Watch where you step

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't kill any snakes, but I sure don't want any encounters with any either. I see one then have nightmare's about them and freak out in my sleep. I moan & groan something awful thinking I'm getting attacked, until my husband has to wake me up. The next day he laughs about it. Since my hubby is in Wyoming and the last nightmare I had, I must have been screaming so loud in my sleep that I must have scared our beagle and she started barking loud and that woke me up. Then I realized what was taking place. Yikes

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is hilarious, I can not believe this person actually stamps her name to this.

"But rattlesnake roundups involve the wholesale capture, torture, and killing of thousands of animals in the name of sport and entertainment. And quite honestly, I thought we were past that kind of cruelty today."

I have yet to even hear of a rattlesnake round up like this. I have been to many but hey like the author said. She never heard of one before, so she based all her knowledge and life experience on a couple link, links that are most likely blogs of more crap.

That was pretty funny, especially here on a treasure hunters website, where habitat displacement is widely promoted for no other reason than the "Next Find".

Good luck with your puppy & kitty round up; keep us all posted on how that works out for you, especially if you find a puppy or kitty that is a venomous predator that could provide the world with a single antibody. Just ensure you comply with standards from Pharmacopoeia & World Health Organization.
Sweetwater, Texas roundup:
Rattlesnake Roundup Photos -- National Geographic
Mangum, Oklahoma:
Okla. rattlesnake roundup pitches 'family-friendly' fun - USATODAY.com
Otero County, New Mexico:
What is a Rattlesnake Roundup - Alamogordo, New Mexico
Sharon Spring, Kansas
Rattlesnake Roundup | Thad Allender

Just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. As the video I posted shows, these animals will go out of their way to AVOID you, not bite you. And to flippantly say that we, as treasure hunters, would happily destroy habitat for "the next find" is irresponsible and as likely to destroy our hobby as not filling holes in the park. There are many cases of species being wiped out, or nearly so just for economic exploitation. I would hate to think that we as a conscientious community here would advocate something like that.

I've had encounters with 3 rattlesnakes and 1 copperhead while metal detecting this summer so far - killed all of them - chopped their heads off just behind the ears

I'm sure they were wrapped up around a treasure chest and had to be dispatched. Hate to have to walk around them and mess up your grid sweep.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's really an optical allusion, the long pole puts the snake closer to the lens than the man is, that makes the snake look bigger than it really is.......Jmho.....................................HH

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I won't kill any snakes, but I sure don't want any encounters with any either. I see one then have nightmare's about them and freak out in my sleep. I moan & groan something awful thinking I'm getting attacked, until my husband has to wake me up. The next day he laughs about it. Since my hubby is in Wyoming and the last nightmare I had, I must have been screaming so loud in my sleep that I must have scared our beagle and she started barking loud and that woke me up. Then I realized what was taking place. Yikes

Ma'am, Now that your awake from your dream state, STAY AWAKE!!

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm glad I live in Northern Michigan where we have no poisonous snakes.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
And here I thought this thread was about stepping in a pile of dog crap! I like catching snakes,caught a few BAD ones in my day, they don't scare me,but,I damn well respect them! God Bless Chris

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...for the snake lover above....they are reptiles....not animals(you would think somebody that cares so much for something would know that?)and they are far from endangered,and not all of them "just want to get away",some like the Prairie,and the Timber,will come after you,and with us using head phones....well....I kill every one that doesnt just try to get away.I kill on average 8 a year in my yard,and I have young kids

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I use to hunt but after reflecting on it I knew I was doing it to be close to my dad. I despise killing things now. How someone could get enjoyment out of killing things is beyond me. Takes a very little man to do that just for the enjoyment.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
...for the snake lover above....they are reptiles....not animals(you would think somebody that cares so much for something would know that?)and they are far from endangered,and not all of them "just want to get away",some like the Prairie,and the Timber,will come after you,and with us using head phones....well....I kill every one that doesnt just try to get away.I kill on average 8 a year in my yard,and I have young kids
That was when I lived in the Smokys,6 years and I LOVED it!!! BEST place I EVER lived,caught them snakes for pets,until I found out there was a BIG ASS fine for doin so,hee,let em go.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweetwater, Texas roundup:
Rattlesnake Roundup Photos -- National Geographic
Mangum, Oklahoma:
Okla. rattlesnake roundup pitches 'family-friendly' fun - USATODAY.com
Otero County, New Mexico:
What is a Rattlesnake Roundup - Alamogordo, New Mexico
Sharon Spring, Kansas
Rattlesnake Roundup | Thad Allender

Just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. As the video I posted shows, these animals will go out of their way to AVOID you, not bite you. And to flippantly say that we, as treasure hunters, would happily destroy habitat for "the next find" is irresponsible and as likely to destroy our hobby as not filling holes in the park. There are many cases of species being wiped out, or nearly so just for economic exploitation. I would hate to think that we as a conscientious community here would advocate something like that.

I'm sure they were wrapped up around a treasure chest and had to be dispatched. Hate to have to walk around them and mess up your grid sweep.

Correct; just because I have not heard of it does not mean it does not exist. However I do at least speak from experience and not regurgitating blogs or extreme edited Non-scientific documentaries.

Have experience first hand, blogs, youtube and zoos do not count.

As for the destruction of habitats whilst hunting. Something as simple as observation without contact causes displacement. Such things are concealed in books.

Now wind your neck in.

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Seriously? They are reptiles not animals? Not sure where you got your degree in zoology, but mine was from Michigan State University and all the way back to Linnaeus they were still animals. Though he was small minded and thought of them as lesser creatures. I'm absolutely flabbergasted by that response... But to break it down Barney style for ya:
Animals are anything from the Kingdom Animalia, characterized as being multicellular eukaryotes. That would be both Reptiles and Mammals along with most other mobile organisms you are likely to run into. What in your opinion is an "animal"? Only mammals?

As far as "far from endangered" the roundups themselves have noticed a decline in populations of these snakes. The Eastern Diamondback has been in steady decline, probably since the settling of North America by Europeans, but it has been exacerbated by Roundups.
Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake Closer to Endangered Species Act Protection

Here is a good white paper on the effects of these roundups on wild populations and the roundups themselves.
http://onemoregeneration.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/2009_MEANS_Roundup_Effects_paper-2.pdf

Timber Rattlesnakes are endangered in 6 states and threatened in 5 more, including Texas. The reduction in Eastern Diamondbacks has been correlated with an increase in the rabbit population.

"One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds. Much of the damage inflicted on land is quite invisible to laymen. An ecologist must either harden his shell and make believe that the consequences of science are none of his business, or he must be the doctor who sees the marks of death in a community that believes itself well and does not want to be told otherwise.”
― Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac

Last edited:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the last nightmare I had, I must have been screaming so loud in my sleep that I must have scared our beagle and she started barking loud and that woke me up. Then I realized what was taking place. Yikes

I dunno, your beagle may have just picked up on your distress. Some dogs are able to pick up on their owners' thoughts.

Still, I agree, yikes!!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously? They are reptiles not animals? Not sure where you got your degree in zoology, but mine was from Michigan State University and all the way back to Linnaeus they were still animals. Though he was small minded and thought of them as lesser creatures. I'm absolutely flabbergasted by that response... But to break it down Barney style for ya:
Animals are anything from the Kingdom Animalia, characterized as being multicellular eukaryotes. That would be both Reptiles and Mammals along with most other mobile organisms you are likely to run into. What in your opinion is an "animal"? Only mammals?

As far as "far from endangered" the roundups themselves have noticed a decline in populations of these snakes. The Eastern Diamondback has been in steady decline, probably since the settling of North America by Europeans, but it has been exacerbated by Roundups.
Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake Closer to Endangered Species Act Protection

Here is a good white paper on the effects of these roundups on wild populations and the roundups themselves.
http://onemoregeneration.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/2009_MEANS_Roundup_Effects_paper-2.pdf

Timber Rattlesnakes are endangered in 6 states and threatened in 5 more, including Texas. The reduction in Eastern Diamondbacks has been correlated with an increase in the rabbit population.

"One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds. Much of the damage inflicted on land is quite invisible to laymen. An ecologist must either harden his shell and make believe that the consequences of science are none of his business, or he must be the doctor who sees the marks of death in a community that believes itself well and does not want to be told otherwise.”
― Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac
I happen to have a degree in Biology,wildlife Management,and Forestry, as well,and have worked professionally with wildlife for over 20 years.A reptile is a Reptile......is a fish ananimal?I will continue to kill rattlesnakes and you continue to get your info from dope smoking Libs

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YES A FISH IS AN ANIMAL!!! Animalia is the kingdom to which all vertebrate life belongs to along with many things without vertebrae, therefore anything with a vertebrae is ALSO an animal. A reptile is a member of Class Reptilia, as we are part of Class Mammalia. A fish is an animal, a housefly is an animal, a tapeworm is an animal. I think you should dust off your 20 yr old biology book and look up some phylogeny as you are apparently incredibly rusty.

If you truly purport to be a wildlife professional then you should be aware of the web of life and how all things are interconnected. Removing any one part of the web because you find it distasteful throws off the whole balance of nature. And we are less for its' removal.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES A FISH IS AN ANIMAL!!! Animalia is the kingdom to which all vertebrate life belongs to along with many things without vertebrae, therefore anything with a vertebrae is ALSO an animal. A reptile is a member of Class Reptilia, as we are part of Class Mammalia. A fish is an animal, a housefly is an animal, a tapeworm is an animal. I think you should dust off your 20 yr old biology book and look up some phylogeny as you are apparently incredibly rusty.

If you truly purport to be a wildlife professional then you should be aware of the web of life and how all things are interconnected. Removing any one part of the web because you find it distasteful throws off the whole balance of nature. And we are less for its' removal.
Trust me,I am not for the extinction of any species of anything......that is what my career revolves around!!!The preservation of endangered species BY KILLING NON NATIVE SPECIES which prey on them,killing is part of nature and a valuable tool in wildlife management.Isimply stated that I do,and will kill a rattlesnake that exhibits agressive behavior,or any that are in my yard.Do I get "joy",from it?Of course not!I do hunt as well and cant think of anytime I ever ever felt "joy",for taking a life,nor do any responsible hunters.I also depend heavily on the table fare of which wild game provides my family

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh,yea,and "touche",you are right about animilia.(Professor Schmit)would roll over in his grave......I apologize

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Extinction is a natural phenomenon too. Many times more species became extinct before man came on the scene than after. If all the venomous snakes were gone.....I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. The non-venomous ones will just have to take up the slack on keeping the rodent population down.....or the owls will.

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Extinction is a natural phenomenon, but it can also happen artificially. Natural extinction occurs as other species evolve to out compete them, or the climate changes faster than an animal can adapt to it. For example, the extinction of Dodo birds over the course of 100 years was not natural. This was a species that had evolved to function very well in their island environment but they were naive towards humans which made them easy prey. 100 years after being "discovered" by humans they were gone.

In the 1800's Passenger Pigeons and American Bison were so numerous that you couldn't DREAM of counting their population. It only took a span of about 40 or 50 years of unrestrained or unregulated hunting to completely wipe out the pigeons, and if not for the Bronx Zoo, the Bison would have gone the same way. That's the reason that we have hunting seasons in North America. Biologists, far smarter than you or I, study the biology, life history, reproductive cycles, age class and population size of a species and determine "well, we can give out 20,000 White Tail Deer permits for Michigan this year" (made up number) "this will keep the deer herd at a reasonable size without causing a population crash".

However, for rattlesnakes and other "non-game species" there are no "take" laws. Biologists have studied their life history traits and found that many reptiles cannot support a hunting season, much less constant slaughter. Not many species can. That's why you aren't allowed to go out and shoot a deer once a week, the population would quickly crash. That's also why we banned the commercial harvest of wildgame. It goes back to Teddy Roosevelt and sportsmen of the late 19th century that we manage wildlife so that future generations can enjoy them, as they are a resource that belongs to all North Americans.

Good reading on the North American Wildlife Conservation Model:
North American Wildlife Conservation Model

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread