Federal Petition-For Metal Detecting on Federal Lands

wvmountaineer

Aug 3, 2012
Hello All,

I've started a petition requesting that our Federal Government amend two acts to allow metal detecting on Federal lands. This petition needs 25,000 signatures before November 1, 2012 for the Obama Administration to provide a response to this request. Please sign the petition and forward it to everyone that loves this great hobby.

We need to take a stand for the hobby and for the people. Our tax dollars pay for the Federal lands and we should be able to metal detect for coins without "Big Brother" dictating in broad language in the use of the land.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/add-exception-metal-detecting-coins-arp-act-1979-and-american-antiquities-act-1906/wX1bd5T1

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Would be nice but this was needed some time ago to get that number of signatures. But I will do my part to help with this.
You got less than 30 days good luck. If not this year start to work on 2013. my have a new administration to work with. Good luck for us all.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
National Forests and National Recreation areas I have no objection to at all and feel we should have the right, but sorry I have no desire AT ALL to see or have people metal detecting in our National Parks...

Your petition would also only allow coin hunting, it would not allow the recovery of lost jewelry in swimming areas...........

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a good honorable effort but damn near a waste of time,Let me explain before people jump my case here.....

Look around at the beachs,public parks,public campgrounds,etc that are ban from metal detecting.They werent always that way,They became that way due to negligence of fellow detectorists,Leaving gaping holes,digging up trash and throwing it down ,etc.The holes left behind caused broken ankles,the trash caused the need for more grounds keeping etc,Could you imagine the damage/risk to federal land?

If your petition proposed that people buy an annual permit the same as hunters and fisherman are required to do,The chances of the land becoming available for our recreational use with metal detectors may actually be possible,But the risk to big brother is way to high for signatures alone to make the change.
Now if big brother can see the chance to charge for an annual license to detect and the probability of making millions in fines and tickets for those who try to slip under the radar on there properties,There may be a chance of a change coming into effect and access being permitted to all of us.Thats just my two cents but id be happy to give my signature to your efforts and i applaud you for making that effort.

HH John

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a good honorable effort but damn near a waste of time,Let me explain before people jump my case here.....

Look around at the beachs,public parks,public campgrounds,etc that are ban from metal detecting.They werent always that way,They became that way due to negligence of fellow detectorists,Leaving gaping holes,digging up trash and throwing it down ,etc.The holes left behind caused broken ankles,the trash caused the need for more grounds keeping etc,Could you imagine the damage/risk to federal land?

If your petition proposed that people buy an annual permit the same as hunters and fisherman are required to do,The chances of the land becoming available for our recreational use with metal detectors may actually be possible,But the risk to big brother is way to high for signatures alone to make the change.
Now if big brother can see the chance to charge for an annual license to detect and the probability of making millions in fines and tickets for those who try to slip under the radar on there properties,There may be a chance of a change coming into effect and access being permitted to all of us.Thats just my two cents but id be happy to give my signature to your efforts and i applaud you for making that effort.

HH John

Really? Do you think you could possibly make your point without Throwing out any unprovable and unsubstantiated claims? I see you just joined, was it so you could put a monkey wrench in any legislation and sound like a hobbiest?
Broken ankles and trash:BangHead:, from detectorists. I would like to see these facts in print please.

Your posts are part of the problem.

And it looks like many places are off limits because things of worth have been found there. Do you really think a government that is Jonesing for the next fix at every turn will alow a chance that you might find something and not pay for it? That is the "fee" you are talking about I guess.

Looks like a good idea, although it is a wasted effort unless Americans have the right to private property again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread