Idiot mentality

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
2 packs a day for 40 years..................nahhhhhhhhhhh...............NEVER gonna hurt me.
That's how I've been thinking for years, I guess. Lightning will NEVER strike me.......right?...................wrong.
Been in the hospital since 12/28 with pneumonia, an artery ready to blow, and COPD. ALL SMOKE RELATED!!! :( :( Home now, hooked up to oxygen 24/7. Feel better, but this sucks. Still want a damn cigarette.....but won't do it........

Have resolved on many a New Years' to quit smoking. Never succeeded. Guess 2007 will be the year!
Soooooooooooooo glad 2006 is over................BAD-BAD year here :(

Wishing all you smokers success this year :)

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Hang in there Ashleen! I know I need to quit but always have the excuse of problems here, stress there. Guess I ought to spend some of the clad finds on the Patch or gum.

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
Sorry to hear about your health woes, Ashleen. You can quit smoking!!! I smoked for more than 30 years and I quit. This year, October 1, 2007, will be 4 years!! It is hard for quite awhile. Drink alot of water, it will taste very good.

Get Well Soon.

DM

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ashleen....hope you feel better....always amazes me how we know its bad for us, know it may kill us...yet we still smoke and love it....crazy!!! At least you're not one of those that are blaming the cigarette companies...any health issue we get related to smoking is only one persons fault...ours.
I remember saying I was gonna quit when it hit a dollar a pack...am still smoking now...my 3 year old daughter is starting to get after me about it...have proved I can't quit for myself..never really wanted to....but for my son and daughter....they may just be the ones that will make be smarten up and do it...and if my head wasn;t up my butt (no pun intended) I would have already quit.
Hoping for a wonderful 2007 for you...smoke free...:) Its gonna be tough, but you can do it!!!!!!!!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear you have been so ill, Ashleen! :'( I do hope you feel much better!!!

Take care......... Nana :)

T

TreasureTales

stoney56 said:
Hang in there Ashleen! I know I need to quit but always have the excuse of problems here, stress there. Guess I ought to spend some of the clad finds on the Patch or gum.

Kick the habit dammit. I wanna buy you a cup of coffee (or whatever you like) some day. Can't do that if you're breathing through straw via a hole in your neck. C'mon TNetters, you gotta get rid of those cancer sticks.

Ashleen, sorry you've been so sick. Get better and kick the habit for good. You'll be amazed how much more digging time you can put in when your lungs are clear. Best of luck to you.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Ash,

hang in there girl. ;D

Hope you have been checking the web for
all the info that is available on COPD.

American Lung Association has a mess of
support groups for help in answering any
questions you may still have. Good info
on how to cope with that.

You take care of yourself and please keep us
posted. Just slow down a bit and take it a step
at a time.

have a good un....................
SHERMANVILLE

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Ashleen old pal old buddy of mine.....
I want you around for a long time
I want to come hunt with you
I want you to be able to dig my holes for me ,carry all my treasures and I dont want to have to carry your oxygen tank ! :) :) :) :)

You can do it girl...Just stay strong and we will all be cheering for you.
MMMMMM...think how good everything is going to smell once you kick the habit for good...clean and fresh....everything will taste better!
I know you can do it hon...

Attachments

• Girlsclub.jpg
    Girlsclub.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 457

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Ashleen,

Sorry to hear about your health problems. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers for a quick and speedy recovery. Take one day at a time and you'll be amazed at what you can do. Good Luck.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Wow Ashleen, that is a load right there... I wish you every success possible! Been saying for years I was quit myself. Never did for very long. :-\

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
OMG! Ashleen! Say it ain't so! My prayers are with you! The best way to quit is Cold Turkey! I quit Oct. 2004 after 44 yrs! You can do it!

Joe

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ashleen, Get Well Soon and kick that habit! It won't be easy, but you can do it. I thank God that I never took up the habit. You're an important part of our T-Net family and we're all pulling for you. You've still got a lot of detecting to do. So "GET WELL" !! :)

Huntin' 59er

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear you are back home Ashleen - hang in their, we all have our own demons we struggle with....

You're bigger than a cigarette - good luck.

Tim

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
wow Ashlen...I'm really sorry to hear about this. hang in there, cigarettes can be harder to quit than narcotics! my grandmother had emphysema so bad she couldn't get out of bed, but she still smoked those damn cigarettes. stick it out and quit. you'll be happy you did. get better soon! :)

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Ash, your post was haunting! I started reading it and, at first, I thought you were talking to or about me. It was strange! Check out these similarities. I have been smoking over 40 years and was smoking a minimum of 2 packs a day. Dec. 19th I went in for surgery on my caratod (SP) artery on the right side of my throat to clean it out. They put about a 5-inch slice in my throat, clamped off the artery in 2 places, sliced it down the middle like a nightcrawler, scrapped out the blockage and then sewed it back up. Actually they sewed a patch over it. I spent a few days in ICU but eventually went home. Then, on Dec. 28th, which also happens to be my birthday, I was back in the hospital getting stents put in the right and left side arteries just below my heart to improve the circulation to my legs. Guess what!? I've quit smoking. The doctor gave me a prescription for a stop smoking pill back in early November. It's not a nicotine replacement, it's something else and kind of new to the market. I continued smoking and taking the pill right up to Dec. 19th when I went to the hospital for the first time. I took my cigarettes and lighter with me as I had every intention to either smoke in the hospital or light up as soon as I walked out the door to go home. Funny thing, I walked out the door to go home and didn't even want a smoke. At 4:30 this morning it has been 31 days since I've smoked. At 2 packs a day, that's 62 packs minimum. At 20 cigs per pack, that's at least 1240 cigarettes I haven't smoked. That's equal to a cigarette over 500 feet long. :D The prescription is called Chantix. You might ask your doc about it. I thought I would never be able to quit without the deep withdrawls and being cranky but I'm still the same sweetheart I've always been and don't crave a smoke. I think about them once in a while but no cravings. Carving a big slice in my throat may have helped me quit psycologically but I think it was the prescription. I quit taking the prescription on Dec. 21st as I had no desire whatsoever for a smoke. Either way, no one knows better than myself that a person quits when THEY want to so, good luck to you. I just wanted to let you know it isn't hopeless like I once thought, given your time, you'll do it. Let us know when that happens.

OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. I'm going 'cold turkey'. I'm pretty sure I can do it this time. Because I'll never forget that horrible pain in my chest, and the feeling that I was suffocating and drowning at the same time. Pretty damn scary; I'll tell ya. I've tried the nicotene patches, the gum, the whole nine yards. But... truth be told... I don't think I REALLY wanted to quit before. It took this hard slap upside my head to make me see exactly what I've been doing to myself all these years. I guess I've ALWAYS been my own worst emeny.....go figure! There are still 2 smokers in my house (son+husband). My daughter hasn't had a cigarette for 5 days, so she's on her way cold turkey, too. The guys don't bring the butts in the house, and all the ashtrays and stuff were gone when I got home from the hospital. I know they smoke in the shop, but at least not smoking in the house has made them cut down. I haven't even smelled a cigarette since 12/27.....Was driving to the Dr's today....a lady in the car in front of me at a red light was smoking, her drivers window was open....I could see the smoke wafting out.......Know what I did?????....rolled down MY window and tried to smell her smoke!?!?!? How pathetic is that??????????
I, too said I'd quit when they hit a buck a pack.......ya right......
Have been eating jelly beans like crazy the past couple of days........transferring addiction, ya think????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread