If you had a week? - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 73
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: If you had a week?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #31
    us
    Feb 2008
    Morgantown,WV
    Bounty Hunter Landstar
    4,618
    1001 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bigscoop View Post
    First, to the issue of looting, or stealing and vandalizing, not the same as an aggressive attack on one's physical person. So, for the context of this thread, "no"...I don't believe shooting looters should be made into an open season. The opening post in this thread was about "looting" and not about out right physical threats and/or attacks during home invasion. Entering an occupied residence or business with an armed show of force is subject for an entirely different thread. Just let us pray that all 50 of the customers inside the McDonald's are not packing and all making their move at the same time. I do not want to be in that crossfire.

    Butch, the problem with your logic is that as a society we can't even get kids to quit using drugs despite all efforts to educate them. And like it or not, our society has also become one with two working parents, if in fact both parents still reside in the same home. The very values and principles you want to utilize are fading so fast from our society it is staggering. I would be greatly interested in hearing what laws you would create that would make good values and principles a requirement, though? Not sure how you would do this without violating an endless list of rights? And here rest the flaw in your logic; "Not everyone wants to be educated to Butche's way of thinking and living." I fully understand what you are saying, but the practicality of your proposal just isn't real world anymore. And "no"..the old "arm everyone" is a drum that has been beaten into the ground. Nearly everyone already owns, or has access to at least one gun and you can see how that is working out just dandy.
    I would enact no laws . The right of self preservation is already law . The idea you propose that the principles of personal responsibility and respect for others are outdated are prime for ridicule .
    Why should we surrender our rights to a populace Hell-bent on self destruction ?
    >
    One son in law had access to at least one gun he owned when an armed felon fired on him ,unprovoked ,on a dark street
    with an illegaly posessed .357mag .
    >
    Being legaly armed worked out fine for my son in law . He got the baxard in the head with one shot . Ruled justifieable shoot .
    Wolfpack forever

  2. #32
    us
    onfire

    Nov 2004
    Wisconsin
    250 2500
    2,678
    1334 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    speaking about gun control, Last week I took a trip up north and visited a local gun shop that was robbed of all it's pistols One surfaced in a near by town after a murder using one of these stolen guns. They caught the dude in fact he admitted stealing them He got life for the act but all the guns recovered are now evidence The owner figures 9 to 10 years before he gets them back (Because of the appeals process). Hows that for gun control? Beware of Lawyers.

  3. #33
    us
    manaloneblog.wordpress.com

    Jun 2010
    Wherever there be treasure!
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    13,997
    8666 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by onfire View Post
    speaking about gun control, Last week I took a trip up north and visited a local gun shop that was robbed of all it's pistols One surfaced in a near by town after a murder using one of these stolen guns. They caught the dude in fact he admitted stealing them He got life for the act but all the guns recovered are now evidence The owner figures 9 to 10 years before he gets them back (Because of the appeals process). Hows that for gun control? Beware of Lawyers.
    I do agree our court system needs some serious adjustment.
    "Treasure is wherever it can be found."

  4. #34
    us
    manaloneblog.wordpress.com

    Jun 2010
    Wherever there be treasure!
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    13,997
    8666 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by truckinbutch View Post
    I would enact no laws . The right of self preservation is already law . The idea you propose that the principles of personal responsibility and respect for others are outdated are prime for ridicule .
    Why should we surrender our rights to a populace Hell-bent on self destruction ?
    >
    One son in law had access to at least one gun he owned when an armed felon fired on him ,unprovoked ,on a dark street
    with an illegaly posessed .357mag .
    >
    Being legaly armed worked out fine for my son in law . He got the baxard in the head with one shot . Ruled justifieable shoot .
    Butch, not knowing all the details and circumstances of the shooting you're describing I can't pass any opinion on it. However, usually these things have a spring board leading up to the altercation. Though not a practical reply, I could just as easily argue that there would have been no shooting had there been no guns. And here is yet another flaw in the "arm them all" concept....if neither man would have had a gun then there would have been no shooting at all. If we use just your example of one shooting, two men, it could easily be argued that 50% of that population acted carelessly with a gun. Your example only stands out as to why there is a need for gun control, not the opposite.
    "Treasure is wherever it can be found."

  5. #35
    us
    Feb 2008
    Morgantown,WV
    Bounty Hunter Landstar
    4,618
    1001 times
    Scoop ,
    Can you name me on country where the criminals are without access to firearms ? Name me one such and I'll be more disposed to entertain your argument .......
    >
    My sil was a uniformed ,on duty,police officer and identified himself as such ; as well as ordering the felon to drop the weapon . The felon fired rather than comply . He missed . Sil didn't .
    >
    When guns are outlawed only the outlaws will have guns .
    Wolfpack forever

  6. #36
    us
    manaloneblog.wordpress.com

    Jun 2010
    Wherever there be treasure!
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    13,997
    8666 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by truckinbutch View Post
    Scoop ,
    Can you name me on country where the criminals are without access to firearms ? Name me one such and I'll be more disposed to entertain your argument .......
    >
    My sil was a uniformed ,on duty,police officer and identified himself as such ; as well as ordering the felon to drop the weapon . The felon fired rather than comply . He missed . Sil didn't .
    >
    When guns are outlawed only the outlaws will have guns .
    First, I think you are perhaps confusing "outlawing guns" with "gun control". Nobody is suggesting that guns should be outlawed. What is being discussed is a need for some means, a better means, of gun control. Obviously, and using your own example, not everyone should have access to guns. In the situation you provided we have an armed officer of the law engaging an armed felon, just as it should be. This also serves as a good example as to why some should, and should not, have access to firearms. Nobody is suggesting that guns should be outlawed, only that a better means of gun control is required. As stated before, I do not have an effective answer for the problem, but I do realize there is a need for an effective solution. Arming everyone is not the answer, just as every gun related incident/altercation demonstrates. In every one of these scenarios there is someone who should not have had access to guns. And no matter how hard you try you cannot despite this very obvious fact. As a gun enthusiast I'm not afraid to openly and publicly admit that I fully realize this fact and that an effective solution needs to be brought to the table. If in enacting that effective solution it cost me a bit of gun/access rights then I am all for it. "Guns don't kill people, people do" and we need to find a way to effectively attack the situation.
    "Treasure is wherever it can be found."

  7. #37
    us
    I deal in reality

    Mar 2010
    Maryland
    XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
    8,702
    2959 times
    You haven't said it yet Bigscoop! What is you idea of "Gun Control" that you think would work? Do you suggest more laws, and what laws. I think the point you are missing is that criminals don't obey the law. Frank
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  8. #38
    us
    Tribal Member of United Houma Nation -

    Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    5,330
    6080 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by bigscoop View Post
    First, I think you are perhaps confusing "outlawing guns" with "gun control". Nobody is suggesting that guns should be outlawed. What is being discussed is a need for some means, a better means, of gun control. Obviously, and using your own example, not everyone should have access to guns. In the situation you provided we have an armed officer of the law engaging an armed felon, just as it should be. This also serves as a good example as to why some should, and should not, have access to firearms. Nobody is suggesting that guns should be outlawed, only that a better means of gun control is required. As stated before, I do not have an effective answer for the problem, but I do realize there is a need for an effective solution. Arming everyone is not the answer, just as every gun related incident/altercation demonstrates. In every one of these scenarios there is someone who should not have had access to guns. And no matter how hard you try you cannot despite this very obvious fact. As a gun enthusiast I'm not afraid to openly and publicly admit that I fully realize this fact and that an effective solution needs to be brought to the table. If in enacting that effective solution it cost me a bit of gun/access rights then I am all for it. "Guns don't kill people, people do" and we need to find a way to effectively attack the situation.
    How do you propose to get the felons, the gang bangers and general no goods to abide by that law?

    When you can make them abide by the law, then you will have a gun control law I can accept, PROVIDED THAT IT DOES NOT DEPRIVE EVEN ONE LAW ABIDING CITIZEN of their right to keep and bear arms.

    Until you can get that type of gun control to work, then don't talk to me about gun control. Anything less is an attempt to disarm the honest law abiding public thus making martial law easier to put in place and enforce.
    Last edited by Chadeaux; Nov 08, 2012 at 02:13 PM.
    "When under trial, let no one say: 'I am being tried by God.' For with evil things God cannot be tried, nor does he himself try anyone. . . . Do not be misled, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect present is from above, coming down from the Father of the celestial lights, who does not vary or change like the shifting shadows." --- James 1:13, 16, 17

    A few of my favorite pix: https://www.500px.com/ccjr221

  9. #39

    Jul 2012
    75
    16 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadeaux
    I think we can do without the gun control, if we institute the institutionalization of idiots.

    It's people that pull the trigger, therefore, the gun is only a tool.

    I always have at least three lethal blades on my person except when I'm in the Federal Courthouse (you would not want to do what I do for a living) because I personally won't carry a firearm - don't even own one. On the other hand, I've never had to pull a knife on a human. It's usually a smart butt question about whether I know how to use them. My answer is: "I've been doing this for over 20 years, and I'm still here without a cut or bullet hole in me."

    I do believe that anyone who is able to THINK RATIONALLY should be able to decide for themselves if they want one. I may soon as I'm getting up in years and not as fast or accurate as I once was. Prefer the blades though because I can't accidentally pull the trigger or forget to turn off the safety.

    BTW, there are places that are trying to make it illegal for citizens to carry ANY knives in public. It's the same donkeys that are pushing gun control.
    So what exactly do you do for a living. You may think its hard someone else may think its easy.

  10. #40
    us
    manaloneblog.wordpress.com

    Jun 2010
    Wherever there be treasure!
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    13,997
    8666 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankn View Post
    You haven't said it yet Bigscoop! What is you idea of "Gun Control" that you think would work? Do you suggest more laws, and what laws. I think the point you are missing is that criminals don't obey the law. Frank
    If you have been following my post you would have no doubt read a couple of times where I have stated that, "I do not have an answer to the problem but that I am also a gun enthusiast, one who is open to solutions because I recognize the problem and also feel that it needs addressed." So what is it that you are waiting for me to say, exactly?
    "Treasure is wherever it can be found."

  11. #41
    us
    Feb 2008
    Morgantown,WV
    Bounty Hunter Landstar
    4,618
    1001 times
    Criminals are businessmen , albeit engaged in a poor business . They are looking to turn a profit on their endeavors . They find little or no profit in engaging "Rambos" that will shoot back . Sucsecesful criminals seek the unprotected to prey on . That's where their profit is found .
    >
    I think me and mine will stay 'Rambo' to diminish the profit margin .
    >
    Another interesting tidbit to consider is the fact (check it out) that a police officer has no mandate to protect you as an individual .
    >
    He carries his firearm to protect himself while he is doing his job of solving crimes that have already been committed against the general public he is sworn 'To Protect and Serve'.
    Wolfpack forever

  12. #42
    us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    8,312
    2990 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Onfire's original question; "Why be prepared?" is a valid one if you are going to prepare for any perceived emergency. You buy a generator and fuel for it in case you loose power, you stock up on non-perishable food, you have your medicine and first aid supplies, your water, your radio and batteries, a source to cook and heat, radio transmitters/receivers, and every other thing you could think of to protect yourself and family through a disaster except for one thing. The establishment has taken away your ability to protect everything you have to get you and yours through alive. Now anyone that feels like it can just come in and take it from you with ease. I'm sorry but that just isn't gonna happen. I don't care if I have to resort to a crossbow for protection and "silence", thy will be done. (Is it ok to SOUND religious?)
    truckinbutch likes this.
    Banking off a Northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

  13. #43
    us
    onfire

    Nov 2004
    Wisconsin
    250 2500
    2,678
    1334 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Getting back to being prepared, thought it kind of funny 3 major news channels thought it worthy to show people gathering in places to charge their Cell Phones. Maybe that's so they can order pizza? Some people cling to their guns and religion others their cell phones. What Election?
    truckinbutch likes this.

  14. #44
    us
    manaloneblog.wordpress.com

    Jun 2010
    Wherever there be treasure!
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    13,997
    8666 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by packerbacker View Post
    Onfire's original question; "Why be prepared?" is a valid one if you are going to prepare for any perceived emergency. You buy a generator and fuel for it in case you loose power, you stock up on non-perishable food, you have your medicine and first aid supplies, your water, your radio and batteries, a source to cook and heat, radio transmitters/receivers, and every other thing you could think of to protect yourself and family through a disaster except for one thing. The establishment has taken away your ability to protect everything you have to get you and yours through alive. Now anyone that feels like it can just come in and take it from you with ease. I'm sorry but that just isn't gonna happen. I don't care if I have to resort to a crossbow for protection and "silence", thy will be done. (Is it ok to SOUND religious?)
    And that's fine, in that situation. Where I see a problem is with "the arm everyone" mentality. Clearly that's not a very well thought out statement or solution.
    "Treasure is wherever it can be found."

  15. #45
    us
    manaloneblog.wordpress.com

    Jun 2010
    Wherever there be treasure!
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    13,997
    8666 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by truckinbutch View Post
    >
    Another interesting tidbit to consider is the fact (check it out) that a police officer has no mandate to protect you as an individual .
    >
    He carries his firearm to protect himself while he is doing his job of solving crimes that have already been committed against the general public he is sworn 'To Protect and Serve'.
    Hu. And here I thought they were also on patrol in an effort to prevent crimes from being committed. Not sure I'd want to live in your neck of the woods if they take action only after the crime has been committed. Now I understand why you feel the need to carry the firearm. That must be one tough area of the country. j/k
    "Treasure is wherever it can be found."

 

 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Hot Pepper & Tomato Garden Week 1 + my 8 week old Puppies
    By treasurefiend in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Apr 17, 2012, 11:04 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: Apr 06, 2012, 09:37 PM
  3. This Weeks Finds... What a Difference a Week Can Make.
    By baddbluff in forum Coin Roll Hunting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Mar 10, 2012, 10:53 AM
  4. End of Week Dimes - 3 Keepers! - A good week for silver
    By Kamyu in forum Coin Roll Hunting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Feb 04, 2012, 11:14 AM
  5. End of a good week: my best week on halves ever updated w/ pict
    By obsessedwithsilver in forum Coin Roll Hunting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct 30, 2009, 09:07 PM

Search tags for this page

content

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0