Hey New Yorkers - question

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a teen in 1979 when my cousin took me on a whirlwind one-day tour of the Big Apple, which included my first subway ride. My question is, can anyone tell me which line I took? The day started out at the Empire State Building, then Radio City, then we hopped onto the subway to Madison Square Garden for a Rangers game. I remember him saying the subway was the best bet, that way we'd avoid the "working girls" (Times Square?). I thought, what's wrong with women working?? Yup, young and naive... :D

OP
OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, a LOT to look thru there. Thanks tee.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could have been the M, or E train to Heralds Sq.. I'm guessing you got off near Macy's on 34th ST and had to walk that one long block.. If you walked east, you were on the E train, right to Penn Sta. In NYC, all the crosstown blocks are very long.. In many cases 2-3 time longer than the north/south streets.

I left off the lines that I know run well west of Rockerfeller Plaza, like the 1, 2 ,3 trains. Had you rode those lines you would have been in the basement of MSG :tongue3:

P.S. All the lines are still as noisy and hot as the last time you were here, but a bit cleaner :laughing9:

I also love watching out of towner's try and navigate the subway system and change trains too. Lucky for you that you have a native NY'er with you.

OP
OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was an experience for sure! I do remember a LOT of walking.

On the subway there was this um, questionable guy sitting across from me. After we got off my cousin, 6'3" and imposing, said "I was watching that guy. If he had tried something I was gonna put my umbrella thru his head." LOL

We drove in from Stamford and at one stretch there was nothing but rows and rows of empty burned out apartment buildings. Weirdest thing I ever saw.

During the game I had the biggest dang pretzel I'd ever had. Had to hold it with two hands and my jaw was sore from chewing. Great times!

Thanks for the info Spart! :icon_thumleft:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you did get to at least enjoy the skyline of the Beautiful Bronx. Riding in that depressed roadway looking up in many occasions to view those buildings was the treat itself...

Here is also a little history for you... Just before you reached 3rd Ave you could have looked up on your left-hand side and saw my old school JHS, the Bronx's PS 44, aka David Farragut.. Our most infamous alumni was none other than Lee Harvey Oswald.

It also appears that you were in one of the more reasonable cars on that train... The city usually goes out of their way to put several of these questionable types in each car. :tongue3:

Funny enough, there are times I still miss The Bronx :thumbsup:

OP
OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, amazing! So cool to know where I was so many years later.

While we were walking more than once he had to grab my jacket or else I woulda been taxi roadkill. A small town kid like me just assumed they'd stop. But then my cousin wasn't any better - he'd run red lights with the best of em. LOL A real big city education.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions