Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kentucky Kache said:
poorhunter78 said:
poorhunter78 said:
Yup! I'd say 12-15 lb.

Wait I looked at the pic closer. 15-20lb. They are my favorite to battle to shore. Have set the hook on some big ones, And lost whole spools of heavy braided line. I had a setup 5 rods with Abu-Garcia baitcasters. Traded them all in for spincasters. To cast farther.

I never thought I could get use to baitcasters, so I never tried.

I didn't weigh this fish, but he was 20" long. Small compared to some, but he's the first of the season.
Oh Sorry KK, I had directed that at TexasTee's Flathead Pic! I was huntin my phot album. Found it. I show a few Soon.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When my Granpa's health got too bad for him to get out. I always offered to hunt for him, Mushrooms, Young deer loin. When I would go catfishing, Here around my area It is rare to catch any channel cats under 14 inches. So the Shenandoah is abundant with small to large cats. Granpa always told me " If it's bugger then an ear of corn I don't want it. So I adopted my theory which A buddy of mine still cracks me about. I Filet the Filet. If you catch a monster Just take yer filet knife and filet the filet. sometimes several times.Makes for more samich meat. :thumbsup:

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texastee2007 said:
actually if memory serves me right he is a Bull head.
I am pretty sure that is a Flathead Tee, The bullhead is what we refer to as a mudcat. yellowbelly. I have even heard them referred to by a Floridan as Buttercats. Unless we call the same fish different names. Here is a Flathead
Caught July 2006.

Attachments

• Scan_Pic0001.jpg
    Scan_Pic0001.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 235
  • Scan_Pic0002.jpg
    Scan_Pic0002.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 237

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one was from sept 2003.

Attachments

• Scan_Pic0003.jpg
    Scan_Pic0003.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 230

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texastee2007 said:
poorhunter78 said:

You need to play the music from Jaws when you show that. DANG
He was 38 inches long Tee. Was a handful to land.
Any one else have any monster catfish pics to share.
KK what do you think?

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

poorhunter78 said:
texastee2007 said:
poorhunter78 said:

You need to play the music from Jaws when you show that. DANG
He was 38 inches long Tee. Was a handful to land.
Any one else have any monster catfish pics to share.
KK what do you think?

Thats a doozy of a catfish. I've caught 'em like that, but it doesn't happen every trip.

Yeah, come on everybody, show us your fish.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Nice cats. I have many pictures but right now I am in the process of remodeling and have no idea where they are. I used to catch 15-25 pound bullheads and channels regularly. Once in a while I would catch a shovebill.We used to also do what we called graveling. We would take a shark hook,wire it onto a handle about 5 feet long,go to the river and look for big rocks with holes under them. Stick that hook back under the rock and try to grab onto a big cat.We have caught some huge cats that way. We hooked several we couldn't pull out. One in particular we hooked three times and finally gave up. It finally washed up on a shoal downstream and it was over 6 feet long.It could have easily been over 100 pounds.Wish I had taken a picture of it.It was a big yellow with black spots.Have also lost many rod/reel combos and many spools of line.Mostly our catfishing was done at night.I filet my also,but I start right behind the gills and filet toward the tail,then flip it over and skin it with the knife,just as I do all fish.Good Luck. rockhound

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another handful: 38 1/4 inch.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 223
OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

texastee2007 said:
KK are you out fishing again? Catfish FRYday

Not today, been busy gardening and mowing. Maybe soon.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texastee2007 said:
KK are you out fishing again? Catfish FRYday
Speaking Of

Attachments

• Scan_Pic0001.jpg
    Scan_Pic0001.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 194

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
poorhunter78 said:
Kentucky Kache said:
poorhunter78 said:
Kentucky Kache said:
poorhunter78 said:
How long it take you to peel them filet's off that Whisker fish KK? :dontknow:
I was taught by granpa, then reassured by my dad! I can have the filet's off a 12-20 inch channel in 30-45 seconds, With a sharp knife and my skinnin pliers.

Just curious if the same method is used?

It takes me a little longer than that. I fillet from the tail up. I know, it's backward, but that's the way I learned it, and old habits are hard to break.
I stick the knife through by the horns, Where the gills are. Cut down to the anus. then cut from the dorsal to the head. Then cut through the skin on each side of the head. Then take pliers and peel the skin off. Break the tail end off, Wash, rinse in water. Then filet from the tail up. Sound familiar?

I take off the head, gut the fish, and fillet both sides from the tail up. I fillet the skin just like any other fish, except you have to be a little more tender with it. The meat around the rib area I like to save for bait.
An old timer from where we camped on the shenandoah. RIP Dink Wilfong, A great knowledgable man. Used to ly the catfish on its belly, on a board. Just cut right strait down both sides of the fish. Then peel the skin off. I am very efficient with the way I have learned. Can't understand other ways cause I only know of 1. I aint seen anyone filet a fish the way I do. :dontknow: Thats why I had to ask. :thumbsup:
Dink Wilfong ? Was that Dewy from Parsons that had farms , trucking company , and other buisnesses ? If so , our world just got even smaller .

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
truckinbutch said:
poorhunter78 said:
Kentucky Kache said:
poorhunter78 said:
Kentucky Kache said:
poorhunter78 said:
How long it take you to peel them filet's off that Whisker fish KK? :dontknow:
I was taught by granpa, then reassured by my dad! I can have the filet's off a 12-20 inch channel in 30-45 seconds, With a sharp knife and my skinnin pliers.

Just curious if the same method is used?

It takes me a little longer than that. I fillet from the tail up. I know, it's backward, but that's the way I learned it, and old habits are hard to break.
I stick the knife through by the horns, Where the gills are. Cut down to the anus. then cut from the dorsal to the head. Then cut through the skin on each side of the head. Then take pliers and peel the skin off. Break the tail end off, Wash, rinse in water. Then filet from the tail up. Sound familiar?

I take off the head, gut the fish, and fillet both sides from the tail up. I fillet the skin just like any other fish, except you have to be a little more tender with it. The meat around the rib area I like to save for bait.
An old timer from where we camped on the shenandoah. RIP Dink Wilfong, A great knowledgable man. Used to ly the catfish on its belly, on a board. Just cut right strait down both sides of the fish. Then peel the skin off. I am very efficient with the way I have learned. Can't understand other ways cause I only know of 1. I aint seen anyone filet a fish the way I do. :dontknow: Thats why I had to ask. :thumbsup:
Dink Wilfong ? Was that Dewy from Parsons that had farms , trucking company , and other buisnesses ? If so , our world just got even smaller .
Jim, All I ever knew him as was Dink. I know his wife Nancy. Now a buddy of mine works with their son in the Mines But unsure of his name. But I will find out If we got the same Dink.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
truckinbutch said:
I think maybe not , Ben , maybe yes . One of Dewy's sons is opening a truck terminal in Fairmont .
I will try and catch my buddy 2mar, And find what that name is. I wish I could remember some of the whole stories he told. Just catchin bits & pieces as I try and remember. But he did tell some great fishing stories. He ran the camp and worked for a rafting outfit upriver from Harpers Ferry. He would make sure we had a spot to camp, if we showed up unexpected. Would cut us deals on campin rates. We always supplied him with plenty of empty beer cans at the end of our stay. Always give him a snapper or two. He was a Legend from what I knew of him. Got real sick, had got Gangreen. I remember him telling me last time I saw him how they cut him open from chin to waste and had to massage the stuff out of his insides. He was doin alot better just weak. They had quit workin at the camp a few years ago. and last year I heard of his death. Just aint the same bringin the boat to camp and Dink aint there to meet us to see our catch.
Sorry for rambling folks, Ol' Dink was a very good Distant friend.

Poorhunter

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Folks for gettin off the topic.

For that I will give more. here, Enjoy.

Attachments

• Scan_Pic0010.jpg
    Scan_Pic0010.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Scan_Pic0009.jpg
    Scan_Pic0009.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 162
  • Scan_Pic0004.jpg
    Scan_Pic0004.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 88
  • Scan_Pic0003.jpg
    Scan_Pic0003.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Scan_Pic0011.jpg
    Scan_Pic0011.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 173

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jut wait til it cools in the evening and get at it!
Just got hunt&fish license yesterday. CATFISH BEWARE!

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texastee2007 said:
at over 600 pounds I expect you will be showing us one of these next....you need to change your name to catfish hunter!
The Mekong river in thailand. has some real abominations swimming in those waters. Jeremy wade done a river monsters show over there. He caught those, but no where near that size.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it was called a demon fish by the local tribe.
This big TEETHY wonder he caught on the show, He was upset cause he releases all his catches back into the water. The tribe believe the fish to be evil so they took it and were either. Cooking it, or just burning it in the fire. :thumbsup: Jeremy Wade has a very neat job. But he does take a lot of risks. Google Jeremy Wade--Electric eel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread