Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As many of you are aware my old computer finally crashed from old age and I had to buy a new Dell system. With my softwqre apparently a bit of Spyware was hiding , just waiting to get into my files. It is called PC Cleaner and looks all legit at first. It apparently will attache itself to your new computer software download kit. It comes on like most legit anti-spyware software and instructs you to download it for free and get a trial run before purchasing it. Like most of us would, I obediently downloaded it and should have known better. Right off the bat it starts hiding your legitimate anti-spyware and anti-virus programs under so many layers it becomes almost impossible to find them. It also tries to get you to remove your legit anti-spyware/anti-virus software by giving instructions of how to disable it "temporarily", while it is actually running a download program to get it out of your system permanently and leave you unprotected from malicious spyware. It never got that far on my computer as far as I know but it will then begin to read your files and secure your personal information. There is even a phone number you can call and the voice at the other end of the line will instruct you to download your legitimate anti-spyware programs and just ignore PC Cleaner. I finally figured out it was the actual spy-ware itself that was causing my problems and had my son come over to remove it from my PC. (He is an IT manager). He showed me what it was doing and explained how it worked. He also pointed out that there was only an upload feature on PC Cleaner and no way given to download it and purge it from the system. So, he had to go to a 3rd anti-spyware program to be able to download it. The process took several minutes with many trials and errors and without extensive IT background experience the average person would not be able to remove it. But anyway I am clean now and as far as I know I did not infect anyone else. So, if you find yourself dealing with "PC Cleaner", get someone to help you get rid of it or you are open to the theft of all your personal information. Monty

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get "Microsoft Security Essentials" Download from Microsoft Site - FREE
Shows up as a green icon on the toolbar line.
Slows communication down a little but appears to be catching most problem situations.

Gunny71

Jan 14, 2009
Texas by Gawd
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to work in IT and malware line thus is becoming more and more common. In the shop I worked at we used three programs to clean this up.
Google malwarebytes, spy it search and destroy and hitman pro. These free programs can clear most infections, run them all. For antivirus I recommend avg free.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't ever download a program with out first going to google and searching for "reviews" and "User reviews" for that program or article.... almost any problem you find, someone else has found and posted it.... google is our best friend.....

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was lucky in that I had some inside help from my son who killed it with a third outside software program he was able to run. So I deleted the false security program and it is no longer with me, thank goodness. If you are not a computer guru of sorts you will have problems and need help. Monty

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a program I use called hitman pro that is real good on removing these spyware/virus type programs...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread