Went mushroom hunting and a new pet found me

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
Went out Sunday and we found about 50 all together, mostly grey and blacks but a few yellow morels.

The oddest thing that has ever happend to me in the woods was I heard a noise to the left of me and figured it was my hunting partner, when I looked over I seen a baby squirrel about 15 feet away just staring at me.

I said "hey little guy" and he came running over to me and sat down by my boot and I began to pet him.

I figure his nest had been blown out of a tree in the recent storms we've had.

Needless to say he hiked about two miles out of the woods with me and my wife just fed him a bottle full of puppy formula and he's eating some cantaloupe.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's odd that it would come up to you, no fear of humans yet i guess.
Good job of adopting it. :thumbsup:

Fossis............

OP
OP
WindHarvester

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
packerbacker said:
and tomorrow he is going to bite you......... ;D

It's nibbling already and for it's sake I hope it don't bite the hands that feed it.

fossis said:
That's odd that it would come up to you, no fear of humans yet i guess.
Good job of adopting it. :thumbsup:

Fossis............

Just had too, no mother anywhere to be found. It's a red and we figure it's probably around 4 weeks old. It probably wouldn't have made it. The kids love it and it made an added Easter surprise.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is nice you saved him but key being, get him outside and on his own as fast as you can.
he is best wild, but I am sure you gained a yard friend for life LOL

OP
OP
WindHarvester

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
FarmerChick said:
that is nice you saved him but key being, get him outside and on his own as fast as you can.
he is best wild, but I am sure you gained a yard friend for life LOL

That's exactly what we plan to do. We have about 20 reds and greys that frequent the yard so he should have no trouble fitting in. I hope he remembers us well and comes and hangs out on the porch for a petting and treat once in awhile. I think that would be a great conversation starter with company.

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Hello Windharvester that was nice that you saved it. I'll bet the kids do love it. Kind of an unusual pet they
will have fun talking about. It definitely be a conversation starter and I'll bet you will get quite a variety of remarks
from your company. LOL. Good job.
Ray

OP
OP
WindHarvester

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Yeah I think your right Ray, my wife is taking it to school tomorrow for my daughters fourth grade class to meet. I'm actually surprised the school is allowing it being it's considered a "wild" animal and all, but I guess that's one of the benefits of living in the country.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh he will hang around and probably try to get back in the house :laughing9:

we had a few pet squirrels we fed in the yard as kids. Mom would freak when the squirrels would hang from the kitchen screen door! She kept saying don't feed them right by the house, she thought for sure one would figure out how to open the handle HA HA

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid I was always bringing animals home, even snakes and stuff like that. Had a pet squirrel and my advice, "don't let it get loose in the house!" :laughing7:

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
WH. the red squirrel is an endangered specie over here, they are trying to bring them back in Scotland. The grey squirrels kills the red ones. Last year we had a couple of grey squrrels in the loft, and boy what a job it was getting rid of them. They had chewed thru to the loft.. the fachia board... then the guttering. What a mess it was, and thats not counting the cost of the repairs. Do watch your fingers tho, they sure can bite.

'U'

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Add some mushrooms, potatoes, carrots, and you have Campbell's Squirrel Soup for One!

Mike

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gollum said:
Add some mushrooms, potatoes, carrots, and you have Campbell's Squirrel Soup for One!

Mike

Not bad fried with a little pan gravy too.........

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
With the risk of a telling off from you all, I have to say, I cannot imagine eating a squirrel, ugh...they are tree rats... :icon_scratch:... :hello:
We ate most things during the war but not squirrels. Rabbits yes, but squirrels nooooooo

OP
OP
WindHarvester

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all the replies, I have photos of the little guy on my LG phone but unfortunately it didn't come with a disc for syncing it up with my computer and I charge it with a USB cord. :dontknow:

He is doing really good, he loves veggies and just had some fresh asparagus and a little bowl of puppy formula mixed with bread crumbs. He's an ornery little guy that loves attention and barking at us when he's ready for a meal.

We have had many pets over the years but this is our first tree rat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread