Indianapolis 500...Sunday May 29th...I am excited!!!!!!

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Dano Sverige said:
pastorals said:
If you don't want stones thrown at you, don't you start throwing stones at others.

Alan

Good advice mate. I'll take it onboard immediately. ::)

Are you sure you're a guy? I've only ever known girls who were into Kokopelli. Bought a pair of Kokopelli earrings for a hot chick in Phoenix once, that got me a "genuine Stetson" in return. Her box was a lot bigger than mine lol...in more ways than one! ;D

Thanks for making this a thread that no one would want to let a 10 year old read...even though I probably wouldn't have anyway with the other killjoy that got on board early.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Fair enough. Post amended to suit ten year old minds. Although if she could have worked out the insinuation at the end i'd have been very impressed as i didn't expect many adult Americans to get it. No matter, my bad.

forum [ˈfɔːrəm]
n pl -rums, -ra [-rə]
1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Above is the definition of "forum". The operative words being "open discussion". If you didn't want comments or people to reply then you shouldn't have opened the thread in the first place.
Tips for forums:
1/ Not all people will agree with you, your views, your opinions, or your subject matter.
2/ Most people on forums like this one are adults..and automatically assume other members are adults too, hence, they post and reply ...like adults!

As far as i'm concerned you're going a bit over the top on this as i don't think Spart' or I said anything wrong? I highly doubt your daughter will be traumatized to find out there's no right hand turns in Indy racing?
We've both stated (since you brought her into the equation) that we're glad she had a great time and that the drivers did a wonderful job where she was concerned, and fail to see how you can be so upset because we had a little "poke" at what we think is a fairly monotonous event?
People only like motor racing events for the crashes, or the excitement of the last lap, i don't think the first of those is healthy for a ten year old, and they can be painful...as she found out...but that's the parents choice to let her see those and to kit her out in a fireproof suit and full faced helmet the next time she plays "Indycar" on her bicycle!

I guess what i'm really trying to say is...don't use the poor excuse of your daughter to fight back against someone who is poking fun at YOUR favourite racing event! :wink:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have turned down free tickets to the Daytona 500 several times myself, I also am not in to watching cars run in circles, but I do enjoy watching a good dirt track demolition derby, especially like trailer races and school buses.............. :laughing7:

Glad your daughter enjoyed herself, it is times like that, that she will remember spending with her dad the rest of her life...... :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Dano Sverige said:
Fair enough. Post amended to suit ten year old minds. Although if she could have worked out the insinuation at the end i'd have been very impressed as i didn't expect many adult Americans to get it. No matter, my bad.

forum [ˈfɔːrəm]
n pl -rums, -ra [-rə]
1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
3. a public meeting place for open discussion

Above is the definition of "forum". The operative words being "open discussion". If you didn't want comments or people to reply then you shouldn't have opened the thread in the first place.
Tips for forums:
1/ Not all people will agree with you, your views, your opinions, or your subject matter.
2/ Most people on forums like this one are adults..and automatically assume other members are adults too, hence, they post and reply ...like adults!

As far as i'm concerned you're going a bit over the top on this as i don't think Spart' or I said anything wrong? I highly doubt your daughter will be traumatized to find out there's no right hand turns in Indy racing?
We've both stated (since you brought her into the equation) that we're glad she had a great time and that the drivers did a wonderful job where she was concerned, and fail to see how you can be so upset because we had a little "poke" at what we think is a fairly monotonous event?
People only like motor racing events for the crashes, or the excitement of the last lap, i don't think the first of those is healthy for a ten year old, and they can be painful...as she found out...but that's the parents choice to let her see those and to kit her out in a fireproof suit and full faced helmet the next time she plays "Indycar" on her bicycle!

I guess what i'm really trying to say is...don't use the poor excuse of your daughter to fight back against someone who is poking fun at YOUR favourite racing event! :wink:

Fair enough, then.

FWIW, I hadn't used my daughter "to fight back". The OP wasn't about her. I ignored your first post, and followed up with a post about our exciting evening meeting the drivers. I didn't bring her into the fight.

My point is this: There are millions of threads on the internet. Most of them don't interest me in the least. I also don't waste my time posting on them either. I especially don't post on them them to be a killjoy.

If anyone wanted to post a dissenting opinion, why couldn't it have been posted as:

"I'm not a fan of oval racing and prefer F-1. That is real racing, LOL. Come to Europe sometime, and we'll show you the best cars in the world. Have a good time at your event!!!!! Enjoy your race!!!!"

Dano, even though I strongly suspect you are actually an American that lives abroad, why is it so important that you needle and poke so many Americans on this forum? I notice that you needle people in every sub-forum on this board. Not all of us are bad people, and not all of us agree with our government's policies. Not all of us are the war mongering, greedy, self centered, environmentally unaware that many in the world think we are.

You apparently have a certain charisma, and are obviously a well rounded, educated person...why not use that to your advantage, and catch more flies with honey rather than vinegar?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Indianapolis 500...Sunday May 29th...I am excited!!!!!! Updated

clovis97 said:
What a heartbreak for J.R. Hildebrand!!!! I met J.R. yesterday in Indianapolis. He is a very humble and down to earth young man. I think he will go far in this sport, possibly into star status, if he can keep performing like he did during the Indianapolis 500.

Do you mean he'll go far if he keeps crashing :dontknow: :laughing9:

I'm no fan of the sport and it seems that many are not a fan of J.R. Hildebrand either. Take a look at this article...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...brand-after-crash-at-indy-500/article2046233/

Then again, I like a guy who may cheat and get away with it too :thumbsup:

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to never miss a Nascar race. The Qualifying lineup 1st through 43rd is usually only seperated by a few seconds nowadays. The guy with the fastest most dominant car can't just check out and drive away anymore. I still watch just to see how Mark Martin does....Bring on the goldfish!!!!!!

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Clovis mate...It's true i have a genuine Stetson, a Pittsburgh steelers t-shirt, a t-shirt from Bourbon st new Orleans with a lot of swearing on it and even a Kevin Harvick t-shirt. I collect American police/military patches and pins, I collected all 50 state quarters for the 8 years that was running. I even have an American flag!
Most were sent to me in the mail to try and convert me to becoming an American...they failed! :laughing9:

I'm pure English mate, trust me. :wink:

I "needle" a lot of people basically because i'm a foriegner and don't toe the standard American line or way of thinking. Many don't understand the British penchant for "rivalry", and/or poking fun at anyone or anything that isn't ours (and a lot of things that are!).
There are 3 things that usually cause the problems with me. People have a different view/opinion....machismo BS...the American NEED to always be right, even when they know they're wrong!
It's not my fault many people fall into those catagories. I enjoy "poking" and the "rivalry", it's just a lot of the time, due to the above reasons, it'll turn vicious. :dontknow:

I know not all Americans are the stereotypical types that you mentioned. I've made many lifelong friends in the US who have responded to me in one way or another for years, hell of a lot of enemies too lol. The friends usually took/take things a step further than arguing and ask me stuff in private...most don't, so they never get to know the real me.
I like to be controversial, i like to play "devils advocate", i like to try and liven threads up a little. I'm not anti-American. I don't hate Americans, no matter who may think it.

I'm sorry you think i/we spoilt your thread. Was just a bit of a poke at Indycar. Had i said what you said might have been better then this thread would be a lot shorter...right?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dano, what's with the I/we thing? Are you throwing in the "Royal We", on this :dontknow:

Anyway, I struggle to write a thread, any thread and hope that anyone would reply. This is the first post I've seen from you in this section and it's already a "hot topic" , go figure :icon_scratch:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
The "I/we" thing is because i made the original "goldfish" dig at Indycar..and then you made a much bigger one...and got the blame! :laughing9:

So..not knowing who he's really blaming, i use it to signify both of us. :tongue3:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds fair to me, we'll split the blame 55/45. After all I think you're the one that got me started :laughing7:

You want to hear of another race idea? I was thinking the 250, but the whole race must be driven in reverse. This is a two fold event and even Treasure_Hunter would get on-board as it will be as close to a combo race/demolition derby as you can get :laughing7:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fearing, if I raise my head or make eye contact, blame will get heaped on me too, but, oh well, here goes anyway...............

Can I use this thread, for a thesis in my Psychology class, for personality types? :boxing: :violent1: :BangHead: :whip2: :tard: :protest: :crybaby2: :laughing7:
Ya'll all sound like a bunch of "girls" to me, sometimes, blah blah blah..........
I've used less words in a month, than some do here, in one thread! But, that keeps it going round, don't it?

Clovis, we're real happy for your daughter, and that is a precious memory, she will forever hold. Glad ya'll all had a real good time. Sorry everyone don't see the world through your eyes, just like you do, and just the way you want them to. Don't let that anger you, or flip your triggers, once the sharks smell blood in the water, well..............

Dano, spart, we can tell ya'll ain't prejudice! :laughing7:
Spreading it around equally, amongst everyone!
Sometimes, life is just so...............who wants to be all serious, all the time................nice to lighten up and let go, no matter which way the cars or goldfish, are running the track! :happy3: :laughing7:

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
pat-tekker-cat said:
Sorry everyone don't see the world through your eyes, just like you do, and just the way you want them to. Don't let that anger you, or flip your triggers, once the sharks smell blood in the water, well..............

It isn't really about liking IndyCar or not. It is simply about having the respect not to jump on another person's thread and become a killjoy.

I am not a fan of many things, in fact, I'm a pretty opinionated person. Just ask my wife. :laughing7: I just don't spend my time jacking with other folks threads if they don't interest me...and I don't understand why other people feel the need to do it.

For instance, I am not a dog person. I think they stink, slobber and poop too much. They are far more work and trouble than what they are worth. At the same time, you won't find me interjecting my opinions on threads about dogs, especially when someone is excited about them.

Just because a person owns a computer, and has internet access, doesn't mean they have to share an opinion, right?

KWIM?

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clovis, are you telling me you would prefer to have a cat? Sure bout that? LOL! :laughing7:

I have no clue what KWIM means, I'mma a cat for goodness sake! Though I do speak ICD9 and CPT codes, ok. To each his own, honey.

I feel, I'll interject my opinion, anywhere in this world I want to. That's my right, just as it is anothers.
But, my intentions of the heart, is to never hurt, anger, or cause fear, in another,......wait,.......oh yeah, I never do, do that.
That's anothers persons mind, making the decisions of how they wish to view things. (I didn't think I contolled anothers' mind, maybe I do :tard:)
If offense gets taken, I can always apologize and remove offensive material. I don't expect to be chained, beat, and crucified, cause someone else, cain't see a joke.

If ya put it out there, ya gonna have all types, see and opinionate on it, so sorry.
Are you not having fun, yet? Spices of life, my dear. The threads that weave the fabric of life.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clovis97, you post on a forum for what purpose :dontknow: To communicate I guess, perhaps discuss, or even debate things. Let's take a look at your initial post... Hmmmm, I notice from the first few lines you are a big fan of the Indy 500 race.. So far it's a post about your enjoyment of the sport, no problem..

But wait... What's this :icon_scratch: A question asking who else loves the race :dontknow: and yet another follow-up question. :laughing7:

clovis97 said:
Sunday marks my favorite day of the entire year. It will be race day in Indianapolis.

You see, I've been listening to the Indianapolis 500 since I was a wee lad, for my father had the radio on each and every day that qualifications were held, and especially on race day.

I am a full-fledged IndyCar and Indianapolis 500 fan starting in the early 70's.

Anyone else love the Indy 500?

Anyone else tuning in on Sunday?

Maybe you should have left the questions out. I guess as far as opinions are concerned, no one is entitled to to share their thoughts unless it is in 100% agreement with the author.

Boy, this would be a boring world if everyone were the same with their likes and dislikes.

Be thankful people replied at all, even if you don't see eye to eye. You asked a simple question and people gave you several different answers, and some you didn't like.. So who is being the killjoy :dontknow:

clovis97 said:
It isn't really about liking IndyCar or not. It is simply about having the respect not to jump on another person's thread and become a killjoy.

Just because a person owns a computer, and has internet access, doesn't mean they have to share an opinion, right?

clovis97, here is a little friendly advise, you can take it or leave it. If you want to write something and not get any feedback, don't ask a question :thumbsup: You are the one opening the doors for opinions by asking questions, and people are just giving what you asked for.

If you want to avoid people writing on your thread, "LOCK IT" so no one else can post on it :thumbsup:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
Your thread has 33 (now) replies. Without you, me, spart' or Pat...you'd have 8! We bring threads to life! ;D

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, mark this day on your calendar too.. It's the first time I remember giving good advise :laughing9:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ROFLMBO! :laughing7:
Spart, I see you are able to dissect real good with that sword of yours! :laughing7:
Real good picking apart there!
We have a nother name for it, but that's another forum, all together! :laughing7:

Next time I need surgery, we'll call ya, save money on the slicer and dicer, keep it sharp! LOL ! :laughing7:

I see Dano, ready to step up for consult, too! Unfortunantly, you may be needed! :read2:

Whoever said, great day at the races?................... :icon_scratch:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got an e-mail from Dante.. It reads: forums,

Abandon Hope, All Ye Who Enter Here :laughing9:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess this is the last lap for this thread, as I race to meet the checked flag

I win :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread