paperback books relics of the past

OP
OP
SpiritRelic

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Is there a scanning device developed yet that you put it over the page of the book and copy,store the book.If not it woold be one hell of a idea.People that have books that they really love could copy there books to a digital storage device.Then when the next natural disaster strikes and the paper books get destroyed you might still have them because you remembered to put them in a zip lock bag on the top shelf.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Sure, almost any multipurpose copier will scan them into your computer or other storage device. The problem is the same thing that destroyed your books( fire, bomb, etc) would probably destroy the digital copies. There is also the problem of changing digital systems. Say you had saved all your books in the old 8" floppy DOS of the CPM system. There is no way you could retrive them today. Frank

Attachments

• 111-1 profile.jpg
    111-1 profile.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 66

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes they change things almost every year.

Look at 2G - 3G - 4G & next year there will be 5G

& what happens if some nut drops a bomb.

Does Electric work ? batteries ? for how long ?

at least when the sun is up you can read a book
if temps didn't incinerate them all.

& Better chance thick Books will survive and Plastic will melt (Deform)

Last edited:
OP
OP
SpiritRelic

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Well i guess you guys are right.But like there is this book that just came out that i want and it is only on digital book format,and this is what had me wondering.Will this happen?But you are right, i have asked others in the past,before the readers even came out.I had thought about this with standard computers.But i would be talking this subject about if books were replaced by electronic methods on the computer and people got upset.How they like to hold a book,The smell of books,what they do with the pages,store there books etc..They really get pissed over this topic.Just for fun.When you are with your spouse or friend that likes books and tell them how you heard that paper books are going out because of the electronic formatted books.And watch how upset they become.Alot of people hold this personal love of books that is really deep.Even if they don't read them anymore.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i guess you guys are right.But like there is this book that just came out that i want and it is only on digital book format,and this is what had me wondering.Will this happen?But you are right, i have asked others in the past,before the readers even came out.I had thought about this with standard computers.But i would be talking this subject about if books were replaced by electronic methods on the computer and people got upset.How they like to hold a book,The smell of books,what they do with the pages,store there books etc..They really get pissed over this topic.Just for fun.When you are with your spouse or friend that likes books and tell them how you heard that paper books are going out because of the electronic formatted books.And watch how upset they become.Alot of people hold this personal love of books that is really deep.Even if they don't read them anymore.

I do believe the computer industry would love to become the sole source for reading material.
but I would hope there are allot out there that won't go without allot of kicking & screaming.

However just like some could never go back to reading by candle light, me included,
I could see maybe 4 , 5 generations from now someone wondering why books :dontknow:

I'm sure they will be out of all schools by then, except in the libraries of course,
unless they find a way to Mass download books without paging through each one by hand,
and give 10,000 people jobs at these machines just sitting around feeding books
in.

Last edited:

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bad idea, ever trying swatting a fly with a nook?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
This idea of retiring books has come up before in other ways. There was a co called University Microfilms that attempted to microfilm every book ever written in the English language. The 35MM film rolls could then be placed on a Xerox 11" copyflow which used large 11" rolls of paper and had an automatic cutter. It would print out the book, when needed. I don't know how far they got. The problem is technology changes so rapidly that you can't store info forever. Even digital info is subject to computer language and program changes. I am beginning to think the printed book will outlast them all. Frank

cube700.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread