What was your experience with hypertension meds?

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
MikeOfAustin (me) seems to be a much calmer person these days (I'm on the 3rd day of being on these things). Just today, I was working on a project for work when I found a glitch that just didn't make since, and I 'should have' went through the roof. Even the dogs usually leave the room when I start yelling. But instead, I found myself saying, "Well, that's a twist of ugly behavior". I caught myself... remembering that it should have sent me through the roof. I also perused some of my brothers antics with his conspiracy theories and said to myself, "Well, that's just something I don't care to talk about". Kind of like, if someone wanted to talk to you about the Hello-Kitty Franchise (we really just don't have interest in it). One thing for sure though, I feel like I'm breathing more, and getting an 'oxygen buzz' (like ephedrine). I talked to my medic friend and he told me that's expected and will go away after a few weeks. I actually had to cut the pill in half after yesterday's episode of feeling like I was on cloud 9. Looking again at the dosage, I realized I was taking 40mG when I should have been taking 20mG in the first 2 weeks, and then Later, switch to 40mG. (I'm currently on the office samples called Benicar HCT 40mg/12.5mg).

Kick sand in my face... and I'll probably say, "Well, that's not very nice. I sure hope the sand doesn't mind if I wipe it out of my eye". (Yeah, silly I know... but that's kind of how I'm feeling right now. Strange new behaviors).

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Mark Twain wrote: "When angry count to 10. When very angry swear."

Here is wisdom. One of the easiest (and no drug side-effects) way of managing hypertension is by doing a simple exercise involving breathing. It's really a form of meditation. It will lower your blood pressure 20 or more points in less than a minute.

I'm not a doctor. But here it is. You're free to use it (or not). BTW, I got this from Dr. Andrew Weil from one of his books. I have demonstrated its effectiveness to several of my personal physicians to show them it is possible to reduce your blood pressure by (literally) thinking about it:

Clear your mind. Calm yourself. Try to remain calm while doing this exercise.

Concentrate on your breathing. Breathe in for 4 heartbeats. Hold your breath for up to 8 heartbeats. Exhale slowly for 4 heartbeats. Repeat 3 times. (Hint: If you can't hold your breath for 8 heartbeats, do 4 or 6 or whatever you can do. But try to lengthen the interval to 8 heartbeats or more. If you are calm and quiet this should occur within 3 minutes, even if you have never tried it before.)

This is an easy and simple exercise. It can reduce your blood pressure by up to 40 points in less than a minute, give or take. Try doing it yourself. It works for me.

BTW, Dr. Weil has stated that 80% of all prescriptions written in the US are, at best, bad for you. They treat symptoms intead of the illness. Hypertension is one of the easiest things you can treat yourself. It costs you nothing but a minute or two of your time.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Tuberale said:
Mark Twain wrote: "When angry count to 10. When very angry swear."

Here is wisdom. One of the easiest (and no drug side-effects) way of managing hypertension is by doing a simple exercise involving breathing. It's really a form of meditation. It will lower your blood pressure 20 or more points in less than a minute.

I'm not a doctor. But here it is. You're free to use it (or not). BTW, I got this from Dr. Andrew Weil from one of his books. I have demonstrated its effectiveness to several of my personal physicians to show them it is possible to reduce your blood pressure by (literally) thinking about it:

Clear your mind. Calm yourself. Try to remain calm while doing this exercise.

Concentrate on your breathing. Breathe in for 4 heartbeats. Hold your breath for up to 8 heartbeats. Exhale slowly for 4 heartbeats. Repeat 3 times. (Hint: If you can't hold your breath for 8 heartbeats, do 4 or 6 or whatever you can do. But try to lengthen the interval to 8 heartbeats or more. If you are calm and quiet this should occur within 3 minutes, even if you have never tried it before.)

This is an easy and simple exercise. It can reduce your blood pressure by up to 40 points in less than a minute, give or take. Try doing it yourself. It works for me.

BTW, Dr. Weil has stated that 80% of all prescriptions written in the US are, at best, bad for you. They treat symptoms intead of the illness. Hypertension is one of the easiest things you can treat yourself. It costs you nothing but a minute or two of your time.

I am a complete believer of natural remedies. In fact, high bloop pressure, fruits and veggies, and cut down on the alcohol (natural). There are too many occasions when doctors prescribe drugs to kids that don't need them, when they just need to get out and run around to use up their energy (but they'd rather prescribe them drugs).

I was greatful when I met my recent doc (she's from India). Most Indian's believe in natural remedies. In fact, she touched on potential giving me something for my anxiety, and when I told her that I feel that anxiety is a mind problem, not a chemical problem, she completely agreed with me.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blood pressure is a combination of a lot of things. Starting with your heritage (genes) and going all the way to how much you weigh (per your body stucture, not per a chart), to how much real exercise you get.

As far as meds go - and this is just my opinion - all doctors should try to make sure that diet is a big part of blood pressure control. Blood pressure (normal bp) is NOT what happens when you get angry. That's a whole 'nother type of blood pressure rising. Yes, constant stress can affect blood pressure, but only because it can change the elasticity of your veins and arteries (especially at rest) if they are in a state of prolonged extension.

Systolic is the pressure your blood vessels have during heartbeat (top number)

Diastolic is the pressure of your blood vessels at rest (lower number)

Your diastolic pressure can change up and down several times during the day. (sitting, standing, exercise and smoking can all change that number).

Besides your diastolic pressure and your systolic pressure - the difference between the two, is an important number. (for deciding on meds, diet, etc).

For hypertension meds - all these should be taken into consideration - if you get put on a med - read the side effects carefully, and anything unusual should be reported. Like most meds, its an individual thing.

Beth

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Hey Mike, I've been taking hyzaar for about 4 years now, and I noticed fairly quickly that i was more relaxed, less prone to anger and over-reacting. I love the feeling! i have a geneticlly inherited hypertension, not over-weight, and eat and exercise fairly well. without a daily pill, my pressure rises alarmingly.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
naturegirl said:
Hey Mike, I've been taking hyzaar for about 4 years now, and I noticed fairly quickly that i was more relaxed, less prone to anger and over-reacting. I love the feeling! i have a geneticlly inherited hypertension, not over-weight, and eat and exercise fairly well. without a daily pill, my pressure rises alarmingly.

My doc tells me that after the meds that she gave me (free of charge for a month), that I would be able to phone in, and get a prescription. She told me that the meds that she gave me, was quite expensive. However, after the one month trial, she will give me a script for a much cheaper drug. Granted, that I monitored my own BP. So far, you can still kick sand in my face and I'm doing good.

S

Smee

I had a similar experience with Verelan. It was not only managing my BP well, I was much easier to get along with as I didn't feel mad all the time (I have always worked in stressful types of employment). The doctor changed my prescription - never said why, but now I know that every time they change your prescriptions they get a kickback - and my demeanor changed back to very agressive.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I had the same effects with Benicar . Both positive and negative . The negative effects went away in a short time .
It is very expensive and my health plan insisted I switch to Diovan . So far doing well with it .

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say I'm with Tuberale on this for the most part.. It is not only stress that leads to hypertension, smoking and diet are other key factors. So you really have to evaluate several factors that in combination can led to worsening your condition.

Much is mind over matter.. Like I have said in the past I can raise and lower my cholesterol and blood pressure at will

Not only that, but with practice I have been able to raise and lower hypertension in other people :laughing9:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
spartacus53 said:
I have to say I'm with Tuberale on this for the most part.. It is not only stress that leads to hypertension, smoking and diet are other key factors. So you really have to evaluate several factors that in combination can led to worsening your condition.

Much is mind over matter.. Like I have said in the past I can raise and lower my cholesterol and blood pressure at will

Not only that, but with practice I have been able to raise and lower hypertension in other people :laughing9:
I didn't state that first part. I believe it was Mrs.OroBlanco who did. I believe she is correct, too.

I question whether you can lower your cholesterol by will. Lowering your blood pressure is possible.

Did you know that even laughing can raise your blood pressure? <chuckle, trying to keep it low>

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can burp and your blood pressure can rise :tongue3: Generally speaking; laughing will lower your BP, just not immediately, so you'll have to wait a few minutes.. I suggest smiling while you're waiting ;D

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: :laughing7:

Yep, blood pressure does go through different levels all day long.

Of course, hypertension is not the same as your blood pressure just rising - its a medical condition that doesn't allow your blood pressure to come back to normal on a regular basis - which causes damage to organs and blood vessels. Constant high blood pressure is murder on the vascular system - it can be caused by the vascular system too - and then just makes itself worse.

I spent 25 years trying to explain that to my mother-in-law - she took high blood pressure meds, and then, after a few months, it would get under control and she would stop her meds - she figured it was ok now - and, of course, within a few weeks, she was right back to being up, then she'd go back on meds - and eventually, she had a stroke, (after that one, she got more serious about it) but, then, she started in again with the stopping the meds until she had another, a bunch of TIA's and then another stroke, and then we buried her.

Laughing is good for your system - laugh as often as you can.

There are enough blood pressure meds out there where you can find one that makes you feel normal and controls your pressure. You don't have to settle for feeling sluggish, or hyper, or angry or impotent.

We are all the masters of our health - if you don't feel like yourself, you know it - your doctor doesn't. Its our job to make sure that our doctors are attending to our issues.

Beth

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it would be difficult to prove that cholesterol count on this forum, so you can take my word, nor not. ;D

Maybe you will take into consideration, that I can raise and lower peoples BP... I do have a proven track record for that.. :laughing7:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco, correct... Keep in mind diet and lifestyle are also important factors. :thumbsup:

Right now I am in the middle of an experiment, that I will be rising the BP, of a selected few, and lowering the BP of many more. :thumbsup: :headbang: :hello2:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind diet and lifestyle are also important factors

I agree - as I said before - AND, unfortunately - genetics. (the one thing you cannot change).

Beth

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
From my experience I'd say approx. 85% of the people who need to take blood pressure meds wouldn't need them if they lost weight and/or exercised more. All meds do bad things that will eventually cause trouble. There are no free rides.

S

stefen

truckinbutch said:
I had the same effects with Benicar . Both positive and negative . The negative effects went away in a short time .
It is very expensive and my health plan insisted I switch to Diovan . So far doing well with it .

Sure makin ole El Toro nervious :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread