Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Jan 2007
    Mount Orab, Ohio
    Teknetics Gamma 6000, Tesoro Bandido ll and Compadre, White's Classic ll, Garrett Ace 250
    14 times
    Metal Detecting

Pocket Scale Symbols.....Need help !

I have a Pocket Scale that displays the following symbols when the MODE key is used: g,oz,gn,dwt,ozt,ct. I know what these mean, but there is another symbol d under the display screen that is used like this: d = 0.1g

What does the d stand for ? The scale instructions don't say and it couldn't be for pennyweight, because that symbol is already addressed in the MODE selections as dwt.

Thanks for the help !

ToddB64
    Teknetics Gamma 6000,Tesoro Bandido 2 µMax and Compadre,White's Classic 11,Garrett Ace 250, Treasure Products Vibra-Probe 570, Cen-Tech Pinpointer, Lesche Digger, Arkie Tabdog Hand Digger Replica, Detect USA RatphonesMax, Janster Coin Probe.

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    Massachusetts
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    4627 times
    The Truth
    dwt= pennyweight
    YOU KNOW MY STANCE,LIVE FREE OR DIE

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.”

Charter Member
    us
    WolfPack member

Aug 2009
    Massachusetts
    Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
    4627 times
    The Truth
    maybe d= decagram or d=decigram
    YOU KNOW MY STANCE,LIVE FREE OR DIE

“A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.”

us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    273 times
    Prospecting
    Small d is deci or tenth. If da would be dika or ten. I have a book on units of measurements and I think it's amazing how many there are. Some rarely used except in specific industries. Like a hogshead (hhd) = 63 gallons or does anyone remember how long a rod is.(16.5 feet/5.0292 m.
    Interesting reading if your giving to such things.
    Chop wood..Carry water

us
    Jan 2007
    Mount Orab, Ohio
    Teknetics Gamma 6000, Tesoro Bandido ll and Compadre, White's Classic ll, Garrett Ace 250
    14 times
    Metal Detecting
    Red James Cash,

Thanks, but as I indicated in my post, I know what these: g,oz,gn,dwt,ozt,ct mean.

I'm asking what the d means.

Any idea ?

Todd
    Teknetics Gamma 6000,Tesoro Bandido 2 µMax and Compadre,White's Classic 11,Garrett Ace 250, Treasure Products Vibra-Probe 570, Cen-Tech Pinpointer, Lesche Digger, Arkie Tabdog Hand Digger Replica, Detect USA RatphonesMax, Janster Coin Probe.

us
    Dec 2008
    austin,texas
    Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer
    371 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    maybe it means -diamond weight?

us
    Dec 2008
    austin,texas
    Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer
    371 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Decided to look it up in the Random House dictionary& dwt means penny weight(s) ,but d.w.t. means deadweight tonnage.

us
    Jan 2007
    Mount Orab, Ohio
    14 times
    Metal Detecting

Thanks everybody for your replies !

As mentioned in my thread starter, "What does the d stand for ? The scale instructions don't say."

So in the meantime, I've been doing more searching on the internet for a definition of the d symbol. Remember, the definition must be in context with the d used on electronic pocket scales, as it could mean something else on a different application.

Finally, I gave up on the internet after trying 6 or 8 search phrases and getting nada and called the company that made my pocket scale and discussed with them. They said the symbol d stands for resolution. Coming from a background in the metal working industry, I knew that a manufacturing tolerance was needed, so ask about this and was told + or - 0.1g.

So that answers my question !

ToddB64
    Last edited by ToddB64; Mar 25, 2013 at 07:41 PM.

us
    I deal in reality

Mar 2010
    Maryland
    XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
    2110 times
    Some scales '0' with an object on the scale. Say you have a vial that holds gold. You could put it on the scale and '0' out it's weight, then fill it and just weigh the contents. Maybe that has something to do with it also. Frank...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	111-1 profilecracked.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	718.5 KB 
ID:	765994

us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    273 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB64 View Post
    Thanks everybody for your replies !

As mentioned in my thread starter, "What does the d stand for ? The scale instructions don't say."

So in the meantime, I've been doing more searching on the internet for a definition of the d symbol. Remember, the definition must be in context with the d used on electronic pocket scales, as it could mean something else on a different application.

Finally, I gave up on the internet after trying 6 or 8 search phrases and getting nada and called the company that made my pocket scale and discussed with them. They said the symbol d stands for resolution. Coming from a background in the metal working industry, I knew that a manufacturing tolerance was needed, so ask about this and was told + or - 0.1g.

So that answers my question !

ToddB64
    Didn't you bother to read post #4
    Chop wood..Carry water

us
    Jan 2007
    Mount Orab, Ohio
    14 times
    Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Didn't you bother to read post #4

Hvacker,

Sorry I'm so late replying. When I first read your post #4 weeks ago, it didn't dawn on me at the time what you were getting at.

Well, I decided to get on T'Net tonight and saw your above reply, so I re-read your original reply (pasted below), gave it more thought and made a connection !

Small d is deci or tenth. If da would be dika or ten. I have a book on units of measurements and I think it's amazing how many there are. Some rarely used except in specific industries. Like a hogshead (hhd) = 63 gallons or does anyone remember how long a rod is.(16.5 feet/5.0292 m.
    Interesting reading if your giving to such things.

I'm not certain about this, but perhaps you were giving me a subtle hint of resolution, by using the example of ten divided into finer divisions of tenths. An analogy would be the resolution of a TV screen being described in pixels per square inch of screen size (height x width). Depending on the resolution, each square inch of the screen would be composed of a certain number of pixels.

Anyway, thanks for your help !

Todd
    Last edited by ToddB64; Apr 20, 2013 at 12:01 AM.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors