Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, this is something else for sure. And you will have to admit that your computer is probably your best friend for metal detecting right after your detector itself. But anyway, my Compaq copier gave up the ghost a few weeks ago and I have felt like I was operating on one lelg. So, the local Wal-Mart was having a sale on printers last week and I went to take a look. I was amazed at the current prices compared to when I first got into this computer game. My first cost me well over $200.00 when new and wouild copy only. Well, I fouind a Kodakk ESP Office for $89.00! All I know about hooking up software or how it works could be printed on the head of a pin. So, I carry it home and immediatly find out it will copy, fax, print, amd I'm not sure but it might mow the grass? It is one of those all in one copiers that will do more than anything I might wish to be done. But now, how to "hook it up" as they say around here. I got out a little how to manukal that came with it and in 5 minutes it was .....well, it shut down all my TV sets and phone lines because they are all bundled into one account! Having slept on it over night , I discovered that I was making it way harder than it really was. It will work by cable or by Wifi but not both at one time! So I went plain old cable and it works like a charm! It took a couiple of hours to hook up the Compaq copier, but the Kodak was done in 5 minutes! It does beautiful prints of pictures and is every bit as reliable as the Compaq I was using and if a simpleton like me can get it to work, it's pretty darn good! Oh, I also got a 100% replacement extended warranty of one year for sixbucks. But then someone told me that Kodak was going out of business, and has filed bankruptcy. I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it comes out? So far. so good! Monty

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Monty, you have my condolences on being duped into buying a Kodak ESP printer.

If you can, for your sanity, please return it ASAP and get ANYTHING ELSE. (I would advise checking out Newegg.com they have some great deals on printers and everything else.

It may be working at the moment, but should you EVER have to deal with their tech support, you are in for some of the most ignorant behavior known to man. Will make the healthcare bill look sane.

Mine came with a defective print head. Their idea of "troubleshooting" was 10 rounds of "Clean Printhead" which used up all my ink. The tech said to add new cartridges so we could try again. After 2 times, you have already established that the print head is defective. So, they sent me a printhead for another printer. Called back, this time they sent the right print head, but it was remanufactured and defective as well.

By the time it was over, they had sent me 2 more printers, one refurb, one new. They also sent a half dozen print heads for as many different printers, none of them the one I have.

Text prints fine, photos suck. Unless you use their special brand of paper all photos come out looking like you rubbed them with sand.

The company refused to return my money, so you will need to go through the retail store to get your money back. Wal Mart will only exchange this item, as they have learned that Kodak will not refund money.

That is why Kodak is now OUT of the printer business. You got stuck with "remaining stock" . . . and you probably should get rid of it while you can.

I use mine as a door block to keep the cat out of the laundry room. That's about all its good for.

BTW, you cannot print a black and white image or text without using color ink even though it does have a black cartridge. It uses the color cartridges regardless of the settings.

Last edited:

MADJOKER

Jun 25, 2011
Missouri City, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
I happen to own a printer cartridge refilling business on the side and I always tell home users to buy Brother ink jet printers. They are about the same price as that Kodak unit and are Multi function. Most have networking built in as well. Ink is cheap and you get way more ink for your money then the consumer HP and Kodak brands. You can find a nice selection at office depot or staples even office Max as I am not sure which stores you have in your area.

Everyone that has taken my recommendation is very happy!

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I had a Kodak printer up until a couple of years ago. I worked fine for about a year or so, then all at once quit working. It was a cheap printer on sale so I just went and bought another printer. This time I bought a Canon, and am well pleased with its capabilities and performance. It is a better built, quality unit and has stood up to our printing practices for over two years and is still going strong. As they say, you get what you pay for. Good luck. rockhound

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I happen to own a printer cartridge refilling business on the side and I always tell home users to buy Brother ink jet printers. They are about the same price as that Kodak unit and are Multi function. Most have networking built in as well. Ink is cheap and you get way more ink for your money then the consumer HP and Kodak brands. You can find a nice selection at office depot or staples even office Max as I am not sure which stores you have in your area.

Everyone that has taken my recommendation is very happy!

Brother rocks! They also make some great Laser printers, which is what I replaced the Kodak with.

Newegg.com has great deals, free shipping on many models, even closeouts. You can see what other owners of that printer have to say (They even let me comment on my Kodak although I bought it at Wal-mart).

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only gave $89.00* for it and that's pocket change now days. I reread the installation instructions and now it works fine. It is one of their better models with multifunctioning and can go wireless if necessary. It was rated very high on one of the computer comparisons in a computer mag I bought. My last printer was supposed to be one of the best and it lasted just over a year. It also cost a fortune to run because of all the expense of the ink cartridges that didn't last very long. The guy who sold me my Kkodak said he had the same printer and it was going on 3 years and was wonderfukl! So, who do you believe? I think they all have a drop dead date worked into the system somehow or they wouldn't be so easy to replace. Took mine for repairs and it went in the trash pile. Said it would be cheaper to buy a new one than try to repair the one I had. Monty

S

stefen

And sometimes it far cheaper to buy a new printer than to replace the cartridge...:BangHead:

MADJOKER

Jun 25, 2011
Missouri City, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
There is no money made on selling the printer. Almost every if not ever printer is sold at a loss just as are the video game consoles. Printer companies make money on the ink, studies have been done that show at the current prices of printer ink it would cost you over 600K per 55 gallon drum of ink at the retail prices paid for it. I would never listen to a sales guy as if Kodak made the same printer 3 years ago they apparently are not moving the technology forward. No consumer inkjet printer is worth repairing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread