What ever happened to Chain Gangs?

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have em here as cleanup crews for roadside but they arent chain gangs. Maybe bring that back and go back to you have no rghts as a prisoner then maybe we would have less of them in jail or repeat offenders.

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My ex-Brother in-law's Brother in-law went to prison for DUI or crack or something and spent a whole summer..came out and one night at a family barbeque was telling me that he thought about suing the prison because he thought he had pneumonia from sleeping under the AC vent and they kept it so cold inside. I was doing flooring back then. That summer was one of the hottest on record for De. You can't kick carpet with the AC on, our work truck didn't have any, and the house unit went up and since it was a warranty I had to wait until they could get a replacement which would come in Sept.... If I'd had two more drinks I'd have gone to prison for punching him right in the mouth. Prison is only a prison for men who feel shame and guilt. For career criminals it is a chance to catch up and get out of the winter cold or summer heat. Prisons have become part of the benefits package of a welfare nation. Some want it, some don't; but at the rate we are going down this path eventually everyone is going to get a taste of it one way or another.

S

stefen

I'm of the impression that the southern states combined outlawed RayBan glasses as a part of the Sheriff's dress code, so as a result, chain gangs were abolished.

No more need to have pot-bellied, strutting, cigar chewing, fuzz-headed, bada$$ sheriffs running roughshod over the innocent poster boys of the crime world...this typical image only became fodder for the liberals and movie mogols.

You aren't buying that crap, are ya? :laughing7:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I'm of the impression that the southern states combined outlawed RayBan glasses as a part of the Sheriff's dress code, so as a result, chain gangs were abolished.

No more need to have pot-bellied, strutting, cigar chewing, fuzz-headed, bada$$ sheriffs running roughshod over the innocent poster boys of the crime world...this typical image only became fodder for the liberals and movie mogols.

You aren't buying that crap, are ya? :laughing7:

LOL! I DID enjoy PORKY 1 & 2, Smoky & the Bandit 1-8, tho... (CAR WARS).

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Really? He ignored child rape cases to pursue fraud cases. He consistently ignored cases where the benefit to the people was greater than the benefit to the state. As a rape crime carries a heavy sentence, and little in fines, is harder to investigate and prove. But a fraud case pays hefty fines, usually has a paper trail and plenty of evidence. His loyalty is clear. It is to the State, and not to the people. His bigotry far outweighs his sense of justice. I can understand the people's worries about security against a rising tide of illegals, but people have to be careful against the ones they choose to lead the charge. Case in point, Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Party.
If more men in LE take after him, then civil war will follow soon after. And rightly so. His brand of justice is tyranny.

I love the like buttons here at Tnet, but we REALLY REALLY REALLY need a DISLIKE button for posts like this one, IMHO.

The only folks who have an axe to grind with Sheriff Jo should be his former "guests". The important question is:

What kind of VIOLENT CRIME RATE does Sheriff Joe have, and what kind of violent crime rate is there in Delaware . . . anyone know? I haven't the time right now to investigate.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
They still have them in Ochopee Florida working the sides of the road. They keep bugging me for cigarettes or joints but I dont smoke and I wont talk to them. They also have an armed guard.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There ya gone & Done it !

Got me Thinking of Blazing Saddles - Camptown Ladies

"I get no kick, from champagne"

Last edited:

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the like buttons here at Tnet, but we REALLY REALLY REALLY need a DISLIKE button for posts like this one, IMHO.

The only folks who have an axe to grind with Sheriff Jo should be his former "guests". The important question is:

What kind of VIOLENT CRIME RATE does Sheriff Joe have, and what kind of violent crime rate is there in Delaware . . . anyone know? I haven't the time right now to investigate.

I have an axe to grind with any fat cat bureaucrat that oversteps their authority in order to push a personal agenda. I also have an especially LARGE axe to grind with LEO's who subvert the Constitution and instead follow a course that has nothing to do with serving the public interest or protecting the citizens so much as it serves their personal political agendas and reelection campaigns. As for violent crime in my state. We have a higher rate as citizens are more apt to report spousal abuse and rape. Because here, unlike there, something will be done about it. Which is why it is funny Your pal Joe has a Corporate/property crime rate 3.5 times NATIONAL average. Since Nationally those crimes are in decline. Maybe you should put on your badge and go investigate that. It's out of my jurisdiction.
In my state we use the Constitution for something better than polishing boots. How do they do it in Arkansas? Cause Sheriff Joe would be out of a job and well on his way to prison in Delaware.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Pretenders had a song called "Chain Gang".

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last chaingang I saw was in Huntsville ,TX.,cleaning up the state park,they had several guys all chained together in orange jumpsuits, several police officers on horseback and several on foot,that was back in the 1990's

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Pretenders had a song called "Chain Gang".

actually it's a Sam Cooke Song if it's the same one,
I'll need to look

ooops no different Songs Pretenders was "Back on the Chain gang"

sam's

Last edited:

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They use prison crews to clean roads in my state. Years ago they used to advertise they'd be on a given road on a certain date...just in case you wanted to lock your doors I guess. But people would load up all their trash and go dump it the night before. Free dump fees, courtesy of the state.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you just see one in Chi town it would stretch for miles.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
They used to come by and use the outside bathroom where I work. Bathroom break and them back to prison.

They are always looking, hoping you will throw something to them like cigarettes.

I belive chain gangs are reserved for small time prisoners that are not a danger to society like under 2 years.

Last edited:

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like i said earlier they use them in cook county. Orange jump suits sheriff busses with bars and armed sheriff guards. They pick up garbage but i do not think they chain them together.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they still do here in Texas they have them cleaning trash on the side of the road and patching the roads.they don't wear chains but they have the orange and white striped jail clothing on.saw them working at the animal shelter to when i went to adopt my dog.

yea same here in PA woody.
no chains to prevent them from doing their work properly.
I haven't seen all in jumpers,
some have been in street clothes,
they seem to do good work where they send them :thumbsup:

the police don't threaten them with rifles or clubs.

they just Drop them off, Pick them up later.
both sides seem to respect each other.

usually see them Preparing local Swimming pools for spring,
cleaning parks & road sides , Etc.
along the interstates they have their guards in their vehicles,
to slow traffic of course.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread