May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this at an estate sale and wonder if anyone knows anything about it. It is a chess piece and I have the complete set. They look hand made because they are all a little different. Maybe Ivory or bone :dontknow: Thanks

006.JPG

005.JPG

007.JPG

010.JPG

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
texastee2007 said:

Hey TTee . .now, you're smart too . . .remember we went through college together and had to stoop to posing for 'certain' statues . .LOL. :laughing7:

BigMike, I'm not really familiar with vintage chess sets, but they have a Polynesian look to me. They could be made out of resin, bone, or ivory. I can't tell from the pics, but here is how you can tell the difference:

Use a jeweler's loop or magnifying class to study the surface. Bone will have little tiny pores and most of the time they will look like tiny black specks, which is caused by dirt getting into the pores.

Ivory will have schreger lines, which looks like circular rings. Resin has the weight of ivory, but lacks the ring lines. Some fake ivory is even made with lines, but the fakes have UNIFORM lines, whereas real ivory has irregular lines.

Ivory is generally colder than room temperature. Place one of the chess pieces on your cheek, if it feels cold and has the schreger lines, then it is probably ivory. Resin will feel the same as room temperature. Also you can use a pair of pliers to hold a sewing needle over a candle flame until it is red hot, then try to pierce the chess piece. Ivory cannot be pierced even with a red hot needle, but resin can. Bone will smell like burn hair.

Hopefully this has been helpful. Let me know how your test turned out. Neat chess set :thumbsup: Breezie

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Breezie, would that be the statue with no arms? Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread