Another Looming Crisis?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've met several people lately who can longer afford internet service and computer cost. Since just about "everything" is being pushed toward internet business, it made me wonder how all these new online systems are going to workout in light of the rising number of people who are no longer able to afford the required service and equipment? What's your thoughts?

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is still free interent access

no one wants it cause it takes too long to download 'anything' :laughing7:

worse case EVER for me is free interent LOL

I do everything online....so it is a 'keeper' for me and I will CUT tons before giving up faster internet lol

but yea, times are rough. you have to cut, you must...simple as that....people can EASILY DO WITHOUT the internet. My parents never had it and still don't. IT IS NOT the way you must live, it is a want.

So interent is a want. Not a need. (but that is why we have tons of problems in this world, wants vs. needs)

No interent is NOT necessary in life at all

K

Kentucky Kache

I think it's like food and gasoline. The providers know that we have to have it...in this case we THINK we have to have it, so they don't need to worry about it. I still have internet at home, but I must keep in mind that McDonalds and a few other places around offer free wi-fi. ;D

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
texastee2007 said:
You have to cut other things...we do not have a land line here only cell service. My computer saves me so much in the way of information and shopping without having to leave home as things are all pretty far away. If I have to go to town...my day is gone, not to mention the ware and tear on our car, get a flat, ticket or break down and that will more then pay for service for the year. You do not want to be sitting on the side of the road here in -12° or 110° weather as both could kill you. Sometimes it hails.....not good on you or your car. So it is all a balancing act. If we have to keep cutting however it could be one of the things that will have to go.
What the Hail, That thing is huge.. That would leave a mark....

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess what I was getting at was this.........big business and government offices are really trending toward total internet resources in an effort to continue cutting cost, it's already nearly an impossible task to talk to a rep. However, it seems to me that this trending and cost savings is becoming too big of a financial burden on an increasing number of people. Add to this that the technology is advancing so quickly it's becoming more and more costly for people to keep up with. I don't know, just seems it's not going to workout as well as planned in the end? :dontknow:

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technology is like a drug. Many people need it, and could hardly function without it. Things like Facebook and Twitter have taken control of peoples lives and before they know it, they are addicted.

There could come a time when people will spend their entire lives on the internet.

Hmm, could I be addicted to T-net? :icon_scratch:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
free wifi
never thought of that one, sure a good way to get the net if needed lol

business has to offer paper options. MANY people are not on the internet truly. I don't forsee any time soon that a company will only offer internet bills etc. All the companies I deal with offer paper options but sure plug the paperless email billings etc.

I don't see it as costly to 'keep up' at all. My computer is old. yup. had it a very long time and I own no ipods, msp player or any of that other stuff. I don't have a kindle, not going to buy one, I read a real book lol

I just don't see it as big of a worry now. WAY in the future maybe, but not any time soon.

K

Kentucky Kache

bigscoop said:
I don't know, just seems it's not going to workout as well as planned in the end? :dontknow:

Of course it's not. Otherwise it wouldn't be called the end. ;D

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pay all my bills on-line, its fast, easy, and safe. Much safer than putting a check in your mail box, and hoping someone doesnt steal it. I dont even send snail mail anymore. I just had a problem with car registration. The car is in Cali, but I am in a different part of the world. I needed to get some money to a friend, so they could take care of that problem for me, but no one would give me their bank account number, so I could send the money. Seems my 3 friends dont trust the internet, and afraid someone will steal their ID. A lot of people are still living in the 1800's, and they can spend the whole day, driving around to different places to pay their bills, and never consider the cost, or trouble.

But one thing, it isnt free, even McDonalds. How much does your gas cost and do you have a cup of coffee or maybe even a big Mc? Your paying for it, one way or another. Kind of like me going to the beach, right after I post this, and think I will find more clad, than the cost of fuel I will burn. Of course I could go to the beach and just sit there, then I wouldnt find anything, so now my chances are much better of breaking even, and with the price of gold now, wow, I might just win the jack pot!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maipenrai,
You bring up a good point, a lot of people do not trust internet safety, and I think that's a big problem area. Personally, I don't think most people feel they are computer savvy enough to know how to protect their information, and who can blame them? For a lot of users, especially older users who were not raised with the internet & computer tech, the internet & tech advances pass them by before they ever get comfortable learning and using what they have.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread