Storing Electricity

C

Cappy Z.

Technically one can buy small and large gasoline cans and store hundreds if not thousands of galleons of gasoline. And of course store the resource for years until needed. I often wonder why we can't 'store' e;electricity the same way? Why aren't small and large size 'containers' available so when ever and where ever we need a hook up for fridge or car? I suspect the technology to store large amounts of electricity exist already, but if the public were allowed to use such devices, one could 'steal' and thus store electricity from virtually any socket anywhere...schools, office buildings, anywhere a socket exist. I believe this one of the reasons access to such batteries are not allowed. The 'controllers' would lose control...and we the people wouldn't be dependent on paying $5.00 a gallon gasoline etc. I am certain there must have been large scientific advances in electricity storage...but we the people are being denied.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Yes, there are many such batteries, as well as large capacitors, that can store vast amounts of electricity. Fork lift batteries are huge, and store massive amounts of electricity in them. There are some capacitors that are huge also. These can store large amounts of electricity. But these large capacitors are dangerous.If you have ever touched a small one accidentally,then you realize what a large one could do. With the proper storage facility and locked to prevent accidental entry,both could be a valuable source of storing electricity. The drawback is that both are very expensive to buy,unless you can find a forklift battery that has been removed from service,but then it would probably have been sold back to the manufacturer to refurbish. Some golf cart batteries have large storage capacities also. Most are 6 volt,but you could run several in series to obtain the voltage you need.These batteries, the golf course usually sells for a small fee, after they have been used awhile. They replace them every so often,so if you know someone who has access to the golf course maintenance department,maybe you could luck up and find some there. Also tractor trailers use large capacity batteries, as do heavy machinery, such as bulldozers,cranes,ukes,and roadgraders. You may find some at a local DOT, if you have connections, or a construction site.I bought a Caterpillar battery once, it was the same size as a regular car battery,but it has far more CCA's and would spin my V8 so fast on the coldest mornings,that I thought the starter would explode. Good Luck. rockhound

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
if only I could sell the electicity that's in my hair every morn, I'd be rich!

K

Kentucky Kache

What kind of system do solar panels use?

OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

Apparently solar panels don't actually store energy.It is my understanding that whatever is not used is sold. I've thought about adding a solar roof hjere in florida, however I'd want a true cost-benefits analyisis done. I'd like to get off the grid as much as possible. And this battery obsticle keeps coming up. Thanks fo the feedback.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your going to use solar panels then long life batteries are called for.

These have a 20 year life:

http://industrialenergy.exide.com/products/range_select.asp?range=GP&sub_id=17&lng=en&cl=np_brands

One thing I done years ago was buy batteries dry (new without acid) and bought the acid separately.

Nappa used to be a good place for this, don't know anymore.

They keep indefinitely until the acid is poured into the battery.

I know you can still buy battery acid but not so sure about a new dry battery, probably have to contact a supplier.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
:icon_scratch:Cappy, why do you keep asking questions to things I know nothing about? LOL
I had solar on my home out in CA back in 1985 to 1991. It ran my AC/Heating and Hot Water Tank. Did a wonderful job I might add. However the cost of a battery system to store any electricity overnight was horrendous. I was glad to get rid of that house. Never again for this boy!
Good Luck

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Conversations like this make me glad that I started life with coal oil lights , wood/coal room heat , carried spring water , path to the outhouse , and home canned/preserved food stocks .
I am happy with the amenities available now . Going back to what I came from would not be a great leap if necessity demanded .

OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

Although I enjoyed the rustic life when younger, I now prefer all the amenities which electricity provides. I admit I am addicted to the web and any news source of scientific advances. I would like to be 'off the grid' as much as possible. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Electricity coming out of the wall, actually, is very cheap compared to what one could generate for themselves (I know it doesn't seem cheap on our energy bills). It's really all about the 3 "E's"... efficiency, efficiency, efficiency. Solar panels today, are actually not really worth the investment because you pay a LOT up front (but they are making yearly progress on them),. and in the end, you will come out only slightly ahead (if at all). Otherwise, the manufacturer's of solar panels would be using the very same panels they make to make the panels they sell. Batteries are actually very inefficient in terms of energy required to go into them to charge them, versus what you get out. Capacitors are much better at efficiency, but they don't store a lot of 'long term' energy, and if you were to buy a large bank of caps to store the energy needed for, lets say, a day's worth of energy, this capacitor bank that is required for that amount of energy storage would be very, very, very expensive (and then cap's have a lifespan of their own as well).

Currently, you have to keep in mind that every business entity out there would love to spend less money on energy costs... and when they start converting over to another alternative energy source, the problem is solved for the rest of us too.

One thought I have had for a while, is that one could store energy in 'off peak' hours, and use that energy stored, later during peak hours... but again, you would need to store it in batteries (expensive and have a lifespan). If I remember correctly, Lith-Ion batteries lose 20% of their storage every year. So, if one were to avoid that cost if storage requirements, it would mean that you would work during off peak hours, and sleep in the middle of the day (peak hours).

Also,
-don't keep your fridge open that long.
-If you don't mind the color, use florescent. Filament bulbs are horrible energy wasters.
-Use a programmable thermostat. Tune it to be more efficient during the times you sleep and are at work.
-Older houses are horrible with insulation.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's still on topic if I bring up electric cars isn't it? What is going to happen to all of those expensive and now spent batteries? Guys like desertfox that have had stuff like this are the source of real information. It all looks good on paper until you are replacing or disposing of old batteries.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I'm still a fan of nuclear power. That is, of course, if you don't build it next to a fault line. The waste that is created will later not be a problem with the constant advances in technology. 'Big Oil' has no reason at all to invest in another technology.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread