Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
silly scary stuff de jour. Most people dont have debit or credit cards. Mostly.

Perhaps you mean they don't have the RFID / WIFI style cards. More people have debit cards than you would believe. Many banks automatically issue one with each new account.

A simple "sniffer" can be configured to scan for cards in the area while at a concert or other gathering. The sniffer's are small enough to be totally hidden within other electronic gadgets.

Also, it isn't new. Been around and in use as long as there have been the RFID / WIFI style credit cards.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I think that is why those metal wallets and card cases might be useful if you have one of those types of cards like AE. Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,026

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
By placing a single layer of aluminum foil in your wallet, on the outside of the cards, they can't be scanned. The foil reflects the signal. Good Luck. rockhound

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rockhound is correct on that aluminum foil tip..

That is also were the expression "Curses, foiled again" originated from :tongue3:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I am not sure, but I have been thinking about the foil trick. If the foil is towards you in your pocket and the card towards the outside, there is a possibility of the foil reflecting the cards coding back to the receiver. The foil might act like a dish. Just theory, never tried it. All of the high security rooms have the screening metal on the outside of the rooms on all sides, top and bottom. Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,000

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
The foil has to be nearest to the outside of your wallet in order to work, otherwise, it could reflect a signal just as you said. I carry a small survival card tool in mine, it is made of stainless and is the size of a credit card. It is thicker and stronger than foil and is good for almost anything. Good Luck. rockhound

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hate to be a kill joy but the information is highly flawed
check out snopes.com enter rfid cards

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I don't know much . . . but I do know the type of hardware needed to "gather" these have been around since the 90's. I also know snopes can make mistakes like the rest of us.

Add to that the fact that I deal regularly with "identity theft" matters . . . I think snopes got this one wrong.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I found out today that smart phones also have RFID holograms on their backs. Someone hit my next door neighbor for $3000. She didn't know it until she went to make a call and found out her minutes had been used up. Good thing she had relatives working at the phone company, who did a scan and found out that $3000 in bills were accumulated on her phone. Most wer to over seas customers, probably drug related. After she proved that she was no where near those area, they readjusted the bill. Some calls were made in Mexica and Spain. Once the RFID signature has been obtained, it is easily transfered to another phone. She has placed 4 strips of aluminum foil on the back of her phone now and putit inside a case. Good Luck. rockhound

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a co. out there that sells a protective sleeve for the cards. Don't know what it's made of? There was a warning a couple of years ago. Could be just a rumor started to increase sales???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread