Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Folks, Ethics of martial arts.....

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Cat teaches man, not everything here serves him.

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
    6823 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Cat stance...that is the best defensive position (I was taught.) Core of body in line, root strong. Deflect or counter any attack......... They would get upset at my cat stance...lol, patience, I waited for them.
    Sounds like something I know.
    No martial arts training though, most lessons came from an old Marine, a young Rabbi, and a very intelligent attorney.
    bill from lachine likes this.
    Yesterday is history, tomorow a mystery. All we have is the here and now, it's a special gift. That's why we call it "The Present"

Pity the poor agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/patharp?ref=si_shop

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    12827 times
    Metal Detecting
    they are the only parts I care about

us
    Moving forward! "WP"

Jun 2011
    Mid Coast Maine
    Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
    6650 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Sorry, I know this is in bad taste.....but it should give you all some laughs!

Restore Freedom and get us out of the UNITED NATIONS NOW!!!!!!
    NOT a member of the recipient class...
    plp1.org

Jun 2007
    13695 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-gordon View Post
    they are the only parts I care about
    LOL! YEP!

us
    Son of Eagles

Mar 2010
    Minnesota
    Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab SE PRO, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250
    452 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I'm a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and I've placed in national tournaments in sparring. I wouldn't poke fun at any form of martial art but I will say that Tai Chi is not a very practical way to defend yourself. I grew up fighting and getting into a lot of trouble because of it but I've only been in one fight after starting TKD... It taught me to smile and walk away. I miss it a lot and still think about it often. If I was still in better shape I would definitely start taking Jiu Jitsu. I wish I would have known what it was back in 1989.

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    12827 times
    Metal Detecting
    wondering if amoeba woman is a superhero?

ca
    Oct 2011
    Quebec
    33470 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    WIT,

Yeah....it's kind of funny but I was in my early 40's when I took up T'ai Chi and since I had done kung fu when I was younger....I took it for the exercise and relaxation more than for the martial arts application.

When I asked my master Mr Hum the difference between soft martial arts versus hard martial arts here's his explanation.

"Picture hard martial arts like this....your exterior shell/body is an iron barrier capable of breaking bricks, boards, etc..."

"Soft martial arts....your inner core/body is iron....exterior body is wrapped in cotton"

He said push comes to shove with the same level of training the soft martial artist will win out 9 times out of 10.

It's the whole Asian mindset that takes awhile to get it....versus the western way of thinking....

The soft arts don't fight force with force.....it deflects the force and turns that force/strength against the attacker....food for thought.

Regards + HH

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by WIT View Post
    I'm a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and I've placed in national tournaments in sparring. I wouldn't poke fun at any form of martial art but I will say that Tai Chi is not a very practical way to defend yourself. I grew up fighting and getting into a lot of trouble because of it but I've only been in one fight after starting TKD... It taught me to smile and walk away. I miss it a lot and still think about it often. If I was still in better shape I would definitely start taking Jiu Jitsu. I wish I would have known what it was back in 1989.

Jun 2007
    13695 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bill from lachine View Post
    WIT,

Yeah....it's kind of funny but I was in my early 40's when I took up T'ai Chi and since I had done kung fu when I was younger....I took it for the exercise and relaxation more than for the martial arts application.

When I asked my master Mr Hum the difference between soft martial arts versus hard martial arts here's his explanation.

"Picture hard martial arts like this....your exterior shell/body is an iron barrier capable of breaking bricks, boards, etc..."

"Soft martial arts....your inner core/body is iron....exterior body is wrapped in cotton"

He said push comes to shove with the same level of training the soft martial artist will win out 9 times out of 10.

It's the whole Asian mindset that takes awhile to get it....versus the western way of thinking....

The soft arts don't fight force with force.....it deflects the force and turns that force/strength against the attacker....food for thought.

Regards + HH

Bill
    Yeah, what I learned as Admin. at Max. Security Prison, at the Academy; the trainer (Captain) had a room there at the Academy, with Chinese swords on his walls, a Shrine, with "pics" of Chinese Masters, incense... the "WHOLE NINE YARDS". I worked with the energies (Qi/Chi), and learned confidence, having "FIRM" MINDFULNESS, having NO FEAR; be ready to die... BUT! There is NO death; your Transformed body can be MORE destructive (after death, if you are MINDFUL of your POWERS... there are NO limits). WOE to him/her who "kills" a "MINDFUL ONE".
    Last edited by Rebel - KGC; Feb 11, 2013 at 08:37 PM.

ca
    Oct 2011
    Quebec
    33470 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Folks,

For those who are interested his a video of the Shoalin kung fu...pretty impressive.

Charter Member
    us
    Cat teaches man, not everything here serves him.

Feb 2011
    S. Fl.
    Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
    6823 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-gordon View Post
    wondering if amoeba woman is a superhero?
    Well, I don't know about THAT, but,
    she is a legend in her own mind!
    Which I guess is better than the Zane Brothers slogan.
    Hong Kong Phooey to all!

eta: ok I really can't help myself now.......

Last edited by pat-tekker-cat; Feb 11, 2013 at 09:03 PM.
    Yesterday is history, tomorow a mystery. All we have is the here and now, it's a special gift. That's why we call it "The Present"

Pity the poor agnostic dyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/patharp?ref=si_shop

Feb 2013
    2 times
    As a high school kid I studied Chinese Kung Fu Kenpo. Very disciplined open handed style.

Now my son is in 8th grade and just achieved his purple belt....and is studying under my old Sifu. How time flies! Pretty sure he could take me lol

Nice thread.

us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    1045 times
    Worldwide there are over 200 forms of martial arts

My question

Can any of them stop a bullet from a semi automatic weapon at 5-10 yards

If so, this is the style for me

ca
    Oct 2011
    Quebec
    33470 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Spart,

Some of the grand masters have reflexes so fast they've been known to deflect bullets using their bare hands...mind you
    this is someone who's been doing it for 50 years or so....not many ever get to that level.

Regards + HH

Bill

us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    1045 times
    Only 50 years eh, well it's song time

ca
    Oct 2011
    Quebec
    33470 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Spart,

Good choice of music.....I always preferred their older grittier R+B songs.

Regards + HH

Bill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links