Dealing with bees nests .

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Dealing with bee's nests .

It's horntail fly season again . I'd like to share the safest , nontoxic way to deal with these critters
that I know .
Locate the nest during the day . Go back after dark with a rag or cotton batting torch on a metal
rod . Soak the torch in flamable liquid and stick in ground a safe distance from the nest and light .
With a long pole from an angle not in line with the light disturb the nest . Angry bees will swarm out of the nest directly into the flame , burning off their wings . No structures are in danger this way and there are no toxins left in the ground .

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Dealing with bee's nests .

good idea :thumbsup:

I Usually just bust the nest down and
stand still, duck, run,
depending on type.

only bees i ever get stung by are the ones I
put my hands on, or if I Step or kneal on their nests.

the other weekend one landed on my Detector Handle
& I Pinched him between My hand
& the Handle. He got mad & Stung me.
He learned a lesson :laughing7:

The pain went away.
He died ;D

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP

I hate them rascals! Good idea though, we just soak them in gas and light a match. Talking about fire flies! :laughing7:

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GaDigger81 said:
I hate them rascals! Good idea though, we just soak them in gas and light a match. Talking about fire flies! :laughing7:
I sat for over an hour last summer watching fireflies. Took almost 2 gallon of gas to watch them dance so long. Next day dug open the hole. The size of a 5 gallon bucket.

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP

poorhunter78 said:
GaDigger81 said:
I sat for over an hour last summer watching fireflies. Took almost 2 gallon of gas to watch them dance so long. Next day dug open the hole. The size of a 5 gallon bucket.

Who cares the price of gas in them situations! :laughing7:

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GaDigger81 said:
poorhunter78 said:
GaDigger81 said:

I hear yuh! almost 4 bucks a gallon. Thats cheaper than a can of Raid.

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP

poorhunter78 said:
GaDigger81 said:
poorhunter78 said:
GaDigger81 said:

I hear yuh! almost 4 bucks a gallon. Thats cheaper than a can of Raid.

Raids no fun :laughing9:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I hate when they decide to put their nest somewhere in your home. Put I found out how to deal with them. When I find the hole that they are using to come out and in I pull out the shop vac and duct tape the nozzle about 1/4" from the hole. Turn on the shop vac and when the little devils start useing the hole the shop vac will suck them in. Then after a hour or so I spray a little bit of killer spray in after a couple of days they are all gone.......Matt

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

I 'CAN' tell you, that the best wasp killer is soapy water. If you put dish soap in a spray bottle (mixed with water of course), and hit them with just a droplet, they'll fall down fast that you can say dead wasp. Bee's a a little different. Not as effective.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm Going to use They spray I use a work I can Shoot A stream up to 20 feet And never get near them!!! If I get stung Either it Hurts Or I'm going to the ER VIA Ambulance Every reaction Is different Only Had to stay In the Hospital once!!!! Very allergic to them all types!!!! Hh Chug As I say Better DEAD THAN NEAR ME!!!!!!

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I prefer to catch BRAKE PARTS CLEANER on sale at the parts store through out the year and stock up on a few cans. Shoot the pestering bug with its spray, They drop. It works great they dont fly away. Plus this stuff just evaporates, dissapates, no smell after afew minutes. best grease & grime remover. Many good uses.
Poorhuntr

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

poorhunter78 said:
I prefer to catch BRAKE PARTS CLEANER on sale at the parts store through out the year and stock up on a few cans. Shoot the pestering bug with its spray, They drop. It works great they dont fly away. Plus this stuff just evaporates, dissapates, no smell after afew minutes. best grease & grime remover. Many good uses.
Poorhuntr

Yea I'v used Cleaner & Liquid Wrench already :thumbsup:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

Here's a crazy one. The carpenter bees eat holes in the wood trim of my house. They also dive bomb me. The good thing is they have no stingers. They look like bumble bees but have a big white dot between their eyes. I finally got tired of it and went to Harbor Freight and got one of there electric tennis rackets for $4. It's great sport! Frank

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Frankn said:
Here's a crazy one. The carpenter bees eat holes in the wood trim of my house. They also dive bomb me. The good thing is they have no stingers. They look like bumble bees but have a big white dot between their eyes. I finally got tired of it and went to Harbor Freight and got one of there electric tennis rackets for $4. It's great sport! Frank
I never heard of such a thing :icon_thumright: Tell us more . I can see a great summer away from a TV for several grandkids with a device like that .

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I love the racket for all Flying Pests!!!! Doing apt Maint I require The Person reporting the issue at the apt To be Home When I spray the Buggers!!! also they have to be able to call 911 when I start spraying Or IM NOT DOING IT!!!! I will give them My cell phone if they don't Have one !!!! I have been stung once in the last 20 years and It has caused the sting area to Be Insensitive!!! I can poke a needle into the back of my leg and Not feel it!!! I don't take chances!!!! The time before that I was in the Hospital overnight in Shock!!!! chug

Yes I will go running away from them BUT NOT SCREAMING LIKE A GIRL!!!! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: I knew that one was a Comming!!!

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP

Frankn said:

I use a baseball bat, a little harder but the PING makes it worth it. :headbang:

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

badmitton Racket would serve a good purpose I assume!

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005

Badmitten,tennis racket,wiffle ball bat, all work good on boring bees. The electronic one works especially well on them. After you miss one though,you will have a harder time getting close to him again. After you kill several,the rest will avoid you like the plague. I have found that in those times a regular BB gun works wonders. If you can catch them hovering in mid air,then you can take them out. They never do get fast enough to avoid a BB screaming at them. By the end of summer the war is over and either I have won or they have bored their holes and laid their eggs. I then find their holes and fill them with a caulking gun filled with cheap caulking.This will shut off the air supply so that they will not hatch out. Hornets,yellowjackets and bumblebees, I treat differently.Good luck. rockhound

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

For those of you that haven't seen it . The electronic tennis racket is like those bug zappers, but more fun. The carpenter bees attack anything entering their territory. I just wave the racket around and they dive bomb me. I have never been bitten by one. I think they only bite other insects that invade their territory. You have to keep fresh batteries in it or it acts as a stun gun.
Frank You can probably order it from Harbor Freight on line.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Carpenter bees were my arch enemy for a while until I found out you can just plug their holes with silicone caulk. You have to do it late at night when they are all in their burrows though. Regular bees can be profitable, get in touch with a local bee keeper, they'll usually remove the nest and throw you a few bucks for the heads up. Other stingy things like yellow jackets get the raid treatment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread