Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the deal with the 6 dollars per day that the court pays you for Jury Duty, Or testifying.

Is this just an odd hold over to when 6 dollars was a fair days wage?

It seems like an insult, "sit on these hard benches" , " pee when we tell you" , " No Smoking" , "No cell phones" Here's your 6 bucks.....if we could pay you less we would.

I mean it's the government....it seems we should serve for free, as our duty as citizens.....but they are giving us 6 dollars for a full day of our life, when their own law states minimum HOURLY wage is more than 6 bucks.

So.....why the 6 bucks?
:icon_scratch:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Would you rather jury duty be contracted out (privatized)? Then we can pay any 'ol person any 'ol amount of money to decide our fates!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So.....why the 6 bucks?:icon_scratch:

It's carfare :laughing7:

P.S. Jerseyben, I'm pushing for that, and thought thought Judge Roy Bean was something. He had a reputation made up of nothing. Condemned two men to hang. Out of the two, one got away. :laughing7: No one gets away from me :tongue3:

Besides, with me as a juror, you always have a good chance to get off. I only vote after I consult the Magic 8 Ball

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is the deal with the 6 dollars per day that the court pays you for Jury Duty, Or testifying.

Is this just an odd hold over to when 6 dollars was a fair days wage?

It seems like an insult, "sit on these hard benches" , " pee when we tell you" , " No Smoking" , "No cell phones" Here's your 6 bucks.....if we could pay you less we would.

I mean it's the government....it seems we should serve for free, as our duty as citizens.....but they are giving us 6 dollars for a full day of our life, when their own law states minimum HOURLY wage is more than 6 bucks.

So.....why the 6 bucks?
:icon_scratch:
I agree. I've never understood why we pay the judges, attorneys, etc huge money for their day in court, and the people forced to be there, often making life/death decisions, are paid a pittance. Idaho just raised the pay to $50/full day, $25 for half, or shorter day. It costs me about $6.00 to drive to town and back. Some parts of the county are out more than 40 miles...those would cost much more to drive in and back.
Jim

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Back when I was gainfully employed and not on the government dole getting social security that I paid into, but now am getting through the benevolence of our government, the company I worked for paid our wage for the day, less the $6. I thought that was mighty nice of them.

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Back when I was gainfully employed and not on the government dole getting social security that I paid into, but now am getting through the benevolence of our government, the company I worked for paid our wage for the day, less the $6. I thought that was mighty nice of them.
That was decent, for sure. Not many would do that today, especially with the economy like it is.
Jim

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Here the state makes your employer pay you 50 bucks if you get called for jury duty.Better than 6 bucks,but you only get the 50 bucks once even if your picked for duty i believe.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you got paid more it would mean higher taxes. you are paying yourself actually

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if you got paid more it would mean higher taxes. you are paying yourself actually
Lol...so we should cut all the government employees pay...that would lower our taxes, right?
Jim

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol...so we should cut all the government employees pay...that would lower our taxes, right?
Jim

How about the law makers pay? They are about to furlough me as a Gov't employee and I work hard for a living at a dangerous job. Nancy pulosi stated something to the fact that congress wouldn't take a pay cut because it would deminish the integrity of the lawmakers job. I am going to have to hit the motherload while detecting to help pay the bills! Not all Gov't employees are overpaid lazy POS but like everywhere, you have your few.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread