Whats your take on leaving a tip

Cl1983

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tip whenever I'm out to any industry that is allowed to take tips. But I think a lot of that comes from me working a job that probably 60% or more of my income is based on how much I can charm guests into liking me. I probably overtip but I don't mind when that happens to me

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tip very well at restaurants. I mainly frequent this one place and they like to see me come back. That's a really hard job. I do not tip the yard guy.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Waiter or waitress, i tip better for good service. Mind you i cooked for a living and expect good service and food. There is poor both out there.
Exceptional service i let them know and on occasion tip cooks. If i have to train waitstaff (ladies first,see if a refill needed on coffee on occasion) shame on management but i am discreet about it. Have tipped gunsmith when i knew he was shorting himself. Service people out to house have been tipped now and then.

Cl1983

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I deal cards for a living and I never thought to tip out cooks and other people like that. Ill remember in cases of a good meal

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take a few things into consideration before leaving a tip.The hygeine of the waiter/waitress.The overall service and how well they tend my table,I almost always leave 16 percent of my order total if the service is decent but i have seen times that waiters/waitresses blatantly ignore me because there are more ppl at another table and they are expecting a better tip from a group. It all depends on how well they perform there job duties.I understand slow service on a busy day and will tip accordingly but i refuse to pay more than half there hourly wage of 2.10 if they just blow me off. If you are just lazy and dont take the initiative to try and perform your job to the best of your ability,dont expect me to give you money ive earned from working my arse off at my own job.I refuse to pay ppl for being lazy!

HH John

Delpirt

Feb 19, 2013
Portland Oregon
Detector(s) used
Cheapo Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's someplace I go to frequently I tip well. It pays off later in better service from the place. Staff remember your name, give you deals etc. If it's someplace I don't go to often I usually tip 15% unless the service was crap. In which case my tip will reflect that.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
It depends...

A lot of places pool tips and then equally divide them. That makes me mad.

If I get crappy service, my waitperson splits the tips of the hard workers and more deserving people. So, where I know the server actually keeps the specific tip, I tend to tip better for better service.

For places that pool, I tend to be cheaper.

If I get a good haircut, and the person was generally a decent worker and actually cared how my hair turned out- a better tip.

I've had to get up and get my own condiments from a different table, go to the waitress station and get my own extra napkins and so on- that usually happens where they pool tips.

To Insure Promptness

Cl1983

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's one huge factor I also take into account. But it's mostly when gambling but also applies in food and wherever places, if I know the server/dealer I tip a bit better if I know things about them. If they remember my name I usually leave better amounts or if they are pregnant or going through a rough time and I'm having a good couple of weeks at work I usually leave a little more, sometimes if I have bad service I at least find why like maybe a table full of rude customers who demand all the persons attention, I don't hold that against the server

Skinsfan

Feb 14, 2013
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Garret Pro Pointer
Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: What's your take on leaving a tip

I tip very well for good service. There is no.."automatically get 15%". If the service sucks so does the tip.

If the service is good, so is the tip. It can be really good.

Don't punish the server for crappy kitchen or food, but their fault.

If any server is reading this, do everyone a favor. DON'T TRY TO IMPRESS US WITH NOT WRITING DOWN THE ORDER. It is screwed up every time you don't write it down..

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 using Tapatalk

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I deal cards for a living and I never thought to tip out cooks and other people like that. Ill remember in cases of a good meal

When a waiter/waitress is striving to do it right,even when cook staff has orders as arrived can with their help work it right.
Even busy,the most annoying (and best) would holler,there all most done with their salads and knowing who's order and say steaks last ,if not on yet the choice was toss them on or let that table wait. can be done with multiple orders no problem with rhythm established. I liked offers from them when they were tipped well but declined unless table specified. Quality food,presentation, in a timely manner with good service in a clean setting should be a minimum.
Those great people are worth stealing. A manager used to do just that on occasion.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always tip very well. Service industry jobs are extremely difficult and you have to deal with a lot of a holes. I had a girlfriend in college who waitressed and its a very very tough job.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Where do they only get $2.10 per hour. In Oregon minimum wage is over $8. I tip according to service, usually that means keep my coffee cup full.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where do they only get $2.10 per hour. In Oregon minimum wage is over $8. I tip according to service, usually that means keep my coffee cup full.

Waiters/waitresses and some others that get tips are often not eligible for minimum wage.

Delpirt

Feb 19, 2013
Portland Oregon
Detector(s) used
Cheapo Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Some places can count the average amount of tips earned towards the employees minimum wage. Not so here in Oregon.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I give around 20 percent across the board. I tend to give more at strip clubs!:tongue3:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So long as I'm getting the service I appreciate, it ranges from mostly from 20-25% and have gone as high as 33%

OP
OP
O

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Have to ask my wife is this the right tip? Twice I have left a Benjamen mixed in with dollars? Something we laugh about now. And I wear glasses.:dontknow: At least I made a couple of people happy.:laughing7:

Cl1983

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its an unusual amount I always ask if someone is sure now. Nothing worse than putting a $25 chip in my tip box (that's locked) and the person wanted change to give me like $5-10... But I've also had odd tips like someone on roulette came up played a $100 chip on one spot, won and then tossed it to me and walked off... I make under state min wage so it helps

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread