Found a buck but I wish I didnt....uugghh!

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Re: Found a buck but I wish I didn't....uugghh!

Glad you are okay...sorry about that nice car. It's a shame that we can't sue the Government for stocking deer in our areas. Or even worse! Here in Virginia, the idiots are stocking elk to take the place of those eliminated 150 years ago. Imagine hitting one of those. No, don't. That accident with the deer should be all your bad luck for mant a year.

grizzly bare

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000

Good thing you had those exploding air bag things, you could have been hurt... ;D
Lets see instead of making the car safer they just put exploding bags so if you don't wear your seat belt your dead for sure... Yeah that the way to do it. So then when I cut my finger they amputate my arm, yeah that sounds like a good way to fix the problem... :P

Just think, those airbags saved your life. :P Oh wait, no they just made the auto industry more money. ;D

But seriously, nice work on avoiding that one (even though you didn't do anything at that moment) just think if you hadn't paused to put the lid on your coffee or slow for a pedestrian, you would have hit that deer straight on (bad news). Thank the stars! Sorry to see such a nice auto, bent, those Mark8's rock!

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

About the airbag thing... They save many lives each year. But, they should make it so they only explode in a larger crash.

-CC

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Bummer man! Oh well, easy come...easy go ;D

Keep posting those great finds.

Badger

OP
OP
1235CE

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Re: Found a buck but I wish I didn't....uugghh! (Estimate Update)

Thanks all for the kind words......the estimate for the damage from the adjuster came to $9,766.88 !!!!!.....the adjuster told me that he was only $2,200 away from TOTALING my car!!! .....just a few things, I won't bore you with itemized bolts and brackets costs.....each air-bag is $1,100, new front nose shell, $1,809, new hood $1,482, new left fender $915, 2 new headlights/lenses $662 for EACH headlight :o ....(and the things you can't see)......new radiator $677, new air-condtioning compressor $1,097....I also have what they call Pearlescent paint which is an expensive painting process, so says the adjuster but he left that price as "open".....BUT the good news is that some of my parts are already coming into the body shop and he says he'll get going on it early next week and that I should have it back in about 10 days....

I did hit this deer pretty flush on the front end but scroll up and look at the pics again......Is that almost 10 grand damage these days??!??

HH all!

Greg

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

I would have guessed $1500 max! That sucks. And the front fender isnt even dammaged! Forget the 10 grand, buy a fan for 30 bucks to replace the ac and spend 5 dollars on duct tape to tape up the front. As for the glass, spotlights are good and cost like $25. They last a long time too. lol :P

-CC

minelab rick

Jul 1, 2006
Charlottesville, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

You might as well plan on an additional $1,500.00 in supplemental repairs once the car is in the body shop. Whenthey start taking the car apart to repair it there are always things they find that are broken that couldn't be seen while assembled. if you were wearing your seatbelt, look at your estmate and see if a seatbelt pretensioner is on it. Normallywhen the seatbelts lock up during an accident the inertia lock in the belt is tripped. This is missed when writing the estimate because the belt still works. it is not usually discovered till the job is done and the air bag light in the dash stays on. Might sane you an extra day on the end of repair. I've worked in a Ford Dealership for 24 years and we have a body shop to.

Deer hits in our area average about $2,500.00 if air bags don't go off. It really depends on where the deer strikes the vehicle. Deer in your area are bigger and consequently repairs are much higher. not to mention shop rates in different areas.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thats a bummer, but it could have been worse...You could have hit a fish.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bk said:
Thats a bummer, but it could have been worse...You could have hit a fish.
LMAO catfish or dogfish or the veneriable PEACOCK bass

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Glad you are ok Realmhunter!!! Cars can be replaced, you can't.

OMG...that pic that someone posted with the deer in the windshield, reminds me of an incident that happened here couple years back (prob about 10 yrs now, if that long) ... locals may remember this. A family was leaving here after spending their vacation at the beach. The wife put her young child in the front seat so she could get in the back and take care of the infant. A deer ran across 64 and went right through their windshield, passenger side. I don't have to tell you the horrible outcome, as I am sure you could imagine. That was a very tragic accident :'(

Oh, my kids don't care for beef stew either....go figure....they just don't know good food when it's in front of them....kids...gotta love 'em :)

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000

coolcash2004 said:
About the airbag thing... They save many lives each year. But, they should make it so they only explode in a larger crash.

-CC

ONLY because you have to wear your seatbelt, they were introduced originally to replace seatbelts except they found that they will kill you if your not belted in...
The propellent used is very, very toxic and causes cancer, if you are short and sit close to the steering wheel they will kill you... You will notice that the use of seatbelt has increased rather sharply since it is now sure death without it... Is this safer??? ONLY if the seatbelt is worn....But then 100% of race cars don't have airbags (just seatbelts) and they make our collision speeds look like walking speed, it is rare for a driver to get seriously injured (considering the miles they drive every season). There are many, many ways to make a car safer, but then the manufacturing companies wouldn't make the same cash on the broken parts. Have you ever kicked in a car door? It's really easy and that is just a foot with rubber attached, how sturdy is that in a crash? Cars are made out of sheetmetal that gets thinner each year, thus the fancy grooves and curves so the sheetmetal doesn't bend or flop around since it is so thin. It takes very little energy to stick an end of a crowbar right through any body panel. And the chassis of the car is built out of the same flimsy sheetmetal spot welded together which further weakens the part. You can total a car in a 25mph accident and 75% of driving is at or above this speed, at 45mph nearly all cars will bend in the middle and crush your legs, yes at only 45mph, how fast do people drive on the freeway? 55-80!!!!

What would you rather hit, a steering wheel at 25mph or an exploding nylon bag at 1400mph? One hurts, the other kills, how can that be safer?, mind you they were meant to help non-seatbelted occupants. I dare you to get in a accident without you seatbelt and see how safe an airbag is...

Actually don't we would miss you here at the forum. :)

I can't believe they were 2000 bucks from totaling the car, man what has happened to the world.
If they do total it, I'll buy that engine!!!!!! :o ::) ;D 24valve V8 right? Amazing engine.

Glad your ok though, man I was in a MC accident, not so good, be glad you were not hurt!

HH

JW

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

True JW, very true. However on the race track even though you are going 200 mph the things you colide into are quite different. On roads where you can go 70 mph and there is no median just the yellow lines then if one car goes just a few feet to the left at 70 and hits another car at 70 the total impact is 140 mph. Like hitting a wall in a racecar at 140. The only difference is if your on the road your not likely to hit a car the same size as if you were racing. When an SUV collides with a compact or coupe, (both at the same spped) the suv will push the smaller car. Therefor for example a 2 - ton suv going 30 hits a 1 - ton compact going 30 the total collision speed is 60 mph. But because the suv is heavier it pushes harder on the compact making it go backwards also while the suv continues forward. So in this situation the suv probably suffers around 20 mph of the impact (it will be slowed from 30 down to 10 upon impact) and the smaller car will suffer 40 mph (it will bounce back and go backwards at 10 mph after the impact). True you could total a car going 25 but it depends what your driving and what car you hit. Also, in racecars they dont have airbags, but they do have helmets, seatbelts (over your chest) and a spring behind the helmet connecting to the seat to prevent your head from flying forward. When driving your head (chest) should be at LEAST 8 inches away from the steering wheel or airbag for it to work safely. And when it comes to side airbags what would you rather hit a glass window, or a bag of air? Its true though about the thin metal in cars. Its really sad. But, some modern cars are much safer than the older ones due to improved fenders and frames. I suggest you go to google video and view some car crash tests. Its interesting to see the ford f150 pickup truck crumple in a minor collision, while other cars wont. Its all about physiscs. Just my thoughts on this topic. HH

-CC

T

Txtreasure

I have always had the fear of being in the process of picking my nose at the time of air bag deployment. :o

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.

The important thing is that you are OK...
After the repairs are done sell the car and buy another one... LOL

Pimp Lenin

Apr 4, 2006
The Great State of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
P.O.S.

I've had a couple of close calls with kangaroos before. If you nail one of the big reds you can just go ahead and write your car off on the spot.

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000

Txtreasure said:
I have always had the fear of being in the process of picking my nose at the time of air bag deployment. :o

LOL!!!! Now you got me all freaked out! :D

CC- They have these little strong superlight compact cars in Germany that go against a real old LTD in a 45mph head-on, they found that the little car actually defied the age old assumption that little cars were more prone to damage. The little car really messed up the old LTD and had almost no visible damage.

The SUV vs. Subcompact accident is scary, it is the largest reason folks like the SUV's, everyone buys them so they will be in the SUV when they encounter that classic example. Have you seen the films of the minivan doors opening at the hinge end and letting the passenger fly towards the oncomming car when struck head-on. Not as safe as the mommies think...

I had a friend who was driving onj the freeway at 65 (the speed limit) a big rig tire shreded and a chunk hit the front of her car that was equipped with airbags. Normally(before airbags), everything would have been cool, maybe some cosmetic damage and frazzled nerves. Well, the airbag deployed (like it is designed to) and she had her hands torn from the wheel and the car hit the center divide and rolled. They called it an airbag induced accident. Like you said, they need to do some work on how and when those babies go off.

One last little thing, racing automobiles are not designed to hit anything, (thus the mandated crash assemblies) they are designed to be just strong enough to perform the task of going around the track as fast as possible without having any item that is extreanous (due to weight concerns). Look at Aryton Senna's crash, 180mph nearly head-on into a wall, the thing that killed him was a suspension part still attached to the wheel, the car would have protected him during such a crash had the suspension part not punctured his visor. Nigel Mamsell went backwards into the wall at Phoneix at 185 and survived (he was injured) his transmission punched a hole in a 26" thick concrete wall.... That would be the equivelent of being rearended at 90mph by another car. If you were in a passenger car I don't think they would be able to seperate your body from the vehicle... Not bad preformance for being designed just strong enough to hit the wall...

With the use of carbon fiber it is possible to build an automobile chassis that when struck by a big rig at 60mph could protect the passenger cell as a metal car would at 20mph. The reason that the big manufacturers don't build as such is beacuse of their investment in steel and die manufacturing, which is understandable since they have been using bent metal chassis since the 50's. It is hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

The good thing is that it leaves a whole new type of vehicle design open to anyone with the resources and capital to invest and produce a safe car that doesn't rely on an exploding object to protect to occupants.

HH

JW

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Im going to start a car company in a few years. No airbags, just safer cars.

-CC

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

Actuall nock on wood. We just bought another SUV today. Its a chevy. 5 star safety rating with 3 rows of seats. Looks like a great car.

-CC

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250

oops! Forgot to mention another reason why its good for the cars to bend in the front upon impact. It obsorbs the shock. If cars were made of something solid that didnt bend at all you would get flying forward anyways. They need cars to bend a little, but not so much. If you crash going 80 or more MPH in a car that wont obsorbe shock a plate in your neck can be ripped out of place causing immediate death. They really need to work on the cars these days. Wanna open up a company with me?

-CC

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada

Ahhh So 'now' your hunting with a Chevy Blazer Eh!... I Remember hitting a big doe with a 56 Fairlane back in 1963.. Took out a headlight, Rad, and totaled a side door. Repairs were about $250.00 back then.. (or, about 3 times your weekly wage).. Like every one said, it 'could' always be worse! You could have been driving a 'Smart Car'! I wonder how smart those people feel now!! Those things could pile into the ass of a moose, and become a 'smart suppository' in seconds ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread