Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WHEW!!!

The other morning I attempted to download a puter update from Microsoft. It didn't work so well. SP3 isn't compatible with my puter for some reason and it put it into an eternal loop.
Being morning and only on my second cup of coffee, I made a bad choice to remedy the situation....I hit Recovery instead of restore.
Restore takes your puter back to an earlier time when it was working....recovery deletes ALL your files. All 31,000 files.....31,000 files worth of downloaded maps, pictures, historical ebooks, etc. WEEKS worth of downloading, hundreds and hundreds of hours of work...flushed into the big unknown. 30 gigabytes of data...GONE!

Fortunately for me, I had backed up my data on an external hard drive but...I couldn't access it because the program I used to back it up was also deleted.
I couldn't reinstall the program because now my computer was back to the original day I bought it and without the updates, it wouldn't allow the program to download.
I ended up buying a repair program to fix my registry since it got scrambled like eggs with all the changes that has been made to it over the years.

I finally got my files back except a few dozen that I hadn't backed up yet. And the ones that did restore are not in the same place they were originally, but thank god I had them backed up.

Things like the Sanborn maps were irreplaceable. I took advantage of the free time they had and downloaded every single map for 3/4 of the state of Pennsylvania. That alone was several evenings of endlessly downloading several gigabytes of data.

All my treasure hunting data could have been lost over a stupid mistake. That's 90% of what I have on this machine. Years worth of collecting, in a flash.

If you spend time researching data...back it up! And don't try to fix some minor computer issue when your still half asleep... ::) :coffee2:

And just a note...hitting recovery also deletes all your saved google earth files and overlays....couldn't recover that.

Al

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI deep sky: hmm yer '''almost''' as big an 'idjit' as me. heheeh My restore didn't work (?) so I tried an alternative. sniff. I had to reinstall windows XP Pro. however i didn't have a backup disc loaded. I still play russian roulet though since a backup disc isn't readily availabe down here.

Don jose de La Mancha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread