young ladies started taking pictures of each other. To our surprise & slight distraction they started stripping off. One of our better hunts (it wasn't even a warm day, we had coats on )

And we made sure they had left safely with all their belongings before we left the field
    true, we have little use for 'over shoulder boulder holders'

'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' - me 25/06/08

us
    Feb 2008
    Morgantown,WV
    Bounty Hunter Landstar
    819 times

Gentlemen , all . Nobody thought of asking ,"Can I play , too ?"
    Wolfpack forever

us
    May 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
    16 times

Another encounter

I was hunting a local "community garden" near dark when I was approached by three young men who thought they would take my detector. I had a little eagle and my lesche at the time. I looked the three over figured out which one was the "leader" by him running his mouth the whole time and when he said "Watcha gonna do there are three of us and only one of you" I said "well I don't know about three of you but I will take one of you out and it will be YOU!" Needless to say they walked off without the detector......
    "It isn't the age, it's the mileage" IJ

Quote Originally Posted by truckinbutch
    Gentlemen , all . Nobody thought of asking ,"Can I play , too ?"
    I'm not so good with a camera

I vote my own story - BANNER - always brings out what every field should have as well as gold, but it does effect my find rate

us
    Nov 2010
    North Carolina
    BH LoneStar AT PRO
    143 times

Quote Originally Posted by bigscoop
    Metal detecting gets you out and it allows you to witness a lot, but what's the strangest thing you've ever encountered while metal detecting? (Situation, scene, event, or even a strange find.)

I have not been detecting long but this just happened. (so far nothing truly extraordinary has happened or no great weird finds)

the other day on vacation at the beach, bent over to dig a find and when I came up not 1 foot in front of me was a man and his 2 kids.....scared the daylights out of me, heck I jumped straight up...lol....how I didn't see their feet in front of me I will never know

when I detect I got into a zone. I truly don't know what is happening right in front of me...not a good thing actually

us
    Nov 2010
    North Carolina
    BH LoneStar AT PRO
    143 times

Quote Originally Posted by mastereagle22
    Another encounter

I was hunting a local "community garden" near dark when I was approached by three young men who thought they would take my detector. I had a little eagle and my lesche at the time. I looked the three over figured out which one was the "leader" by him running his mouth the whole time and when he said "Watcha gonna do there are three of us and only one of you" I said "well I don't know about three of you but I will take one of you out and it will be YOU!" Needless to say they walked off without the detector......

us
    Feb 2010
    Vancouver WA
    Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro) Chug and Reds New Additions Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
    1228 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

OMG, Reds Going to Kill Me!!! I would Have stayed a Watched!!!

My strangest encounter is When I started Detecting And was Walking thru some Heavy trees!!! AND IT WAS NOT 2 Women Enough said Chug!!!
    "It cant Always Be Silver Or Gold But It Is A Hell Of an Experience Pulling It Out Of the Dirt"

Metal detecting is Like A Marathon, Your Running fast then start Slowing A Bit The You Find Something Interesting And You Pick Up the Pace!!! The Only Difference is If You Are Addicted to this Hobby there Is NO FINISH LINE HH Chug And Red

gb
    May 2008
    uk
    13 times
    Banner Finds (4)

Quote Originally Posted by Chug and Red
    OMG, Reds Going to Kill Me!!! I would Have stayed a Watched!!!

My strangest encounter is When I started Detecting And was Walking thru some Heavy trees!!! AND IT WAS NOT 2 Women Enough said Chug!!!

Squirrels?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors