Should We Forgive James Holmes?

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I think forgiveness is an individual decision based on how his actions affect you personally. I can't even imagine how those people in the theater felt that night. I know it says in the bible to forgive your enemies but I'll bet the parents of the 6 year old child that died are having a pretty difficult time wanting anything but for the rest of his life to be torture. All of the parents that lost a child that night for that matter. It didn't affect me personally and I doubt that those that it did affect couldn't care less what I think.

Since he didn't commit suicide by cop and gave up without a fight I hope they can at least learn something from him that will prevent someone else from doing this. That's what scares me...how many more like him are out there? Next time it could be one of my kids in the line of fire. As for whether he is insane or not I have no clue but there is definitely something wrong with him. I really don't buy the "video games made him do it" theory, if that were true millions of people would be homicidal maniacs. If a movie or video game caused him to do what he did there was something wrong with his brain to begin with. Now he claims he has amnesia and has been asking guards Why he is there.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should he be forgiven? No.

In light of my previous comment regarding forgiveness, I feel compelled to further explain my position.

When I said not to forgive him, I meant in a jurisprudence sense. It is impossible to legally forgive one who has perpetrated such an heinous act. The laws of man must surely prevail and appropriate justice be meted out.

From a spiritual perspective, I feel that forgiveness is possible if the perpetrator atones for his actions and is forgiven by victims and society as Jesus instructs.

Whether YOU forgive Mr. Holmes or not is dependant upon your religious views.

My Best,
Scott

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whether YOU forgive Mr. Holmes or not is dependant upon your religious views.

My Best,
Scott

I have to disagree on this.

I Don't want to turn this into religon for obvious reasons,
however, in my eyes there appears to be very little true forgiveness in most religous people.

Me not being religous feel I have much, Much more forgiveness in me, then most.
not sure why, but I know me & how I've been. & "I'm Sorry" works on me maybe to a Fault

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is our duty to forgive all men, as God requires of us. Whether God forgives is not my affair, nor do I feel the need to speculate on it.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to disagree on this.

I Don't want to turn this into religon for obvious reasons,
however, in my eyes there appears to be very little true forgiveness in most religous people.

Me not being religous feel I have much, Much more forgiveness in me, then most.
not sure why, but I know me & how I've been. & "I'm Sorry" works on me maybe to a Fault

Jeff,
I respect your views and have no intention of turning this thread into a religious discussion. I merely wished to express clarification of MY views.

It is hard to forgive those who have wronged us in ANY way and I feel that it is a strength of character to do so.

One of the hardest things for anyone to say is either, "I'm sorry," "I was wrong," or "I forgive you."

My Best Wishes,
Scott

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
onfire, Just Curious.
Do you believe a totally "sane" person would do this ?

Become a Batman fan to the point of Emulating the Joker.
set Traps all over his house
& Go to a theater full of people & Open fire.

Personally if he is Sane I Hope the rest of us in this world Aren't.

Personally I say he's Loonier then a fruitcake,
or at least was to the point he woke up & thought
"What the &*^% Have I Done ? " if he has.
he may still be 3 sheets to the wind on what & why he's in jail.

Insanity isn't a 100% not Guilty.

Nobody frees a Rabid Or wild animal into the public

Looney maybe, crazy, insane (I don't think so) Like I said to smart for that, All it took was losing his job or whatever it was. I put him in the category of the fort Hood shotter 911 bombers etc.They all had a agenda, all were not crazy just martyrs in a sick way. pure name recognition Would a insane person know there was no alarm on the emergency exit? or how to booby trap the door with a trip wire across the opening and still get out? knowing how to purchase 15 g's of protection equipment? All I'm saying who cares insane, looney, sane, just send him to be judged.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I ever suggested an Insanity plea should be a get out of jail free card,
for anyone who killed. Even temporary insanity can come back.

But still think he is / was Insane when he planned & Committed these crimes.

I Don't feel killing a human for any reason is OK
including Killing Killers.

& I Must admit I feel as sorry for him as I do his Victims
& the mentality of anyone who could kill him in return

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I ever suggested an Insanity plea should be a get out of jail free card,
for anyone who killed. Even temporary insanity can come back.

But still think he is / was Insane when he planned & Committed these crimes.

I Don't feel killing a human for any reason is OK
including Killing Killers.

& I Must admit I feel as sorry for him as I do his Victims
& the mentality of anyone who could kill him in return

How do you feel about self defense? How about our military who kill "enemy?"
Just wonderin'....

Best,
Scott

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I'll betcha he will have a mailbag full of marriage proposals when he hits the block.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll betcha he will have a mailbag full of marriage proposals when he hits the block.

Cell block...
Yep. Bubba bought him with a pack of smokes....
(That was wrong, right?)

Scott

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you feel about self defense? How about our military who kill "enemy?"
Just wonderin'....

Best,
Scott

:tongue3: are you sure you want to know ?
I'm not so sure I should say.

If someone were to invade your space or Mine, I do feel we have a right to self defense.
if i killed someone in self defense, or protection of a loved one, I'd hope for forgiveness from my peers,
but would have a next to impossible time forgiving myself.

military who kill "enemy" : here is where I get nervous.

In my Book the enemy is the person who is not on their own Property at the time of the Conflict.

I Still feel sorry for the mentality of anyone who can go to someone else's property,
act holier then though & Kill someone they don't know, then claim self defense.

Apologies to anyone who takes offense, just stating my feelings,
not pushing my belief system on anyone.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:tongue3: are you sure you want to know ?
I'm not so sure I should say.

If someone were to invade your space or Mine, I do feel we have a right to self defense.
if i killed someone in self defense, or protection of a loved one, I'd hope for forgiveness from my peers,
but would have a next to impossible time forgiving myself.

military who kill "enemy" : here is where I get nervous.

In my Book the enemy is the person who is not on their own Property at the time of the Conflict.

I Still feel sorry for the mentality of anyone who can go to someone else's property,
act holier then though & Kill someone they don't know, then claim self defense.

Apologies to anyone who takes offense, just stating my feelings,
not pushing my belief system on anyone.

Jeff,
I agree that to take another human life is traumatic....however, certain conditions must be considered. Situations including protecting yourself and loved ones is justified. Anyone who glorifies taking a life is an idiot. A tenet of life is to appreciate life and do everything possible to protect life.

As a veteran of our country's military, I swore an oath to protect the life and Liberty of my fellow Americans and had no problems with taking lives to fulfil my promise.

As far as self defense, I will protect my life and yours from anyone who has ideas of depriving me, you or your family from life.

'nuff said. I don't really want to get too deep into this line of response. I hope that you understand....

Best,
Scott

Last edited:

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Squeeze a trigger."

The actions of a police swat member?
A military sniper?
A delusional nut?

Weapons kill.
People will kill if that is their desire. They will use sticks and stones. How was Abel killed?

Who has these weapons? Why? How?

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution provides the right to "Bear Arms..."

Our Fathers wrote into the constitution the right to bear arms.
TO PROTECT this young nation against foreign invaders. In fact, I think that it was REQUIRED for citizens to own weapons!

Our Dear founding Fathers never dreamed that these (modern) arms would be used against our fellow citizens. Nor did they dream of such firepower as automatic capabilities or the results of nuts.

I believe in the Second amnendment and will fight for it's defense, however, Who needs a 100 round magazine or auto weapons to deer hunt?

Recently, the media and folks desirous of American decline have advocated stringent gun control.....
Just 'tween you and me, We need this type of fire power to protect ourselves from (Political comment removed) take over!

Viva Second Amendment!

Gun Control= hitting what you aim at!

And...that's all I have to say about "Gun Contol."

An American Patriot,
Scott

Last edited:

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Gun control has been a big issue for a long time. Unfortunately whenever something like this happens some of the more staunch anti-gun types go crazy. If you stop and think about it is better that he had guns instead of building a bomb (which he was obviously capable of) and killing everyone on the block. They have enough laws already but there is always going to be criminals and loonies that will get their hands on them. This guy just happened to get them before he was on any kind of list preventing him from buying them. Deer hunting is almost a religion around here but I know several guys that can't go anymore because of their record and compared to Holmes they are choir boys.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Umm...
I have no desire to turn this into a political discourse, so, y'all carry on...

Best,
Scott

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Back to the original question (which had nothing to do with politics etc.)

"We" can't forgive.
Only those he has wronged can forgive him.

Also, forgiving is not about negating the need for punishment, it is merely about forgiving.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
forgiving is about coming to terms with his actions....it does not ever mean you accept what he has done and he should be punished accordingly.

I think sometimes it takes time to come to terms with others actions, then forgiveness can come into play. No one can forgive right away without truly thinking thru the actions of the issue/drama/killings. Time is needed to process the action.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't. He is obviously sane. He was an A+ student all through school. But on a $3000.00 a month income only god knows how he got the weapons.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
As for the insanity claim, all of us are at times insane. One can be a genius one moment and insane the next. There has been much discussion over the decades about what exactly is so-called sanity? If everyone were insane, then insanity would be normal, and thus, sane.

Not being normal is exactly what everyone seeking fame zealously pursues. Come visit my favorite place MoMA (modern art museum) and you'll see paintings worth millions that were done by persons far from normal.

The real question here is not a question of sanity or insanity. That argument has always been a farce. It's really a question of justice. What should we expect when we do that which destroys another person's life simply because we felt like it? If we take someone's life via premeditated murder shouldn't we expect to receive the same back at us? This is what is known as justice.

The lack of real justice in America is partly to blame for our continual fall. Almost everyone today admits America is going down, but for some strange reason almost no one considers the reasons why.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread