Elementary School Places Unruly Kids In Solitary Confinement

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that school is four blocks from my house.
Yes it made the news when the story hit the big cities...The quiet room has been in place for four years with no problems. Due to the big brouhaha the room has now been removed.
Lots of reasons the room was a needed fixture in the school. Often times a child would request to be allowed to go there when he or she was feeling overly stressed. With a shattered home life a quiet and safe place is a valuable thing to a disturbed, abused or damaged child.
Just sending a trouble making child to the principals office just doesn't work anymore. The principal or staff can't babysit the child...Can't break out the hack paddle and blister there buns.(law suit city nowadays.) Piling on punishment homework for unruly calss behavior doesn't work either. The kid just blows it off and the teacher is powerless to do anything about it. Can't flunk a kid anymore since the Government instituted the No Child Left Behind program. All kids just get advanced regardless of there abilities or merit because our goverment says they will. (thanks Hillary)
What do you do with a kid that is throwing a royal fit and making the classroom unsafe for himself and the other students?? Teacher sure can't lay a hand on him... The room was a place for anger management letting the child decompress while being in a safe place so he couldn't hurt himself, escape the school grounds, or hurt other students.

"Times change, as folks will say."

I believe that in today's "FAST" lifestyle, with no time for this, yet time for that, time must ALWAYS be made for a child.

Children need to be able to look up to:
#1) Their Parents.
#2) Their Teachers
#3) Role models such as those who protect like Firemen and Firewomen, Policemen and Policewomen, those in the military and Religous Friends and Leaders.

I cannot over-stress the importance of teaching children in every situation available. Early impressions lead to lifetime values and morals.

Unfortunately, none of these things are now a part of the America that I grew up knowing.
(ADDED: It has occured to me that this should be the norm worldwide....)

Our Children are our future.

How can YOU help a child?

Alway My Best,

Scott

PS. That makes four cents. I got change for a dime....
(and my career is off and flying! I'll be rich in no time....:tongue3:)

Last edited:

gordygroover

Sep 2, 2011
I understand your longing to have the american classroom situation fit a rosier picture than what it does now.
My wife has been a teacher for thirty-two years and is as disgusted as anyone over what the American educational system has become.
It is nothing abnormal to have students (elementary level) who can speak not one word of english.
One of her students lives in a car with her mom at the Jack-in-the-box parking lot on nights when she isn't turning tricks in Portland.
Half of her students have someone other than a parent show up for Parent/Teacher conference nights. Often times nobody shows.
Sure it would be great if everything would be peaches and cream for everyone involved in classrooms today but things are so much different today.
A student tried to stick a pencil in another students eye this week at her school (third grade.) His aim was off but he did manage to bury the pencil point in the students face. Good luck instilling happy feelings of self worth amid the screams and blood,
Dont forget, as this is going on the other 32 students are getting pressured to pass the government mandated tests all our kids are forced to take. As we all know, teachers don't get to teach anymore.. their job is to get the kids ready to pass the next test. Not knowledge..just regurgitation of facts to satisfy the State requirements to insure federal funding.
It would be easy to go on and on but the more you know of the realities of the present eductional system the darker and bleaker the picture is.
Remember, society asks the school systems to do the job that the parents of these troubled kids don't even attempt.
If the parents were actively busting there buns creating wonderfull well adjusted children then why are so many not wonderfull, poorly adjusted kids in the school system to begin with?

Last edited:

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand your longing to have the american classroom situation fit a rosier picture than what it does now.
My wife has been a teacher for thirty-two years and is as disgusted as anyone over what the American educational system has become.
It is nothing abnormal to have students (elementary level) who can speak not one word of english.
One of her students lives in a car with her mom at the Jack-in-the-box parking lot on nights when she isn't turning tricks in Portland.
Half of her students have someone other than a parent show up for Parent/Teacher conference nights. Often times nobody shows.
Sure it would be great if everything would be peaches and cream for everyone involved in classrooms today but things are so much different today.
A student tried to stick a pencil in another students eye this week at her school (third grade.) His aim was off but he did manage to bury the pencil point in the students face. Good luck instilling happy feelings of self worth amid the screams and blood,
Dont forget, as this is going on the other 32 students are getting pressured to pass the government mandated tests all our kids are forced to take. As we all know, teachers don't get to teach anymore.. their job is to get the kids ready to pass the next test. Not knowledge..just regurgitation of facts to satisfy the State requirements to insure federal funding.
It would be easy to go on and on but the more you know of the realities of the present eductional system the darker and bleaker the picture is.
Remember, society asks the school systems to do the job that the parents of these troubled kids don't even attempt.
If the parents were actively busting there buns creating wonderfull well adjusted children then why are so many not wonderfull, poorly adjusted kids in the school system to begin with?

WOW!
I don't know where to begin to reply to your post.
Suffice it for me to say that I recognize and understand you and your wife's feelings.

I do know that what was once known as discipline is now considered child abuse.

All kidding aside, I find it helpful for me to focus on what changes that I can make to help a child/student,
just as was shown to me in the 60's-70's in my youth, and to not worry about the whole world.

Mentor one child at a time; show them how important that they are, how important that their ideas are, that they matter and are loved.

You will have made a difference and your memory will hopefully encourage the legacy of your moral fortitude to be passed on....That's what I say.....

My Best,

Scott

PS. Ka-ching! That's six cents. Y'all want me to start a tab? Who gets my bill?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
All i can say is that this is what happens when idiots elect idiots to run the country.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Schools are run by the state right?

That is the reason they can indoctrinate the kids and if you speak out. You get investigated for abuse or told you are racist and they threaten to investigate you. Seen it happen all around me.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red,
Oh, I get it now, you're talking politics.

(Hint: You're in my "wheel-house" now....)

That is a fine discussion, my Friend, but,
does a 6-12 year old needing a "Big Brother" or "Big Sister" give a damn about politics?

How about a gifted child in need of nurturing or mentoring?

I'd kinda like to see this thread progress with minimal policical influences and discourse mentioned and instead would rather read of positive alternatives and experiences.....

My Best,

Scott

Last edited:
OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Not politics really except for the fact that public schools are state run.The state tells what to teach and how to teach.

That is a fine discussion, my Friend, but,
does a 6-12 year old needing a "Big Brother" or "Big Sister" give a damn about politics?

You could look at this question another way also.Does politics give a damn about a 6 to 12 year old needing a big brother or big sister.The way schools are now the answer would have to be no.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not politics really except for the fact that public schools are state run.The state tells what to teach and how to teach.

You could look at this question another way also.Does politics give a damn about a 6 to 12 year old needing a big brother or big sister.The way schools are now the answer would have to be no.

Succintcly, you are correct.

I endeavor, however, to be the hope of just one child that I may lead to personal success.

That is my passion and "wheel-house."

May you be a positive example/influence towards all children, tomorrow and forever!

My Best,

Scott

Last edited:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not too tough to turn around a half-bad kid (yes, I used the word "bad" to describe a child) but, if you were to use all of this huggy-squeezy stuff on a truly street-hardened kid, he would walk all over you. This utopian fantasy of saving a "lost" child is just that, a fantasy. You would be hard pressed to get their attention without the use of violence. You can read all the books you want but, once you hit the mean streets, that all goes out the window...................in my book anyway. :)

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm curious about whatever happened to staying after school or being sent to the principles office or being given extra homework as a punishment.
We were sent to the Vice Principal's office,he had a BIG paddle with holes in it,I swear the meat on my butt used to go through them holes!! First place I ever bought a gun was at school,brought it home on the bus,22 rifle. Try that today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread