AutoZone employee fired after taking action against “Fake Beard Bandit”

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
AutoZone employee fired after taking action against “Fake Beard Bandit”
Posted on: 12:29 am, November 30, 2012, by Darragh Copley, updated on: 07:39am, November 30, 2012

AutoZone employee fired after taking action against

York County, Va. – The man dubbed the “fake-beard bandit” has hit more than 30 businesses on the Peninsula.

Each time, the MO is the same: He walks in, flashes a gun and takes off with the cash.

But this time, an AutoZone employee decided he was going to take action!

“I was in fear of my life as soon as he walked through the door and I see the gun. Your heart just starts pounding,” says Devin McClean, a former Auto Zone employee.

Devin McClean decided to take action after recognizing the Fake Beard Bandit.

“I waited for him to go up toward the front, I ran out of the restroom, ran out to my truck where I keep my own personal weapon, grabbed my weapon, came back into the store and confronted the guy,” says McClean.

“When I yelled “freeze” and I said “Stop, drop the weapon,” he threw his hands up with his gun still in his hand he started running,” says McClean. “I felt like it was my responsibility to step in.”

Devin’s manager is grateful.

“He was like “Thank you Devin, you really saved my life,” says McClean.

Two days later, he was fired.

“It’s pretty much getting slapped in the face doing something that you feel was right everybody else around you feels you were right,” says McClean.

NewsChannel 3 spoke to a representative at AutoZone’s corporate office, and he says that the company has a zero tolerance policy for employees having weapons inside the store.

“If I can save somebody’s life, I put that way above a store policy,” says McClean.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did they catch the guy? story is kinda vague on that part. I think Mr. McClean did the right thing, maybe he should have waited til the guy got out the door before putting a cap in his....................................................................................toe.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NewsChannel 3 spoke to a representative at AutoZone’s corporate office, and he says that the company has a zero tolerance policy for employees having weapons inside the store.

they have zero tolerance in schools & other places so :hello2:what's wrong with sticking to policy ?

the kid could have been wrong :o

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
they have zero tolerance in schools & other places so :hello2:what's wrong with sticking to policy ?

the kid could have been wrong :o
When the kid saw the guy approaching the manager with a gun in his hand
I think he could safely assume that the gentleman was not collecting Red Cross donations for Christmas .

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
There a couple of ways to look at it.But,If the guy has the guts to pull a gun,Someday he might find the guts to use it.Would you stand there when that just might be that day.Zero tolerance only makes targets.Thats why most shootings happen at zero tolerance locations.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
There a couple of ways to look at it.But,If the guy has the guts to pull a gun,Someday he might find the guts to use it.Would you stand there when that just might be that day.Zero tolerance only makes targets.Thats why most shootings happen at zero tolerance locations.
I hope to never again be placed by fate to have to make that decision . The state of our society today inclines me to stay prepared because the odds are that I will .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread