For All You Fly Fishing Junkies

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've named it, "The Mangrove Mauler"........been killing them with it. Simple to tie, a couple of soft white hackles, a few strands of silver mylar (sometimes I also use chart, blue, and pearl), build up the head with white thread, coat with clear nail polish and let dry, use permanent markers for black back and red eyes, coat with epoxy. (Make a few weighted ones with lead wrap under the white thread if you want a little faster sink rate.) These flies work really well using a slow to moderate strip speed. If I go back out again tonight I'll try to get a few pictures.

Attachments

• man2.jpg
    man2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 165

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000
do you ever need weed guards fishing around mangroves?
Nice fly simple but effective :icon_thumleft:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allo, what size hook? More. In an emergency I have used strips from an empty potatoe chip bag that I saw floating. Thin strips of the silvery inside lining were fantastic.

Incidentally are your mangrove areas loaded with skeeters and other assorted hungry vampires?

Don Jose de La Mancha

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice fly.

I was fishing with friends for halibut in Homer awhile back and we were running out of sardines. One of my friends put some blue plastic off the sardine wrapper on a hook and started catching fish.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
Allo, what size hook? More. In an emergency I have used strips from an empty potatoe chip bag that I saw floating. Thin strips of the silvery inside lining were fantastic.

Incidentally are your mangrove areas loaded with skeeters and other assorted hungry vampires?

Don Jose de La Mancha

I use various size hooks, a sort of, "whatever I have at the time that works"...kind of thing. #4 & 6 short shanks most of the time.
The no-see-ems ran me off the water last night about mid-night, and "Mosquito Lagoon" is just south of me. :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dld said:
do you ever need weed guards fishing around mangroves?
Nice fly simple but effective :icon_thumleft:

I don't run into too many situations where a weed guard is required. At times the floating & drifting grass can be a pain but not really too much you can do about it.

A Clouser minnow is also a really good choice, seems to work real well at times. :thumbsup: But I'm always tinkering at the fly vice and there's just something special about catching fish on something you created....sort of makes the whole task of fishing a personal thing. :laughing7:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking fly. Do you make them for yourself or do you sell them. If you sell them how much do you get for them. I would take a couple if you sell them......Matt :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions