City Attorney Tells San Bernardino Residents To ‘Lock Their Doors,’ ‘Load Their Guns’

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
City Attorney Tells San Bernardino Residents To ‘Lock Their Doors,’ ‘Load Their Guns’ Because Of Police Downsizing
November 30, 2012 12:43 AM

SAN BERNARDINO (CBSLA.com) — The city attorney of San Bernardino is under scrutiny for telling residents to “lock their doors and load their guns” during a city council meeting.

The official explained that because the city is bankrupt and slashing public safety budgets people will need to start protecting themselves.

City Attorney Jim Penman said he doesn’t regret what he said.

“You should say what you mean and mean what you say,” Penman said.

The city attorney said approximately 150 residents came to a council meeting to voice their concerns about recent crimes in the area, including the murder of an elderly woman last week.

“You could tell the swell of frustration was coming over a lot of folks. They did not feel like they could get an officer out as quickly to some of the quality-of-life issues that they were dealing with as they would have preferred,” said councilwoman Wendy McCommack, who organized the meeting and was present that night.

“Well, if I remember right, I told them to ‘lock their doors and load their guns,’” Penman said.

Penman said the city is dealing with bankruptcy, which has forced officials to cut its police force by about 80 officers. Consequently, there’s been growing criticism about the police department’s response time.

“Let’s be honest, we don’t have enough police officers. We have too many criminals living in this city. We have had 45 murders this year…that’s far too high for a city of this size,” Penman said.

The city attorney said it’s important for people to be smart about protecting themselves and their families.

“I’m not advocating that people go out, who don’t have any training, and buy firearms. I certainly strongly caution anyone who has children at home not to have a loaded gun in the house,” Penman said.

“We need to take our streets back, we need to take our neighborhoods back and we need to protect our homes, and that’s what I think Jim was trying to say,” McCommack said.

The city of San Bernardino has seen a 50 percent increase in murders this year compared to 2011.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The City of San Berdu has cut its workforce by 35% in the last three years in an attempt to stay solvent during this recession. As the city considers bankruptcy, while still providing essential services, what is CalPERS (the state's primary pension manager) doing? On Tuesday, CalPERS filed a motion asking the court to allow it to sue the city to collect the pension funds. The city is expected to respond to the request before the Dec. 21 hearing. I know what my response to CalPERS would be.
Don....

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
The man gave his constituents the best advice he had at hand given the situation he is facing . It boils down to do you want water and garbage pickup or a full police force ? There's not enough money for all three .

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The man gave his constituents the best advice he had at hand given the situation he is facing . It boils down to do you want water and garbage pickup or a full police force ? There's not enough money for all three .

there are many communities that combine Police and fire, they are duel rolls . they just roll with fire protection in the trunk. But I'm sure the unions won't let this happen even if it saved them jobs. It also would solve the problem. After a shooting call the fire service is always on scene first, we don't carry protection so we usally wait for police protection before entering the call (Believe me I'v seen plenty people bleed out before a cop shows up. We usually stand back a block or so until the scene is safe to enter. Always wondered why there are FLACK jackets in the basement of the fire houses? They know something we don't?

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Public safety can't be compromised, no matter what.

Sounds like there's plenty of blame to go around, but no matter what, you have to go forward from here.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Like many cities, San Berdu is caught between an increasing population and decreasing revenues; yet, that population naturally wants their public services to continue as they were. Short of being able to borrow the shortfall, it seems their only other option is to be more austere--and that translates to a reduction in the level of services that can be provided. I don't see 'blame' in this picture, only their reality--and that is tough to face.
Don....

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like many cities, San Berdu is caught between an increasing population and decreasing revenues; yet, that population naturally wants their public services to continue as they were. Short of being able to borrow the shortfall, it seems their only other option is to be more austere--and that translates to a reduction in the level of services that can be provided. I don't see 'blame' in this picture, only their reality--and that is tough to face.
Don....

Oh, I think there's plenty of blame. This government has a history of kiting its budget, that's the tragedy.

I think that the propensity of some to "buy into" less government is better, even if it has to go bankrupt, is bad.

We need government, and it's up to its citizens to determine what level of service they provide, but public safety has to be right up there as a priority.

Any cops want to weigh in here?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's called scare tactics , that all :dontknow:

Mind control to get people to foot the bill for more police or raises

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due to our policy on politics I want say where the money could come from to help fund the shortfall in fire and police protection...Lets just say there are hundreds of millions of dollars wasted in one area that could be put to better use for those kind of services that should never be lost to a budget..........

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It appears we're off the original thread that relates to San Berdu. We've now changed the subject from the government of San Berdo to the US government. The city of San B. is more than a slightly different animal' ; if can neither arbitrarily increase its debt nor can it print money-waste is the US government's byproduct of that process. San Berdu is limited to the concept of supply and demand.
And as Bum Luck mentioned, its up to its citizens to determine what level of service they provide. But what level of services the citizens of San Berdu WANT to provide and what level they CAN provide are always at odds with one another when there are insufficient funds to provide all the WANTS.

I'll stay out of the area of possibly infringing upon the Rules of the Forum as to politics. Suffice to say, I have my own ideas of how the City of San Berdu could provide adequate police protection, but if expressed, I'd only create a 'flame up'.
Don.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears we're off the original thread that relates to San Berdu. We've now changed the subject from the government of San Berdo to the US government. The city of San B. is more than a slightly different animal' ; if can neither arbitrarily increase its debt nor can it print money-waste is the US government's byproduct of that process. San Berdu is limited to the concept of supply and demand.
And as Bum Luck mentioned, its up to its citizens to determine what level of service they provide. But what level of services the citizens of San Berdu WANT to provide and what level they CAN provide are always at odds with one another when there are insufficient funds to provide all the WANTS.

I'll stay out of the area of possibly infringing upon the Rules of the Forum as to politics. Suffice to say, I have my own ideas of how the City of San Berdu could provide adequate police protection, but if expressed, I'd only create a 'flame up'.
Don.....

Mac, I wasn't talking federal, I was talking local state government.....

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, we just got hit with a "random" $150 per year fire protection TAX because we live outside city limits. What are they REALLY going to do with all that money? Send gold plated fire trucks?? Krist, one fire was stopped because my son's property had a fire break that my son plowed. He should get thousands for his efforts. I wonder if we don't have to do firebreaks anymore ??? What we need is public servants that aren't getting lavish pay for what they do and other officials that can actually balance a budget without increasing taxes every time they turn around.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's called scare tactics , that all :dontknow:

Mind control to get people to foot the bill for more police or raises

You can't be serious ............ :dontknow:

....... can you?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, we just got hit with a "random" $150 per year fire protection TAX because we live outside city limits. What are they REALLY going to do with all that money? Send gold plated fire trucks?? Krist, one fire was stopped because my son's property had a fire break that my son plowed. He should get thousands for his efforts. I wonder if we don't have to do firebreaks anymore ??? What we need is public servants that aren't getting lavish pay for what they do and other officials that can actually balance a budget without increasing taxes every time they turn around.
Yep,I had to pay it on a parcel I own litterally 100' from a fire station!!!My land I live on is kept clear by me,at a pretty good yearly expense I might add.So I called Cal-Fire and asked when they were coming to do this "fire Prevention",work(I knew the answer)She said they wouldnt,and they would not be doing anything more than they already do......the money from us will be put in the Gen.Fund,and might get back to Cal-Fire......you and I as you know already pay for fire protection in our Prop tax....double taxation and illegal!!!!!Then the sent me FOUR letters telling me my opposition was denied!!!How much did that cost??

I have a neighbor that is retired from Cal-Fire,and is still making over $100,000,a year with full benefits!!!!That is rediculous!We are not getting anything from this guy....and seeins how he is obeise I doubt we ever did!!!

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I visit my daughter who lives in Canada frequently, so at the border crossing they KNOW who I am by the time I pull up to speak to the officer in charge. (Like 10 pictures with their cameras! Egads!) Here is a typical conversation -Where are you from? NY, NY. What is the purpose of your visit to Canada? visit daughter How long are you staying? till Monday Are you bringing ANY ALCOHOL, TOBACCO OR FIREARMS? Answer: no. Are you bringing any weapons? answer: no. So she asks: Well what would you do if you found yourself in a bad situation? So I paused for a second and said SEE THIS CAR (patting the car on the door), it weighs 2500 pounds! So she said "Have a nice stay!" And off I went! BTW- when you get back to the US, it's "Where are your from?", answer NY NY. How long were you in Canada? (like they didn't already know), answer 4 days. and the piece de la resistance "ARE YOU BRINGING BACK ANY FRUITS OR VEGETABLES?????????' You've got to be kidding.

Police do not really prevent crimes, they do paperwork over the messes that are left over.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at your cell phone bill Ours have a 75cent cost for fire and police protection. Yet if you ask them where's the money gone to you get no answer. We are still closing fire house's and we have lost 150 positions We all know were the $$$ go to, yet we must be quite about it.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
We all know were the $$$ go to, yet we must be quite about it.

Dont be quite about it.Thats the whole problem.Start pushing and when they dont like it,push even harder.The more you submit to the more thats going to be tried.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at your cell phone bill Ours have a 75cent cost for fire and police protection.

That's for 911, not for fire and police protection. Seriously, how much fire and police protection do you think you can get for 75 cents a month?

The money goes to AT&T for the 911 database.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread