The Effects of $5 a Gallon Gas?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:(

Attachments

• 308 No Gas.JPG
    308 No Gas.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 742

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I drove 850 miles last year for construction supplies and beer . 4/5 trips to town in 2 weeks . Construction has tapered to finish work with supplies on hand . Will make one trip a week for beer to compensate for the price increase and not infringe on my beer budget .
My wife travels 60 miles a week to go to work and gets needed groceries along the way . We just traded her full size leisure van today for a midsize 4wd suv with double the gas mileage . 230k on the van , it was time for it to leave anyhow .

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a big truck (diesel, about 14 mpg)
I have a big SUV (gas, about 22 mpg)

I would drive a bit less. Simple as that.
Since diesel will be higher probably than gas, I would have hubby take my SUV to work, I get the truck but only drive when necessary in one big trip to get all needed and home. I would plan any recreational driving to planned events etc.

I would mow a bit less. (I mow ALOT with the farm :laughing7:)

I probably wouldn't bush hog certain areas.

Don't know if I would make hay or not off the acres. price of hay would jump very high for people. Probably just down enough hay for my own farm.

I would still take my vacations and save money everywhere else I could in my life. Nothing will stop me from my camping trips...although instead of 3 separate weeks at the beach, I would probably go once and STAY longer :)

what gets me is the cost of all the other products. high gas means high everything else. So it isn't gas that would just nail ya, it is all the high prices. I would definitely become more reliant on farm grown foods (I am there right now but still do buy alot in stores). Just buy less and eat more of the same on the farm.

things would change a bit but I wouldn't go down....it would hurt, but it isn't going to take me out of the game!

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
The cost of fuel to keep the farm operational is going to be an issue for us as well . The projected increase in beef prices because of the major drouth induced cow/calf pair kill off in the west last summer may help offset that .

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Most small farmers will just give up. There is no way they could buy fertilizer and use their tractors and trucks. Food prices will soar to unprecdented levels. Only the larger farm operations will exist, and they will charge whatever they want for food. Also the price for trucking that food to supermarkets will double, adding to already high food prices. Other products will suffer the same fate, as almost all products arrive by trucks or train. As for me, I can make fewer trips, and resupply what I need with one trip. I can even go every two weeks instead of once per week. I could even go once a month on most food, except milk and bread. I could even freeze extra bread to use later. I could also buy powdered milk and eggs if I so choose. I think produce would be the worst, with it having to be trucked in fast to keep from spoiling. It could really skyrocket in price. I grow most of my own anyway, so no need to sweat that. I will probably buy a scooter or motorcycle to joyride on. Good Luck. rockhound

C

Cappy Z.

Diggin the Past.... :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

I'm reading a book, I just got in the mail today...it says in 2020 66% of all business's will be OFF THE BOOKS.

Have a great life!!!!!

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
truckinbutch said:
The cost of fuel to keep the farm operational is going to be an issue for us as well . The projected increase in beef prices because of the major drouth induced cow/calf pair kill off in the west last summer may help offset that .

yea I heard. they say prices are going to go thru the roof very soon. I raise my own beef thank goodness.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the people who have ANY independence from the total grid have a way better shot of surviving.

anyone with no way to even help themselves are going to suffer for sure.

my small personal garden this year is increasing in size. I am putting up tons of harvest in the pantry this year. oh yea

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own an S corp, so anything business related will be a write off :wink: :wink:. However, I will start using my personal car for certain business related activities whenever possible, to save on out of pocket money. Then i'll be able to claim it too. Creative tax deducting, that's what's coming.

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Just remove the gas pedal, shift the brake over, install foot pedals and take turns pedaling. :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FarmerChick said:
time for Fred Flinstone cars!

Ever tried pulling that camper up a steep grade with Fred's rig? :laughing9: On the other hand, going back down might be a real blast. Just don't wear spike heels. :laughing9:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The sad reality Is That We Might Have to Move To another Location!!! Closer to Work!!! Currently paying 515.00 A Month!!!

Move will Cost More than We can Afford To A place Closer to work at 650.00 to 700.00 am Month!!!! The cost of everything Is Going Up And Gas Is Going to Push Many people Over the Edge!!! Its Time For a Pay raise again!!! Chug My last was last april from 13.00 to 14.00 It needs to be 18.50 to 19.00+ Then you have to Fugure in the cost of Fuel and Everything Is Going to Keep Going Up So We are S****D Either way We Go !!! Very tired and Very very Tired of It All Chug

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop said:
FarmerChick said:
time for Fred Flinstone cars!

Ever tried pulling that camper up a steep grade with Fred's rig? :laughing9: On the other hand, going back down might be a real blast. Just don't wear spike heels. :laughing9:

:laughing9: sounds like a bad situation for sure!

hubby can push!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions