Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where would you move? if you wanted? unless you are in your perfect spot?

I have to say my NC is a nice state. climate is super reasonable in winter, 'tad' hot in summer but I like hot, no horrible earthquakes and all that mess in my area along with minor big T-storms that usually don't produce tornadoes and all that mess.

So I have to say staying put is a great option. Mts and forest to the west (easy drive) and beaches and the great big ocean to the east (easy drive)

BUT---when I see those pics of out West, or the beautiful FL keys or the rocky coasts of Maine/Oregon and all that breathtaking beautiful areas to live out there in this country...it makes me want to move LOL

So many beautiful places seem to be calling my name. I kinda want to live right in the middle of something 'spectacular' --you know what I mean. My area is nice, but it doesn't have that absolute wow factor I would love to see each and every day.

So does any place have that draw to you?
Any chance you could get there?

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow--you went straight out of the country :laughing9: COOL

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought about this many times. But, I don't think there is a single "perfect" place to live. In my perfect world I would probably have several homes in several different "WOW factor" places. And I also think that regardless where you/we move that ultimate wow factor eventually wears off to the point that there would be more wow factor somewhere else. Today, if I had to pick one single location to live I couldn't do it. Just far to much WOW out there to only choose one. :dontknow:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thinking of a new place to live is like trying to nail jelly to a tree. :laughing9:

It all boils down to where you will feel most comfortable at the end of the day. I know I'll stay in the NE, I love the climate changes and everything else would just be boring.

But, if I had to relocate it would to to Greece, or their little island Aigina. That little island is so peaceful and chock full of great seafood :thumbsup:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the ancestral home is in the Choctaw Nation of SE Oklahoma, and I feel more at home on the southern plains...but I reckon I prefer to live right here in the middle of the Rockies. No tornadoes, hail storms, and no ICE STORMS! Summers are great (nobody uses air conditioning) but winters can be rough. Costs a lot to live here, Mother Nature can outright kill you, Texans can't drive on snow, very diverse population from all over the world, but if you're tough enough you can make it here. Anymore we only come down out of the mountains about once a year, which is enough for me.

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it wasn't for the economy, lack of jobs, intrusive government, and taxes, I think staying right here in Northern California would be great. The only reason I ever consider moving is when the local government does something else stupid, which I have to say is fairly frequent.

Here the winters last a couple of months, and most of that it is still high 50's low 60's. Summers are nice, does occasionaly get into the 115 degree range. I have Mount Shasta, and Mount Lassen close by, ocean is about 3 hours away, two good lakes, major river, Sacramento is less than 2 hours away, and Oregon is a couple hours away.

Now if we could just change or get rid of the stupidity in government we would be good here.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I guess most of us retired or close to retirement people, envy those who live close to the ocean. Many people have retired and moved close to the beach and Florida has many of these. I have always thought I would like to live like Gilligan, with just a few friends close by to talk with once in a while, but I would probably soon get bored without anything to do, except gathering coconuts and catching fish. Most people at the beach envy the mountains, so I guess we all long for something different. And a hurricane or sunami would change my mind fast. I love the mountains but they can be rough to live in sometimes, due to snow, wind and power outages. I don't like big cities and that would be the worst case scenario in my mind. Anywhere else, as long as I have room to roam, I can cope with. I guess there is no perfect place. rockhound

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Farmerchick,
Are you seriously thinking about finding yourself a new landscape/seascape?

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Twisted One. We are neighbors of sorts. This is where I work and play. Mountains about 30 minutes from home in one direction and the Pacific Ocean a few hours in the other direction.

Attachments

• fishing4.jpg
    fishing4.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 560
  • Lake-Shasta.jpg
    Lake-Shasta.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 579

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a question I've been thinking about a lot lately as I'm nearing retirement. However, "anywhere" isn't an option because I'm married to a woman with completely opposite tastes. If I like it it's a sure bet she doesn't.

But I'll pretend "anywhere" is an option for the sake of this thread.

To me the "where" isn't as important as the atmosphere.

I could be happy most anywhere as long as I had complete freedom and the resources to pursue what brings me the most pleasure and satisfaction today. That is my art work. I'd like nothing more than to paint and construct works of art the rest of my life. I have so many ideas for unique works and will probably never be able to do them.

Yes, I'd love to say goodbye to my present stressful world of dog eat dog and surround myself with artists and those who also love art.

Yes, I guess we could say I have a dream.

The BADGER

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop said:
Farmerchick,
Are you seriously thinking about finding yourself a new landscape/seascape?

you know I am caught right now. My mom and dad are 83, 84 in perfect health. not one pill.
hubbys parents, his dad is in chemo right now and his mom has quite a few health things like diabetes and such but going strong.
No way I am moving from my parents right now. not happening, we get along fab.
and there is the farm land. hubby is 'tied' to the land here. Me, I never have that feeling. Land/house/all that does not hold me to one place. I love to travel.

but for me 'thinking' about retirement for us. I love the beach. Not so keen on snow/mts. but love to visit. We are talking motorhome and roam/wander.

just thinking....I guess I am looking for a WOW factor. Not finding it here right now LOL thinking about that nice place, relaxing, enjoyable, affordable, comfortable, tranquil, and all that. I read a 'retirement' mag. at the drs. office the other day...it started me thinking. they showed so many nice places and it just got me wanting a change.

than I wondered if anyone else was looking for that nice change in their lives?

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
My wife and I have considered the motorhome option . Once I can't farm and the kids and grandkids can take over , just tramp around from here to Chassahowitzka ,FL to the southwest desert country to
the northern high country following the good weather .
This country is so grand that we can't pick any single place we want to be except home if we have to stay in a single spot .

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I also have considered the motor home RV option. I like to travel and see new things and places.I also have considered Costa Rica, the country most like the US. Stable government, with many of the same rights we have. Weather is 65-80 degrees year around. It is a high plateau, but not really all that far from the ocean. Being mostly wilderness, except for the few towns and cities, property is not all that high, and other prices are far less than here in the US. I could grow a garden year around, and grow all of the tropical fruit trees, banana, pineapple, lime, lemon, grapefruit, orange, Fig, Pomegranite, Olive, and also guave, and all tropical uts except Brazil nuts. after clearing the land, landscaping it, and building a house or hut, it could be set up like a tropical paradise. After one year residence, your rights are initiated. The only language is Spanish, but with some help, could learn it fairly easily. I believe it would be the most like the garden of Eden if properly set up and maintained. And from what I've heard, snakes are not all that bad, plus gold mining is allowed and done there. I know a few who have traveled there and one who has mined, they are anxious to go back, and maybe live there this time. I don't know about job opportunities, so unless retired, maybe a hard go, but so is it in places here in the US. Cost of living is far less, so any money already in hand would go a long ways. Maybe just another dream. Good luck. rockhound

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been seriously researching full timing rv retirement. I have an rv forum that is fab and they give tons of info.

we camp now but are held down by jobs and school and family and all.

I got that hankering for a huge change. I feel it coming and it might be well before retirement...hmm...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread