Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been on Google Earth?
It does weird things to my computer, causes them locks, basically shuts it down, when I exit. Just a thought.
Good luck! :angel1:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait for The beep goes on to show up. I know he is good with this.. Sounds like a virus, and I have been having some issues similar to yours that started yesterday :icon_scratch:

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be a few things. Have you tried rebooting? And, does the problem remain? It sounds like a process is running in the background taking up all the CPU cycles. If you right-click on the taskbar and start Task Manager and go to Processes and click the top of the CPU column it will order the processes by utilization...which process is utilizing the CPU when this happens?

It could also be a drive problem where there are errors and Windows is trying to fix them in the background. I lost a drive and it exhibited similar behavior before it crashed. Do some drive maintenance, perhaps. Registry, Cleanup, Defragment, etc. Might make a backup first.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, I swear Beep is not only a computer Wiz, but methinks he has ESP too... Scarey :laughing7:

K

Kentucky Kache

My old computer started freezing up, but it would stay frozen. I had to shut down, unplug my modem, reboot and then replug modem. That would fix it for a little while. The main fix was a new computer.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kentucky Kache said:
My old computer started freezing up, but it would stay frozen. I had to shut down, unplug my modem, reboot and then replug modem. That would fix it for a little while. The main fix was a new computer.
Ditto KK. I still got the old one, it will run for about 3 hours, till it heats up, with all the above mentioned symptoms. Just keeping it, for when I wanna bother to download everthing in it. No biggie really.

I woulda gave advice like beep, but, that would just have looked stupid, a cat giving computer advice! :laughing7:
Plus, I figured, he woulda done all that, too.
Good luck Jeff!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pat-tekker-cat said:
I woulda gave advice like beep, but, that would just have looked stupid, a cat giving computer advice! :laughing7:

Just imagine someone having to accept technical advise from me :laughing9: I think most would swear after following my advise, their computers will just explode. :laughing7:

S

Smee

pat-tekker-cat said:
Ditto KK. I still got the old one, it will run for about 3 hours, till it heats up, with all the above mentioned symptoms. Just keeping it, for when I wanna bother to download everthing in it. No biggie really.

Good luck Jeff!

Sounds like you may need a can of air . . . when is the last time you blew the dust off of your CPU heatsink and fan?

Special note to smokers: The oils in the tobacco smoke will be pulled into your computer and adhere to your CPU's heatsink and fan, causing it to lose its effectiveness for "cooling" and cause the system to get hotter . . . faster.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Usually, depending on the system board and BIOS, the computer will shut itself down if the CPU gets too hot. It's happened to me more than once. It never gave me jumpy performance before shutting down, but is entirely possible. There's a Vista/Win7 Gadget called All CPU Meter and, if used with Core Temp, can let you keep tabs on CPU temperatures. Intel has some cool utilities for some of their processors that include diagnostics and temp monitoring.

Jeff, if this is still occurring, what are you running?

http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDetail.aspx?li=587ef54f-e121-418b-b258-e583e105a0d6&bt=1&pl=1

http://alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Hot is the key word-
Also if you have 'tea timer' running in spybot it may do it depending how old your computer is.You would have to cancel tea timer out.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get a clean up at your local store

my puter just would boot me off the internet constantly last 2 weeks or so..drove me nuts.
my bro is a VP at a computer co. in NJ
I mailed it to him, he said my firewall/security was trying to update/download and not getting that accmoplished so it booted me off....he is mailing back yesterday to me all brand new and spanky clean......if you have freeze problems etc it is software screwing you up. take to computer store for clean up and all should work fine

good luck

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See FarmerChick, contrary to popular beliefs, NJ does have some good eggs

Self, not included :laughing9:

K

Kentucky Kache

spartacus53 said:
See FarmerChick, contrary to popular beliefs, NJ does have some good eggs

Self, not included :laughing9:

Yeah, but they have to move there from NC. lol
Just kidding. I have a good friend in NJ.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL I love Jersey
grew up there and bro still lives there
nothing wrong with Jersey!!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shut it down This Morning after Running Everything
& It still said windows is Shutting down
10 Minutes later when I Left.

It did finally shut down,
As it was off when I Just came Home.

seems OK Now

"Fingers crossed"

Even EMail Downloaded.

Thanks all If it starts again

I'll re_view The Above advice :thumbsup:

Jeff

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff make sure that it is not over heating , have you blown out the Processor heat sink and fan ?
This will cause this that you are seeing as it clocks down to cool off, It may be a virus but be sure to check the inside to make sure it is clean .

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daedalus said:
Jeff make sure that it is not over heating , have you blown out the Processor heat sink and fan ?
This will cause this that you are seeing as it clocks down to cool off, It may be a virus but be sure to check the inside to make sure it is clean .

I'm out of air till I can get to the store.

Fan was definately running Earlier
As I heard something running.

sometimes it gets loud

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread