Pontoons? Ideas wanted!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the deal:

For some time now I have had in my mind that I wanted to build a small, lightweight, pontoon type watercraft, something similar in appearance to a Hobie Cat sailboat. My situation now is affording me the time and I certainly need the project to help consume the many hours I have to spend at home now. So, in recent months I have been looking at all the different ways I can go about constructing the pontoons, even including the use of 10, 12, inch PVC pipe. But before I make that final decision I'm hoping some of you may have had experience with this sort of thing and I am hoping that you might be able to offer me other pontoon material options I am not aware of. The idea is to keep the watercraft light with a low profile, which is why I don't like the PVC concept because it is rather heavy and subject to cracking. So I'm all ears.....anyone got any ideas that you'd like to share?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before we get creative with the ideas, what type of water will you be plying this craft? :dontknow:

Ocean, river, lake???

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
Before we get creative with the ideas, what type of water will you be plying this craft? :dontknow:

Ocean, river, lake???

Smooth water with only mild currents. Nothing too rough.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texastee2007 said:
as a kid I had a really simple one built out of 55 gallon oil barrels attached together...it worked wonderful for the tank we used it in. Here are some links to much more efficient ones.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/home-built-pontoon-boat-how-to-build-a-pontoon-boat.html

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/home-built-pontoon-boat-how-to-build-a-pontoon-boat.html

This will be a small watercraft, no barrels, and the PVC is still an option but I'm hoping to find something with a bit flatter profile without having to actually build them, or the whole pontoon floats from scratch?

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check this out -

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tee, I've already worked out all the displacement, floatation, etc., factors, been thinking about this for a long time.
mojjax, that's pretty darn close to what I have in mind only I'm thinking 3hp - 5hp as my power source.

Just not sure if I want to use the PVC in light of an idea or optional ready made shell material that I may not have considered.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not against building the pontoons from scratch if I have to, but I'm really trying to avoid all the mess of glass work, etc. Again, I'm just exploring the pontoon options because I really can't do much else until the pontoon issue is decided. Not too crazy about the PVC concept but I may have to run with it or face building from scratch, which I would rather not do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread