My Newest Hobby

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, bow building. Something I got into a couple of years ago as a one time project. But, we all know how these things turn out once a man starts asking himself, "what if". Well, call me guilty. Here's the latest project in the works, a takedown bow that I'm actually hoping to deer hunt with next year.

Attachments

• bowbuild3.jpg
    bowbuild3.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 803

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
thats awesome! what kind of wood do you use? Yew? I've heard that or tamarac is best

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Funny you started that bigscoop,im in the middle of gathering the supplies to make my own arrows,including the broadheads

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats awesome! what kind of wood do you use? Yew? I've heard that or tamarac is best

Actually, it took some trial and error but I use a lot of red oak simply because it's easy to get and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Not the best wood for the job but so far so good.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny you started that bigscoop,im in the middle of gathering the supplies to make my own arrows,including the broadheads

Awesome. I've been thinking of a way to make my own fletcher (feathers) but I just haven't gotten around to attacking that project yet.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COOL
hubby is a bow hunter
got a nice new compound something that is fab. I don't know this type of thing but he loves it. got the target in the backyard etc.

new hobby? Don't tell me archery is replacing detecting??? oh the horror!

edited to say: glad you are back on Everything Else. missed you here! :)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I was 14 when I started hunting with a bow, a long bow before these wheel jobs came out.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COOL
hubby is a bow hunter
got a nice new compound something that is fab. I don't know this type of thing but he loves it. got the target in the backyard etc.

new hobby? Don't tell me archery is replacing detecting??? oh the horror!

edited to say: glad you are back on Everything Else. missed you here! :)

No, no. Just making them is the new hobby. I've always bow hunted so detecting is not in danger. :laughing7: yep, missed all the fun we had here in Everything Else, and of course, your sense of humor! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I was 14 when I started hunting with a bow, a long bow before these wheel jobs came out.

Yep, I remember the "good ol days" as well. It's different now, the mindset of hunters these days. Marketing is part of the problem. For many of today's high tech hunters it's less about the challenge and appreciation of the sport and more to do with ego and just killing something. Assault rifles in the hunting field.......that's just nuts, they have no place there. But don't get me started.....:laughing7:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome. I've been thinking of a way to make my own fletcher (feathers) but I just haven't gotten around to attacking that project yet.
Form a piece of resistance wire the shape you want it and use low amperage to burn them out,if your're using feathers,works rather well.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Theres lots of videos on youtube about making your own arrows bigscoop,check them out. Its not as hard as it sounds.Fletchings can even be made out of duct tape if need be.I plan on using some turkey feathers i have.For shafts I came across some 3/8 inch ash dowels at the hardware store,70 cents apiece.For the broadheads i'll use either 14 gauge or 16 gauge steel sheet metal.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just finished this long bow, 66" & 45# @ 28". Shoots pretty good, draws smooth but a little stacking, which is expected. Not that great of a picture....

Attachments

• bow2-1.jpg
    bow2-1.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 196
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres lots of videos on youtube about making your own arrows bigscoop,check them out. Its not as hard as it sounds.Fletchings can even be made out of duct tape if need be.I plan on using some turkey feathers i have.For shafts I came across some 3/8 inch ash dowels at the hardware store,70 cents apiece.For the broadheads i'll use either 14 gauge or 16 gauge steel sheet metal.

Cool! I'm still shooting carbon arrows, floo-floo feathers most of the time. I also shoot standard 3 inch helical setups. Eyes not what they use to be so I like to be able to see exactly where the arrow impacts when hunting. :laughing7: Right now I'm fighting a bit of limb twist issues in this takedown project.....:BangHead: Much harder to tiller a three piece setup VS a one piece bow.....new to me....still trying to work it all out. :icon_scratch:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I just finished this long bow, 66" & 45# @ 28". Shoots pretty good, draws smooth but a little stacking, which is expected. Not that great of a picture....
Craftsman Indeed!!! Ain't may people left that can use their hands to make something USEFUL!!! God Bless Chris

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:occasion14:Big scoop:icon_thumleft:looks good,hope you waterproofed it in one way or another lol.

Three coats of polyurethane. :icon_thumright: Going to have to find a local source for some various hardwoods.....but this is Florida so?....But would really like to get into some neater and harder riser grains.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Craftsman Indeed!!! Ain't may people left that can use their hands to make something USEFUL!!! God Bless Chris

I think that was the initial attraction.....something I made myself. First few attempts were pretty sad though......:laughing7:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an old Comanche fiberglass recurve myself.Got it for nothing at a friends thrift store.It can also be taken down,no tools required.All three pieces shorter than my arrows.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old Comanche fiberglass recurve myself.Got it for nothing at a friends thrift store.It can also be taken down,no tools required.All three pieces shorter than my arrows.

Neat bow! I've thought about making a takedown long bow in the near future.
I've always liked "simplicity" in bows, and especially the wood bows, but most of all I really love the grains, the natural look and feel of wood. My next interest is going to be leather working I think. At one time I was a collector of recurve bows, wish I would have kept a lot of them now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread