antiques shows are like museums on acid

arob

Nov 27, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a linear thinker and i like stories that have a beginning, middle and end, in that order. I like museums because they present all the parts and pieces of each era separately and that makes it easy for me to digest their knowledge; the data is in context.

IMG_1908.JPG

So it follows that I find antiques shows disturbing because everything is so confused , a jumble. no inventory management system exists to show me where all the material for each time period and region is being contained, and so my mind must sort out the material all by itself. Its processing the pretty pictures, pottery, tribal masks, pewter tankards beside pioneer tools showcased on Georgian furniture and fine art from every age and region of planet Earth jumbled together and its overwhelming... repulsing

IMG_1907.JPG

Seriously, I wrote about the Premier Antique Show Oct 28 in Toronto on Dumpdiggers earlier today to showcase Canada's foremost sophisticated antiques dealers at the top of the game, the cream of the crop - the PGA of professional antiques collecting everything here is mint condition and beautiful to behold. But are there any bargains you ask? Yes. Most antiques dealers here are over sixty years old and their stuff is priced to sell.

IMG_1887.JPG

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand. Are you complaining because of the eclectic mix of objects displayed and available at the shows? Or is it because of the various dealers mix of time periods within their collections? Or because of the way they are displayed? Or the fact that there are no bottles or insulators to be found? Or because the dealers go into lengthy descriptions on the history of an object you may be interested in? Or the fact that you have to "dig" through a dozen dealers wares to maybe find a treasure worth buying? Or maybe even all of the above. I don't understand, you lost me in your blog. :icon_scratch:

Personally, about the only thing that I don't like about the shows down here are the prices. Everything seems to be rare and seemingly priceless. ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread