Computer Problems - Can someone help me?

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me explain...blue screen yesterday afternoon. I shut down & when it came back up there was 2 new icons on my desk top (My Network Places & My Computer). 1 item missing was the Recycle Bin. Every time I check email, a pop up state "Window Installer" "The feature your are trying to use is on a CD-Rom or other removable disk that is not available." Insert the MS Small Business Edition 2003 disk and click OK." All Programs is only showing 11 items...many are missing. The All Program to Accessories to System Tools is yuck. Systems Restore is not there, Only showing IE (No Add ons). I have the MS Office Small Business CD (it's never been opened). I have a Dell & have Windows XP.

FF is my primary browser for TNet, FB & 1 other forum. Any research, or just to google I have on IE.

Thanks!

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
First thing to do is run a FULL VIRUS SCAN WHILE IN SAFE MODE.

Next, download (if you haven't already) Malwarebytes scanner and the Superantispyware scanner and install them.

Run scans with both, regardless of order, also in SAFE MODE.

OPTIONAL, but really encouraged:

Get rid of as much Dell software as you possibly can without crashing your PC. It is generally well written, but not all of it is safe. Smee cleans more Dell machines than ALL others combined in his shop, and they are less than 1/3 of the total market. I also hear that Dell is known to use their software to track users under the guise of "protecting" them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread