How honest are you? Or what is your price?

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
On occasion we get moral dilemmas posted on TN. I remember the heated exchanges about returning lost rings. So how honest are you? Or what is your price?

You are driving down a country road behind a Brinks armored truck. The truck hits a bump and the rear door pops open and a bag flops out. By the time you reach the bag the truck is long gone. No one sees you retrieve the bag and drive off. When you return home you notice the name and the phone number of the bank on the bag. You are about to do the right thing and have your phone in hand ready to call the bank to report the lost bag. However, you are curious and open the bag.

A. It contains $1.2 million in untraceable cash. Do you call the bank? Or do you call your boss to tell him to go @###@ himself?
B. It contains $50000. Do you call the bank?
C. It contains $1500. Do you call the bank? Or your local MD dealer to order a high end detector?
D. It contains $85. Do you call the bank or Pizza Hut?

So what's your price?

George

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm, Brinks huh...I don't won't people to get the wrong impression of me, but I would most certainly keep it. I'd take it home and sit on it for a few weeks, then slowly start spending. Their insurance company would write it all off as a loss anyways -- no individual person would suffer.

However, if I (and have) found a wallet or purse, with ID and money, I'd certainly give it back.

But insurance companies.....forget it.....they would eat it. ;D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have to turn it in and hope for a reward. To keep it would go against all that I have lived by for my entire life. Tempting? Yes! But my conscience would eat me alive if I kept it. Monty

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
hmmmm....Brinks truck on a country road? ....looks suspicious already...Pick up the bag and follow ...because if that back door is opened....I would assume more than one bag is falling out! :)
.....Also assuming that this truck has been hijacked by a devious gang of thugs....and so after picking up several bags.. ;) I would high tail it out of there and then call the cops and tell them where those thugs were last seen.The cops would then find these thugs and they would get the rap ,because they were bad bad bad to steal the truck in the first place.
I being the innocent and now fortunate bystander .... would sit on the money for a bit....and then anonymously donate half to various poor folks,orphanages etc .....and live off the other half.... ;)
and they all lived happily ever after.
The End

S

stefen

There's an old story about a man asking his neighbor if she would go to bed with him for $5? She say's no. And what do you think I am, a whore?

How about $50? Again, she says no.

How about $5000? She again says no.

How about $50,000? Finally she says yes. And he says "You are a whore, I just needed to find your price".

The moral is that everyone has their level of honesty.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I consider Myself Honest to a Fault,
no matter What I think & say,

HOWEVER ! I think.

If it's $85.00 I'd consider returning it.
for my 15 Minutes of Fame.

$1500.00 Plus.

I'd have to think about it.

The Bank & Brinks are most Defiately Insured.

I'd have to Weigh the odds of the money being Traceable.

Maby hide it till I find out.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
B,

A, B, C, or D.

I would keep my mouth shut and keep it.

It would all go to the poor....ME.

have a good un.............

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try to return it, while secretly hoping no one claims it and it is mine to keep.

Ed D.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Stealing is wrong, as is getting something for nothing.

Knowing that insurance will cover the loss, and they will jack up the rates to everyone on their list to recover their loss, I expect no one person will get hit hard by the loss.

Therefore I'd probably give it out in small amounts to those who would do good by it. Shriners, Childrens hospitals, etc.

I'd get rid of it quickly and anonymously to avoid the temptation.

I've returned every wallet I've found, regardless of cash or no cash.

Loose bills I've found I pocketed.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know for sure, but while l was in the Border Patrol, a wet once offered all that he had to let him go ---.25 cents US.. I have the dubious honor of being known as having the lowest known bribe offered. However, being impeccably honest, I simply told him, "forget it, go back to Mexico and I'll see you next week". hehe

Tropical Tramp

B

BIG61AL

Sounds like a trick question .... like when your wife asks if a certain pair of pants makes her butt look fat.
[size=10pt]RUN ...RUN AWAY!!![/size]

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Guess I am at that age,where I have been raised and taught to do what's right and I have raised my three children the same way.I am with Monty 100%.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BIG61AL said:
Sounds like a trick question .... like when your wife asks if a certain pair of pants makes her butt look fat.
[size=10pt]RUN ...RUN AWAY!!![/size]

See now that's where I'm Overly Honest.
(or Dishonest when Necessary, if they don't)

Every woman who's Ever asked me that Got an

"Yep" !

Stops them from asking except when they Think they Need to Remind
me to look.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that everyone's honesty, integrity and morals has a price, nobody is perfect. One Hundred Million (or more) in cash would probably buy just about anyones honesty or anything else as far as that goes.

People may say this, and say that, but trust me...a semi-truck full of pallets of 100 dollar bills pulls into your driveway...and it's yours if you _______...you're gonna _______. ;D

Attachments

• money.jpg
    money.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 363

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hummm, well not real hard to answer.

Yes knowing there ins would cover it, I would keep it.

BUT

I would then hunt out as many homeless, hopeless people i could find and afford depending on how much was there and set them up in a nice apt for a mth, a couple sets of clothes enuf food for a mth and a new suit for job interviews.

I would retain 10% for me, the rest would go to help those that the system has broken, and that help would come from me not some agency that would scoop XX% from the top for expenses.

OP
OP
B

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I have to agree with Night Stalker's viewpoint that what we would say we would do may be quite different when we HAVE THAT $1.2 million is IN OUR HANDS. ( I also liked gypsyheart's idea to FOLLOW THAT TRUCK FOR MORE LOST BAGS).

There was a recent post by another THer in another forum. He had been contacted by a landowner to conduct a search on his property for lost caches. An oral agreement was reached and the detectorist was to receive a percentage of the finds. A "problem" quickly developed. It turned out that those old stories of lost caches were NOT FOLKLORE OR LEGENDS BUT REAL. The detectorist very quickly started finding substandial caches(He posted his share of the finds). However, once that landowner had all those old silver dollars in his hand GREED kicked in. He told the detectorist to leave(There were many more large caches to be found). His word and integrity meant nothing. All that mattered was his greed.

Large amounts of money does strange things to honest people.

George

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Sadly, what passes for honesty, integrity, and virtue is really often due to nothing more than lack of opportunity.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Night Stalker,

I got almost the same picture in an email from a nice gentleman in Ghana! He said much of it would be mine, if I only sent him $10000 to help getting it out of the country. I guess you got it all! ;D ;D ;D

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread