Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Red James cash said:
theyre probably trying to get rid of overstock:laughing9:get what you want,not what somebody suggests lol

Ha you're probably right! Luckily my husband researches everything well so between the combo of what I like,he likes, and what he finds out about all the nuances we'll find the right ones for our needs. I'm really looking forward to practicing once I find the right gun.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your life wont depend on anybody saying anything,your life will be whats in your hand when threatened.

Not concerned at all..........

You want to c
arry the largest caliber that you will carry consistently, if it is a .22, 38 special, 9mm, 40 or a 45, carry that!
The point is to have it with you, not left at home because it was too heavy to carry just to go to the local store for bread...Murphys law is your going to need it the one time you choose not to carry it...

I am not saying a 9mm has greater stopping power than a .45, but there are people who have been shot with a .45 and were hardly fazed and there are many who have been shot with 9mm and their heart beat lasted less than half second afterwards... You only going to pull it when you have to use it to save your life or the life of someone else and very few people continue to come at you with a bullet in the forehead....

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check out the shell shop in hopkinsvile ky 45 min from nashville and talk to sandy he can hook you up and the have a indoor range

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Not concerned at all..........

You want to c
arry the largest caliber that you will carry consistently, if it is a .22, 38 special, 9mm, 40 or a 45, carry that!
The point is to have it with you, not left at home because it was too heavy to carry just to go to the local store for bread...Murphys law is your going to need it the one time you choose not to carry it...

I am not saying a 9mm has greater stopping power than a .45, but there are people who have been shot with a .45 and were hardly fazed and there are many who have been shot with 9mm and their heart beat lasted less than half second afterwards... You only going to pull it when you have to use it to save your life or the life of someone else and very few people continue to come at you with a bullet in the forehead....

Always shoot for the head,common sense,for those that know how to handle a firearm!

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Ha you're probably right! Luckily my husband researches everything well so between the combo of what I like,he likes, and what he finds out about all the nuances we'll find the right ones for our needs. I'm really looking forward to practicing once I find the right gun.

Go nuts coilygirl,When i lived in NH i did.There wasnt a day gone by when i didnt fire off 100 rounds a day everyday 13 years time.Most days 500 rounds.I would get up go to work,come home and target shoot.Pistol,rifle shotgun everyday.You would be amazed at the skill you can acquire.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Dont worry TH im not putting you down.Im just saying i will not trust a 9mm.I never owned one and i never will.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
World Talker you a right on that on who gives a that's ass just as long as it gets the job done but I still want to feel comfortable with what I decide to buy.I won't be packing heat most likely but want something for home protection. I shouldn't care what caliper though,just so it gets the job done and is also a good gun to target shoot for hobby sake. We have a range here that seems pretty knowledgeable so I think we'll most likely buy it here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
We have a range here that seems pretty knowledgeable somI think we'll most likely buy it here.

That was the good part of where i lived in NH.I was in my shooting range just stepping out the door.lol

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Red James cash said:
That was the good part of where i lived in NH.I was in my shooting range just stepping out the door.lol

That's good because I don't want to just do the class and feel empowered for just a short bit,I would like to go fairly often if I decide I like it enough and to keep feeling confident.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If what you want is strictly for home defense a handgun isnt it.A 12 or 20 gauge pump is it.Considering the ranges that you'll be shooting at a handgun wont cut it.You have to consider bullet penetration,as in who is in the next room.A 12 or 20 gauge shotgun loaded with bbshot or goose shot is devastating at close range(15 to 20 feet).you'll have no idea until you see the hole it puts into a target from that range.Just racking a round into the chamber has a very great psychological impact on an intruder,they know whats coming.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Gal , What works for you is what is comfortable to you . That and practice,PRACTICE , practice . Bigger is not better if it bothers you to shoot it .
I would rethink that idea of home defense only . As TH said , odds are that you need it most when you don't have it on you .
I've lost count of the number of deer , mature hogs , and beef animals that I have dropped with one shot each with a lowly .22 .
Punching paper targets or dispatching an animal for butchering is quite different from personal defense .
When you pick up an arm to counter the threat of a human aggressor you have to be WILLING to take that person's life when you fire and you have to be WILLING to keep firing AIMED shots at that aggressor until the threat is neutralized . Wounds or threats of wounds don't impress dedicated criminals much .........They've been wounded before .
>Massad Ayoob has an 8 part series on YouTube that you should watch . He explains things much better than I can .
Jim

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Is THAT by state laws of "self-defense" or FED-laws? Be good to take your local Citizens Police Academy; NEAT video gun range...

Gunny71

Jan 14, 2009
Texas by Gawd
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always shoot for the head,common sense,for those that know how to handle a firearm!
Gotta disagree with you there. All training and instruction I have received say to shoot for center of mass. The human head is a small target, and can be hard to hit with a pistol under duress.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Gotta disagree with you there. All training and instruction I have received say to shoot for center of mass. The human head is a small target, and can be hard to hit with a pistol under duress.

Agree with Gunny71; it was MY training, too...

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
i believe Russian spetznaz SF only ever trained with and carried .22 pistols. The reason being "If you can't kill someone with one of these then you're not good enough for SF!"
Head shots were "obligatory"!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Chicago style murders.....kind of like what someone else from Chicago is doing to the constitution!!!!!!
I have a friend who lives near Chicago, in one of the burbs. He said he is going out to buy his first gun this week. He said there were about 14 murders this week in Chicago, and it's getting worse.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread