Why is Site so slow and Chat down again????

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lessee....... Another blast from the past! How about spending 2 days typing in the code from Compute! magazine, to end up with a semi cool pgm.

How about a blast for the youngsters! Running a bulletin board (old school equivalent to a web site) on a Commodore64 with a ram expansion pack, 4 5 1/2 floppie drives and a super blazing fast 9600 baud dial up modem? And we were elite!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boogeyman said:
Lessee....... Another blast from the past! How about spending 2 days typing in the code from Compute! magazine, to end up with a semi cool pgm.

How about a blast for the youngsters! Running a bulletin board (old school equivalent to a web site) on a Commodore64 with a ram expansion pack, 4 5 1/2 floppie drives and a super blazing fast 9600 baud dial up modem? And we were elite!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Hey I remember the Commodore64......My first PC was a Tandy 1000, cost me well over a grand, no hard drives at that time, but it had twin floopy drives......WOOOOOOO HOOOOOO :icon_thumright:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone remember the Timex Sinclair aka Doorstop? I think they were the great great great great grandfathers of the pocket pc ;D I think the whole thing with a grocery receipt printer was $100. Only problem was noone wrote software for em. The nerds & nerdettes used to gut them to control robots.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Ah yes the Timex Sinclair. The programs came on audio cassettes, took forever to load and if the Ram expansion module moved even slightly, the computer rebooted.

Had a 64 and a 128. I remember my first IBM Compatible pc had 8 MB of Ram and an external 5 and a 1/4 floppy drive. I thought I was really something.

Wow how times have changed....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember when I saw my first hard drive for sale, 750 MB, I thought WOW that is a lot of storage, how could someone ever use that up..... Now we are buying Terrabyte drives....LOL

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
I remember when I saw my first hard drive for sale, 750 MB, I thought WOW that is a lot of storage, how could someone ever use that up..... Now we are buying Terrabyte drives....LOL
Funny if you think about it, For what that 750MB drive cost you could buy a case or two of thumb drives.

somewhere I've got a board that is about 18 x 18 inches the center lookslike window screen in a frame. Didn't know what it was until an old tech I knew told me it was RAM, and heald a whopping 2K. Amazing how far we've come.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread