Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Why do some Cherokee avoid the U.S. $20.00 bill? Many would rather take smaller bills to avoid this piece of U.S. Currency.

No polyticks, only cold hard historical facts cause this behavior. So why? Take a look. If you aren't sure, ask me and I'll add the history to go with it.

20DollarBillAndrewJackson.jpg

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was the cherokees vs. jackson. trail of tears. all that land stolen.

they say he should not be honored in any way for what he did to the native people.

I think Ross and Ridge were huge influences in this whole history regarding relocation/death camps etc.

It is a very interesting read the history behind the native indians and how the govt. moved them out of their expansion.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well, you got almost 1/3 of the story right. Probably learned most of the "Trail of Tears" info from a friend who used to be on this forum. Not only the Cherokee walked the "Trail of Tears", in fact, the name didn't come from a Cherokee but from a Choctaw.

Junaluska. Wiki him. See if that helps.

Tomorrow evening I will relate much of the original story (some must be left out for it is politicial) and explain why.

I will, however, give a clue in my grandfather's words (a member of the Houmas Nation and a bounty hunter in Oklahoma and Texas in the 1920's and 30's known as "Frenchy"):

"A man is only as good as his word. If his word isn't worth a damn, then neither is he."

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well, I decided I would go ahead and write this tonite since I didn't have any other work pressing. Besides, who knows what tomorrow holds?

Let me introduce you to an American Hero. Chief Junaluska of the Cherokee Nation. A brave man, a warrior, a patriot.

Chief Junaluska was born in the around 1776 (exact date unknown) in what is now Murphy, North Carolina. He was leader of the Snowbird Clan.

He became famous among his own people during the War of 1812 when the Creek Indians (at that time enemy of the Cherokee) sided with the British against the United States.

Then came the Creek War after the massacre at Fort Mims in Alabama.

Near the end of 1813, Jackson's forces had been severely reduced by mutiny and expiration of terms among the enlisted that Andrew Jackson had to rely on the Cherokee to keep his armies at acceptable levels of strength. He used them to hold Fort Armstrong and to protect his provision depot.

Jackson relegated the Cherokee to support positions in the rear. So, when the Creek attacked Jackson in January of 1814 he had too few troops to stand against them and retreated to Fort Strother.

Finally, in March of 1814, Jackson engaged the Creek in the battle of Horshoe Bend. Included in the fighting in all of the text books are Sam Houston and Davy Crocket. The one who isn't mentioned is Junaluska, who both turned the tide of the battle and personally saved the life of Andrew Jackson. Let's see a bit about what you missed in school:

As the battle was ongoing, a few captured Creek were brought in to be questioned. While this was happening, one of the Creek Warriors broke free. Grabbing a knife, he lunged at Andrew Jackson in an effort to kill him. Junaluska, seeing what was happening tripped the warrior as he was going for Andrew Jackson, thus saving his life.

Later, Junaluska devised a plan to give Andrew Jackson and his army the upper hand. He and about a dozen Cherokee warriors swam the Tallapoosa river and loosed some canoes that the Creek had placed for escape. While under fire, they maneuvered the canoes to the other bank where more Cherokee warriors laid in wait. These all attacked the Creek from their rear creating the needed diversion for Jackson's army to penetrate the breastworks of the Creek fortifications and slay the Creek inside.

There were 1,300 Creek inside the stockade, of which not more than 20 escaped. 300 were captured, of which only 3 were men. A decisive battle, shortened and won because of Junaluska and his Cherokee warriors who turned the tide of the battle with his planning, direction and execution.

Andrew Jackson then made a pledge to Junaluska: "As long as the sun shines and the grass grows, there shall be friendship between us, and the feet of the Cherokee shall be toward the east."

Just a few years later, less than 20 in fact, Jackson betrayed his allies and the man who single handedly saved his life. Jackson was a driving force behind the Cherokee removal - a nice sanitized way of saying the murder of over 2,000 Cherokee and the theft of their traditional lands - which began in 1833 and came to fruition in 1836.

The last time I looked, the sun still shines. I need to cut my grass right now as it still grows. But the feet of the Cherokee no longer face to the east. They have been moved to Arkansas and later moved again to Oklahoma.

"A man is only as good as his word. If his word isn't worth a damn, then neither is he."

When the great removal of the Cherokee began, Junaluska is quoted as saying: "Oh my God, if I had known at the battle of the Horse Shoe what I know now, American history would have been differently written." Variously he has been quoted as saying: “If I had known that Jackson would drive us from our homes, I would have killed him that day at the Horseshoe.”

Eventually, Junaluska did return to his home. No, not at the direction of the man he saved. Not at the direction of the army he helped defeat its enemies at Horseshoe Bend. Not at the direction of the Army supported by the Cherokee in the War of 1812. He walked. He walked all the way from Oklahoma back to his home in "the land of the Little Tennesee."

In 1847 he did receive recognition from the General Assembly of North Carolina when they ratified "An Act In Favor of the Cherokee Chief, Junoluskee". Part of the statement says that he, "distinguished himself in the service of the United States at the battle of Horse Shoe as commander of a body of Cherokees, as well as divers other occasions during the last war with Great Britain." The assembly awarded him full citizenship, 337 acres of land in Cherokee County and 100 dollars.

That is why, even today, some Cherokee will not accept a $20.00 bill. It is a reminder of a liar who took credit for the work of others. It is a reminder of a man who murdered those who saved his life, who helped him win his battles, and who defended the country he later came to lead against those same people. His word wasn't worth a damn.

Yakoke. Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer reading it more broad like this article. it was more than just one act.

The title of worst US president is hotly debated and is most often awarded to Andrew Johnson or Warren Harding. Many polls and studies rank Andrew Jackson in or near the top 10 best presidents. However, to many Cherokees Andrew Jackson is without a doubt the worst US president. Some Cherokees would rather carry two ten-dollar bills or twenty one-dollar bills than carry a single twenty-dollar bill. Why? Because the US has chosen to commemerate Jackson's presidency by putting his face on the twenty dollar bill.

So why is Jackson so disliked by the Cherokee? Oddly enough, at one point the Cherokee were allies with Andrew Jackson. It was at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend where Andrew Jackson's famous story really began. He was considered a hero after his victory in this battle against the Creek Indians, a victory he would not have attained had it not been for his Cherokee allies who fought alongside him.

Several years later in 1828 Andrew Jackson was elected president. His popularity and subsequent election are largely attributed to his pro-Indian removal platform. Once in power he began to allow whites to move onto Cherokee land. He also allowed Georgia to extend state law to include the Cherokee Nation. This called into question Cherokee sovereignty and declared their government and laws void.

In 1830 Congress passed the Indian Removal Act. Gold had been discovered on what was Cherokee land in western Georgia and the white settlers wanted to get the Cherokee out of the way. In Jackson's own words, "[The Indian Removal Act] will place a dense and civilized population in large tracts of country now occupied by a few savage hunters." Jackson painted a picture of the Cherokee as illiterate, uncivilized "savage hunters" even though 90% of the Cherokee Nation could read and write in Cherokee (many could also read and write in English) and were farmers.

The Indian Removal Act was very popular among voters. However, not everyone supported Indian removal. The Act's strongest opponent was Congressman Davy Crockett, but the Act passed regardless. Once passed by Congress, President Andrew Jackson quickly signed the bill into law. And so it began.
Andrew Jackson was pleased with the passage of the law because in addition to enabling the States to "advance rapidly in population, wealth, and power" he believed the law would also help the Cherokee and other Indian tribes. In his address to Congress in 1830 Andrew Jackson stated:

• "It will separate the Indians from immediate contact with settlements of whites; free them from the power of the States; enable them to pursue happiness in their own way and under their own rude institutions; will ****** the progress of decay, which is lessening their numbers, and perhaps cause them gradually, under the protection of the Government and through the influence of good counsels, to cast off their savage habits and become an interesting, civilized, and Christian community."
The Cherokee did not consider the Indian Removal Act to be the humanitarian act Jackson claimed it to be. They fought the law by challenging it in the Supreme Court. In Cherokee Nation vs. Georgia (1831), the Supreme Court refused to hear the case on the basis that the Cherokee Nation did not represent a sovereign nation. However, in the case of Worcester vs. Georgia (1832) the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Cherokee. The Supreme Court this time ruled that the Cherokee Nation was sovereign thus making the removal laws invalid. The decision, rendered by Justice John Marshall, declared the forced removal of the Cherokee Nation to be illegal, unconstitutional and against treaties made. President Andrew Jackson, who had the executive responsibility of enforcement of the laws, stated, "John Marshall has made his decision; let him enforce it now if he can."

Andrew Jackson was clearly unhappy with the Supreme Court ruling. In order for Jackson to remove the Cherokee he would need for the Cherokee to agree to removal in a treaty. In 1835 Jackson got what he wanted. The Treaty Party, a small faction of the Cherokee Nation led by Major Ridge, his son John, and Elias Boudinot, signed the Treaty of New Echota. The Treaty violated Cherokee law. Chief John Ross gathered 16,000 signatures of Cherokees who opposed removal. However, once the treaty was ratified by the US Senate it was official: the Cherokee could now be removed.

In 1838 the removal of the Cherokee began when General Winfield Scott, along with several thousand men, forcibly removed thousands of Cherokees from their homes and their land. The trip was brutal and about 4000 Cherokees died along the way on what became known as the "Trail Where They Cried" or the "Trail of Tears." John Ross, then Chief of the Cherokee, led the later parties from Georgia to Oklahoma and helped many to survive the harrowing journey.

The Cherokee settled in Indian Territory. The Cherokee land covered the Northeastern corner of present day Oklahoma. For their act of betrayal against the Cherokee Nation the leaders of the Treaty Party faced a punishment of death, according to Cherokee law. In 1839 Major Ridge, John Ridge, and Elias Boudinot were all assassinated. The factionalism created by the Treaty and removal did not go away and divided the Cherokee people for many years. Many are still divided over the issue of blame between the Ridge Party and the Ross Party.

It is important, when looking at these events in history, to remember that Andrew Jackson did not work alone. While there was some resistance to his Indian Removal actions, there was a lot of support. The United States voters who voted for Jackson because of his pro-Removal stance are also responsible. Some people considered Indian Removal a humanitarian gesture to help isolate the Indians from encroachment, but many others simply wanted more land. Davy Crockett who opposed the bill was ruined politically and left politics and Tennessee for Texas (where he died in the Alamo).

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Suffice it to say that when a man gives his word, it should be his bond. When you give your word to your savior (which is what Junaluska was on that day) you really should keep it. If someone saves your life, would you not think they deserve respect, even gratitude?

Andrew Jackson did not think so. They were only words that he uttered. They carried no weight. As with any liar, he said what was convenient --- what he needed to get what he wanted. The Cherokee were not that different from other nations. They despised the liar.

As with any liar, Jackson was always looking for a way to phrase things so that he did not appear to be the one at fault or doing wrong.

I know I'm being baited Farmer Chick, so let's see how well I can avoid this becoming a political post. I think I'll succeed despite your effort this time.

In 1830 Congress passed the Indian Removal Act. Gold had been discovered on what was Cherokee land in western Georgia and the white settlers wanted to get the Cherokee out of the way. In Jackson's own words, "[The Indian Removal Act] will place a dense and civilized population in large tracts of country now occupied by a few savage hunters." Jackson painted a picture of the Cherokee as illiterate, uncivilized "savage hunters" even though 90% of the Cherokee Nation could read and write in Cherokee (many could also read and write in English) and were farmers.

I'm sure you've heard of the "five civilized tribes", one of which was the Cherokee. The others were the Creek, Choctaw, Chickasaw and the Seminoles. At the time, they were known also as the five assimilated tribes. They had learned to live with the whites as cohabitors of the land. The Cherokee considered the whites as allies. They were not savages. Many Cherokee even attended universities in their attempt to assimilate into white society.

The Indian Removal Act was very popular among voters. However, not everyone supported Indian removal. The Act's strongest opponent was Congressman Davy Crockett, but the Act passed regardless. Once passed by Congress, President Andrew Jackson quickly signed the bill into law. And so it began.
Andrew Jackson was pleased with the passage of the law because in addition to enabling the States to "advance rapidly in population, wealth, and power" he believed the law would also help the Cherokee and other Indian tribes. In his address to Congress in 1830 Andrew Jackson stated:

• "It will separate the Indians from immediate contact with settlements of whites; free them from the power of the States; enable them to pursue happiness in their own way and under their own rude institutions; will ****** the progress of decay, which is lessening their numbers, and perhaps cause them gradually, under the protection of the Government and through the influence of good counsels, to cast off their savage habits and become an interesting, civilized, and Christian community."
The Cherokee did not consider the Indian Removal Act to be the humanitarian act Jackson claimed it to be. They fought the law by challenging it in the Supreme Court. In Cherokee Nation vs. Georgia (1831), the Supreme Court refused to hear the case on the basis that the Cherokee Nation did not represent a sovereign nation. However, in the case of Worcester vs. Georgia (1832) the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Cherokee. The Supreme Court this time ruled that the Cherokee Nation was sovereign thus making the removal laws invalid. The decision, rendered by Justice John Marshall, declared the forced removal of the Cherokee Nation to be illegal, unconstitutional and against treaties made. President Andrew Jackson, who had the executive responsibility of enforcement of the laws, stated, "John Marshall has made his decision; let him enforce it now if he can."

This bit of politics could be carried out by any politician. Just stab your ally in the back for fun and profit. There is so much bull dung in the statements the article quoted that it could cover the earth twice over. The Cherokee were not at war with the whites as they wanted to be assimilated into them. They built churches and many converted to Christianity to become more like their allies.

What the Cherokee did not realize was that english is a funny language, and white culture is odd. The Cherokee wanted the whites to consider them "civilized", but lacked the understanding of what the whites considered civilized to mean. It just wasn't in them to be dishonest, deceitful.

The Cherokee considered honor to be important. When you gave your word it was a powerful thing, and failing to keep that word was a dishonor. Junaluska had sworn to kill all of the Creek - to the last man woman and child. When Junaluska returned to the Snowbird Clan he related the events of the battle, according to the Cherokee custom, at the next dance after his return. Explaining that General Jackson and Major Ridge's Cherokee regiment did not carry the battle on to eradicate the whole of the Creek Nation forever as he had promised, Junaluska told his story with a single word, detsinulahungu, "I tried, but could not". This was a cue to the song leader, who at once took it as the burden of his song. Thenceforth the disappointed warrior was known as Tsunulahunski, "One who tries, but fails".

The Cherokee did not understand deceit in one's word or deeds. It was not part of their culture. That's why they suck at politics.

We still see much of the legacy of Andrew Jackson on these forum in the "Signs and Symbols" forum. The lies told about the vast fields of gold and silver, as well as how the Cherokee hid them have resulted in the destruction of some very special bits of American history.

Plain and simple version: Jackson was an ingrate who betrayed those who brought him to the prominence needed to gain the highest office in this land. He stabbed them in the back, murdered their women and children as well as their elderly and infirm.

His legacy among those who were once his allies is that he was a murderer, a liar and a man without loyalty to anyone or anything but himself.

Last edited:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bait you? I am agreeing with you. I just posted more info on the question you asked in your original post. You gotta chill man!

it was several acts of mistreatment over the years that led to the Cherokee despising Jackson obviously.

I agree. Liars are horrible. But it sure is in everyday life from the beginning of time til now. As time progressed tho people got better and trickier at the lies.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Make them go away. I was not part of it? But for All the stunts pulled,removal leaves me feeling dirty. Now i,m carrying dirty 20s.
My native friends gone on different paths now who discussed with me at patient length relationships,were any mans equal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
bait you? I am agreeing with you. I just posted more info on the question you asked in your original post. You gotta chill man!

it was several acts of mistreatment over the years that led to the Cherokee despising Jackson obviously.

I agree. Liars are horrible. But it sure is in everyday life from the beginning of time til now. As time progressed tho people got better and trickier at the lies.

The article was a somewhat "sanitized" version of what happened.

Actually my post of the story was even sanitized. For instance, I left out the part where Junaluska buried his Tomahawk in the assailant's skull to stop him. He was fervently faithful to Andrew Jackson until he was betrayed.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok. I believe that it was traumatic for Junaluska. but don't for one minute think this IS THE ENTIRE reason behind the hatred. It started it, sure and more followed that wiped out a culture.

it is all sanitized to some extent. all of history. Do you think they are the only to suffer at the hands of the white man? no obviously. and to this existing day the trauma regarding 'reservations' and politicians?

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
ok. I believe that it was traumatic for Junaluska. but don't for one minute think this IS THE ENTIRE reason behind the hatred. It started it, sure and more followed that wiped out a culture.

Yes more followed. The "Trail of Tears" followed. Even today, it is illegal for Cherokee to live and own land in some parts of Georgia. About 4 or 5 years ago a man was in trouble for buying property in Georgia. His family was one of those removed, and therefore he could not live there.

it is all sanitized to some extent. all of history. Do you think they are the only to suffer at the hands of the white man? no obviously. and to this existing day the trauma regarding 'reservations' and politicians?

I am Houmas. All of the oil rich lands in south Louisiana was once our tribal lands. In Louisiana, even after the turn of the 20th century, it was illegal for blacks to own property. When oil was discovered a legal change was made in the language of Louisiana to take those lands without having to pay either royalty or purchase price.

In the old Napoleonic laws Louisiana was under there were racial classifications. "Free Colored" was a negro who had either been given his freedom or had bought his freedom. A similarly worded but totally (under law) distinct classification was "Free Man of Color" or "Free Woman of Color". This term was used to apply to Native Americans.

Once the value of oil was determined, the legal classifications were changed. "Free Man/Woman of Color" was declared to be equal to "Free Colored". Therefore the lands my people owned was taken and given to the oil producers who paid royalties to the state and federal governments.

To that end, my people have been denied federal recognition. They claim we have died out . . . all 17,000 plus people don't exist. If you try to tell the tax man you don't exist, he can prove it though, you just won't be recognized as being anything but black.

Funny thing, we're classified as black, but when we were discovered some of our people had green eyes and dark brown hair . . . hardly traits of the negro of that day.

So yes, others have suffered as well. The names you mostly know because we are almost always portrayed as evil bloodthirsty savages.

I will tell you this, you have more First Nations participating on this forum than you would believe.

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
Amazing history!! My family has a B&B in robbinsville nc where junaluska is buried and I usually spend about Hal te year up there helping out. Awesome places to hunt for points and such!! I know personally several snowbird locals who stray away from 20's !! However I have always heard from them that he was Cherokee not Choctaw --it also happens to be in what is now graham county where it is still illegal to sell or purchase alcohol !! Tons of legends abound there as well!! Ropetwister's gold and Ned deloziers silver mine are 2 that come to mind!!

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
intersting post to read.

while it is personal in some way to you, many will let this history die out. Along with history from the Greeks, Romans, and Vikings and more.

It is the way. Time does change perspectives and lightens the suffering. Is it right? I don't know. But one thing is more than just native americans suffered on this entire Earth thru the ages.

Keep your heritage and preserve what you can because the basic history of long long LONG ago is not thought about mostly by person living day to day. (once said I am sure to be remembered thru the ages by someone). So will it will happen with the now shorter history situations.

Time may not heal all, but time thoughout history does make people forget and the history loses its punch upon mankind.

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
Junaluska's grave

Attachments

• image-276466688.jpg
    image-276466688.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 207
  • image-2160567561.jpg
    image-2160567561.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 195
OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Amazing history!! My family has a B&B in robbinsville nc where junaluska is buried and I usually spend about Hal te year up there helping out. Awesome places to hunt for points and such!! I know personally several snowbird locals who stray away from 20's !! However I have always heard from them that he was Cherokee not Choctaw --it also happens to be in what is now graham county where it is still illegal to sell or purchase alcohol !! Tons of legends abound there as well!! Ropetwister's gold and Ned deloziers silver mine are 2 that come to mind!!

Junaluska was Cherokee.

The term used for the forced march (ala Nazi Germany) that was eventually called the "Trail of Tears" was, however, coined by a Choctaw Chief.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
intersting post to read.

while it is personal in some way to you, many will let this history die out. Along with history from the Greeks, Romans, and Vikings and more.

It is the way. Time does change perspectives and lightens the suffering. Is it right? I don't know. But one thing is more than just native americans suffered on this entire Earth thru the ages.

Keep your heritage and preserve what you can because the basic history of long long LONG ago is not thought about mostly by person living day to day. (once said I am sure to be remembered thru the ages by someone). So will it will happen with the now shorter history situations.

Time may not heal all, but time thoughout history does make people forget and the history loses its punch upon mankind.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -- George Santayana

The military colleges stress the knowledge of history for that reason. It would serve all here and other places as well to heed those words.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread