Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Do you live in a "dry county/parish/electoral district"?

I grew up in New Orleans, LA. One would think that the "Big Easy" would have a greater ratio of alcoholics (addicted to alcohol as opposed to the occasional bender) than a dry county in rural Arkansas.

Surprise, it ain't so.

My theory is this: In New Orleans (or insert any other major metropolitan area) you can walk to the corner store and buy ONE BEER if that is all you want. If you live in a dry county and have to drive 20 or 30 miles to get beer, are you going to just get a six pack? Me neither. I used to buy 1 or 2 cases at a time because I hated the long trip. Made it worth my while. Fortunately, I don't drink now.

I did, however, watch people I worked with, neighbors, friends live in this situation. My father in law was a good example of the problem.

When he made the trip to "Bull of the Woods", he'd buy 2 or 3 cases of beer . . . maybe some everclear or other rot gut . . . just to make the trip worthwhile.

Then when he got it all home, he felt he should have all he wanted. Actually saved him from drowning once . . . in a puddle in his own driveway. Others I have dealings with behave the same way (next time I see someone face down in a puddle in their driveway, I'm gonna keep walking).

What about where you live? If you live in a dry county, has it helped reduce alcohol addiction in you area or has it exacerbated a societal problem beyond the norm?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Live in a dry county....

Solution: Make your own.. Whether gut rot, or wine, just let google be your friend :hello2:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to grad school at Texas Tech, dry city, county? They had private clubs in the city, but if you wanted anything you had to drive about 5 miles out of town to the strip. Made the journey with friends every Friday afternoon for 2 years. Had the fridge full of longnecks. Got to be a habit to have a beer at breakfast, a couple at lunch and a six pack or so after dinner. See what you mean. Moved back to San Antonio and hardly ever drank after that.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you live in a dry county, you better buy enough to last you. That way you don't have do make the trip again while only half drunk. :occasion14:

Yes, dry counties have just as many, if not more drinkers/drunks than wet counties. Stupid law, stupid lawmakers.
I used to live in a dry county in Ky. years ago (when I was young and wild), it never stopped us. Actually, we made a little side business out of it, bootleggers are alive and well in those areas.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If you live in a dry county, you better buy enough to last you. That way you don't have do make the trip again while only half drunk. :occasion14:

Yes, dry counties have just as many, if not more drinkers/drunks than wet counties. Stupid law, stupid lawmakers.
I used to live in a dry county in Ky. years ago (when I was young and wild), it never stopped us. Actually, we made a little side business out of it, bootleggers are alive and well in those areas.

Or if you start out half drunk, you can be fully drunk by the time you get home :occasion14:

Unfortunately, that's how most folks look at things.

Bootleggers are a problem here, as well as the shootings which happen regularly

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bootleggers a problem :icon_scratch: I would think they're your go to guys in that situation :laughing7:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My entire state is "wet". It completely baffles me when I visit states like AR that have a mix of wet and dry counties.

Personally, I think dry counties only add to problems like binge drinking for the very reason stated above. People who want to drink are going to drink, and since they have to work much harder to get it, they are going to buy more as a stockpile, and then drink more because they have worked so hard to get it.

Just my 2cent piece.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason, so true...

My advise is to invest heavily into booze, it sells well in the good times and sells even better in the bad times :laughing7:

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh?

Someone mention Beer?
(It's a "food group" don't cha know.....)

Best,
Scott

Last edited:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
In wet/dry states the people that spend the most campaign money to keep a county dry are the bootleggers . Dry is in their best interest .

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In wet/dry states the people that spend the most campaign money to keep a county dry are the bootleggers . Dry is in their best interest .

Same principle for hop weed.

Best,
Scott

Last edited:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there is no such thing as a dry county.

sure, that county does not sell or collect the revenues that goes with it, but geez, you can get any drinks from one county over most times.

when younger my best friend and I travelled while working. Ended up in a dry county. At a gas station we were moaning about having to drive to get beer and a guy overheard us. He said, what ya want? a case of beer for tonight. He said ya got 15 minutes to wait. SURE! well it cost like $10 more per case, we didn't care, but he brought us a case of beer back and we paid and had a blast.

dry county. what a joke LOL

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
In a dry county, it is NORMALLY permissible to possess alcohol for personal consumption, and the amount is usually arbitrarily set by a judge or other lawmaker in the county as to what constitutes what is acceptable.

What is not acceptable, and thus ILLEGAL is the purchase of alcohol by any person including both residents and non-residents withing that county. The sale is, of course, illegal. In the majority of dry counties I have been in the purchase is EQUALLY ILLEGAL.

So, what I see is an admission of breaking the law in whatever jurisdiction you made your purchase. Here, it could result in up to a 1 year vacation in the county hoosegow for PURCHASING that case of beer. Sure hope you didn't purchase it here.

Why do dry counties exist? Wouldn't the county benefit from the increased revenue of those tax dollars?

There is one unfortunate truth to the idea. Taxes have to be spent in the public interest . . . payoffs from the bootleggers can be spent however you want, after the Sheriff and Judge get their cut.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Rules is rules.

Whether they are the rules of golf, football, this forum or the law.

Either one obeys all the rules all of the time, or they shouldn't complain when someone else breaks them. You know, people in glass houses and all :hello:

If one whined because John Doe didn't obey the forum rules, and yet they were willing to break the law . . . well, that one would just be identifying themselves as a hypocrite. Wouldn't you agree?

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nope, not at all. just because one rule is broken doesn't mean it applies to everything in life.

people break rules every single day. some days you are called on them, sometimes you get away with them. simple as that to me.

don't for one second tell me everyone in the world, on this planet, or on this forum are perfect law abiding citizens. If you even try to say that, I won't believe you :laughing9:

if that is the only rule I broke on this planet then I am a saint :)

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's IMPOSSIBLE to abide by every law that applies to us. There are so many laws, and many of them are archaic but still on the books. There are still laws in many places that you have to have a runner with a red lantern in front of any automobile. It's not enforced, but it's still there. There are hundreds of equally stupid laws.

Even of the laws that do apply today, one violation does not equal another. Going 1 MPH over the limit does not equal going 50 MPH over. Unlawful discharge of a firearm does not equal murder. So I am still justified in criticizing people who break the bigger laws.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry , I gave up after the second paragraph. I thought this thread was about dry / wet counties.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
We are perilously close here to dropping into religion and politics as an explanation of dry/wet counties . I applauded the 'dry rule' because it made me a lot of money as a bootlegger .
>
More and more counties that have always been dry are going wet because the greedy baxards want the increased revenue .
When that happens there is no profit incentive for a bootlegger .

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
We are perilously close here to dropping into religion and politics as an explanation of dry/wet counties . I applauded the 'dry rule' because it made me a lot of money as a bootlegger .
>
More and more counties that have always been dry are going wet because the greedy baxards want the increased revenue .
When that happens there is no profit incentive for a bootlegger .

Not sure where that first line about politics and religion came from, but sorry if I somehow offended you.

Here in the county where I live, bootleggers are an important source of the local LEO's income. Many more bootleggers than Sheriff's Deputies. Everyone gets along real well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions