Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
“Isolation booths” mimic treatment of prisoners

Paul Joseph Watson
Infowars.com
November 29, 2012

Concerns that schools are becoming more and more like prisons have been bolstered by the revelation that numerous school districts are using “isolation booths” to place unruly children in solitary confinement as a punishment for bad behavior.

The controversy erupted after concerned mother Ana Bate found out from her son that Mint Valley Elementary School in Longview, Washington was using a padded isolation chamber to deal with students with “behavioral disabilities”. Bate obtained photos of the isolation box and posted them on Facebook, prompting outrage and interest from local media.

The school claims the isolation box is a “therapeutic booth” and that only children with special needs and parental permission are placed inside. However, Candace Dawson told KATU.com that her son was put inside the booth without her permission.

“He said that’s the naughty room,” Dawson told KATU News. “That’s what he called it. He said when kids are naughty they get put in there.” Dawson filed a formal complaint yesterday.

KATU also received a separate letter from another mother saying her child was also put inside the box without her permission.

The isolation box is also in use at dozens of other school districts in the local region, including HIllsboro, Battle Ground and Reynolds.

Bate’s son told his mother he was “distraught” at being forced to sit near the booth for 4 hours as a punishment for “roughhousing” on the playground. During that time, he said he saw several other children being placed inside, suggesting the use of the box is commonplace and not in extreme circumstances as the law in Oregon and Washington mandates.

“[He was] thinking it was scary, it was abusive, are they gonna do this to me?” Bate told KATU.

The isolation box is not a far cry from solitary confinement that is used in jails as a punishment for dangerous prisoners. Although the children are placed inside the box for a limited time, the psychological effect is far more likely to be damaging that “therapeutic,” as the school claims.

Solitary confinement is considered by many to be a form of psychological torture. Both the American Civil Liberties Union and Human Rights Watch have warned that solitary confinement is traumatic for young people. Studies into solitary confinement used in prisons have found the method to be “counter-productive” and have noted that it actually increases violent tendencies.

Forcing children to go into solitary confinement, in some cases without parental permission, is another example of how schools are beginning to resemble prisons to a greater and greater degree.

From surveillance cameras in school bathrooms, to palm-scanning for school meals, in addition to regular police drug raids, schools are increasingly being used not just for education but indoctrination – teaching children that they are prisoners of the state and acclimatizing them to being constantly spied on and subjecting them to prisoner training.

“If you feel like you have to lock a child up, they shouldn’t be in public school,” Ana Bate told KATU. “I don’t think it gets any clearer than that.”

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No joke....I spent nearly a month in a freezer box,secluded from my class in 5TH grade...............I to this day,dont recall what I did?I never was a bad kid?I taught myself to read though!

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm curious about whatever happened to staying after school or being sent to the principles office or being given extra homework as a punishment.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious about whatever happened to staying after school or being sent to the principles office or being given extra homework as a punishment.

Teachers these days,IMHO......dont have the passion for the kids they once did....dont get paid OT,and if they did keep them after some kid would probably get revenge saying the teacher touched em or something.I just had to pull my kid out of public school because of Bullying.....didnt happen when I was a kid,ya punched em in the mouth...not now!The teachers and Principal both told me,there hands are tied.Then the parent of the offender wanted to press defamation charges on us,for asking around if any other kids had been bullied!!Sad state of affairs our society is in

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some facts...................to me anyway. That particular school has a total of 461 students. 296 of those students qualify for the Subsidized Lunch program. That means that 64% of them come from low income homes. Those are hard facts. Now take those numbers and compare them to a study done on aggressive kids. See any correlation? I'd say this district is trying to straighten these kids out before their mommys have to complain about how badly they are treated in prison.
12.gif

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats a pretty old study there 1994 to 1995 prepared by the canadian council on social development.Why is that particular organization preparing studies on US children.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So they understand why the people South of them are so screwed up! Always know your enemy! :icon_thumright:
It's even worse than I thought if those are Canadian dollars. :)

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I taught for 30 years. Wish I would have had a box like that. Not for the students, but as a place for me to hide, before and after school, during my "conference" period, lunch. Put in a coffee maker, a computer...Ah paradise. But the kids would have taken it away from me, just like they did my wheelchair, the semester that I broke my leg, my ankle and put a rusty nail through my foot and got infected. 2001, I was 53 and way too old to try and jump a motocross bike over a stone wall. Other teachers thought it was so cute to see the kids wheeling themselves to the RR and back...

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have locked up that complaining mother in the box :laughing7:

Besides, I thinks it give some of these perhaps violent, out of control kids a look at their future in jail :icon_thumright:

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to many social psychology experiments and studies that I'm aware of, most point to detrimental effects of isolation, even for short periods of time, especially when the isolation is forced.
(Perhaps what the gist of "time-out" is all about?)

Studies, such as Dawes, "The Prisoners Dilema," or the experiment of Zimbardo exemplify abberations in behavior that border upon pathological, as a result, due to such circumstances.

Even more disturbing is that the OP directs us to this type of activity being perpetrated upon children, in their formative years!

But, who among us hasn't thought of school as being a prison while attending?

In my opinion, instead of pigeon-holing all "unruly" children towards the same "punishment," it should be determined WHY the child is being unruly.
Perhaps it may be something as simple as a disagreement with another child or something more serious as in domestic abuse or situations in the home.

It's too bad that teachers "don't have the time" anymore to work with children who "act out."

I was one of those children growing up who was always in trouble, it seemed, and a few dedicated teachers saw my potential and nurtured me towards more acceptable social behavior and academic achievement.
I think of them almost daily...

My opinion....value=$0.02

Best,

Scott

PS. My problem was that I felt that I was not getting the same attention at home as my "perfect" sister, but I shined when recognized for accomplishments.
Ummm...Y'all keep that a secret to yourself, OK?

Last edited:

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops....

images

Did I commit a
"thread killer" response?

Sorry.....
{crickets chirping....}

Too bad; I relished debate upon the subject....

Best,

Scott​

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The bulk of the problem is the parents Don't take the time to help there kids. One of my five children was a perminant foster "child". She was 16. She said she wanted to drop out of school because it was to hard for her. I asked what was so hard. She said she had a test the next day on Africa and had to know all the countries. Her problem was she didn't know how to study. I made 5 copies of the African map with names blanked out. I gave her an hour to stare at the original map. I told her she thinks in pictures not words so tie the names to a picture, or make fun of them . I then gave her the blank map and she got several. At the end of 4 hours, she had them all.
I got called into school the next day. The teacher thought she cheated because she aced the test. I explained what I had done. The next day Tina got called her to the front of the room. The teacher told the class , we all know Tina's work, well she aced this test and I want her to tell you how she did it. From that day forward she had no problem in school. Frank

Attachments

• skull etc 019-3-Resting Rose.jpg
    skull etc 019-3-Resting Rose.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Would that include a bottle of my favorite distilled or fermented beverage? :laughing9:

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interestingly, I saw this today....

IM004330-001.JPG

Best,

Scott​

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Last October mu sons third grade class had a substitute teacher...She is a retired teacher from 34 years at this school. she spent the day giving all the kids in the class nicknames, some of the worst being calling two boys girls complete with names, and calling a young lady "little schmitts" (a way of saying little shi**) I let the principal know and she said this isn't the first time this has happened! But she is still there! I was informed in private that because of the teachers union she will not and could not be terminated! And our tax money pays for this.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last October mu sons third grade class had a substitute teacher...She is a retired teacher from 34 years at this school. she spent the day giving all the kids in the class nicknames, some of the worst being calling two boys girls complete with names, and calling a young lady "little schmitts" (a way of saying little shi**) I let the principal know and she said this isn't the first time this has happened! But she is still there! I was informed in private that because of the teachers union she will not and could not be terminated! And our tax money pays for this.

Times change, as folks will say.
What was unquestioned in my youth is now cause for dismissal of teachers.
(I actually got a whippin' at school when I was in the third grade....)

There are limitations of a teacher's ability to adapt and be relevent in their instructions as they age, and when Unions get involved, well....don't start me up....
This teacher sounds like shes's either achieved senility or is lost in the 1890's. Or both.

I have never been one to disparage another for circumstances beyond their control but with children, care must be taken to provide positive examples when disciplining and offer encouragement of future positive behavior and achievement.

To shun a child with "time-out" and even worse, the "isolation booths" is to foster or more deeply embed a feeling of isolation from society and perpetrate aberrant behavioral thoughts.

Once again, just my opinion....

A whole two cents worth. Got change for a nickel?

Best,

Scott

Last edited:

gordygroover

Sep 2, 2011
Well that school is four blocks from my house.
Yes it made the news when the story hit the big cities...The quiet room has been in place for four years with no problems. Due to the big brouhaha the room has now been removed.
Lots of reasons the room was a needed fixture in the school. Often times a child would request to be allowed to go there when he or she was feeling overly stressed. With a shattered home life a quiet and safe place is a valuable thing to a disturbed, abused or damaged child.
Just sending a trouble making child to the principals office just doesn't work anymore. The principal or staff can't babysit the child...Can't break out the hack paddle and blister there buns.(law suit city nowadays.) Piling on punishment homework for unruly calss behavior doesn't work either. The kid just blows it off and the teacher is powerless to do anything about it. Can't flunk a kid anymore since the Government instituted the No Child Left Behind program. All kids just get advanced regardless of there abilities or merit because our goverment says they will. (thanks Hillary)
What do you do with a kid that is throwing a royal fit and making the classroom unsafe for himself and the other students?? Teacher sure can't lay a hand on him... The room was a place for anger management letting the child decompress while being in a safe place so he couldn't hurt himself, escape the school grounds, or hurt other students.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread