jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past, food and alcoholic beverage makers got in trouble for attempting to cover the impact of inflation by diluting the content, or simply serving less, of their products while keeping the price constant: the same thing as rising prices, but optically more palatable to less than sophisticated consumers. That was the past. A new breed of industrious, high profit margin-seeking alcohol vendors have decided to skip this protocol entirely and instead of serving booze, have opted to replace the product outright.

The Latest "Inflation Evasion" Scam: Bars Serving Caramelized Rubbing Alcohol Instead Of Scotch | Zero Hedge

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My brother was doing that way back in the early 60's in California. He worked for a joint in San Francisco, and he mixed call whiskey down in the basement. He used to laugh about how he could make scotch or VO etc. At the time I think they were cheating on taxes for one thing, and the owners felt that once the customer had a few he couldn't tell the difference anyhow. Of course it cost extra for a call shot, and in that bar the only thing real was the label on the bottle. I never spent any time in San Francisco, and never went to the bar, so what i'm saying is no more than hearsay, but my brother told a good story and laughed a lot about it. I'm sure that type of thing goes on more than we know. My father was a cop back during WWII, and I have a couple of shot glasses he got after they shut the bar down. In dim light the shot glass looks like a full measure of whiskey, but when you look close the glass is really thick and you probably don't get half what you are paying for. What I'm trying to say, that cheating on drinks isn't anything new, been going on ever since someone has been willing to pay for a drink of alcohol.

kevin hoffman

Sep 7, 2012
cambridge md
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rubbing alcohol has a gasoline like mix added ro make it undrinkable [denatured] otherwise it would be ok, the nerve of a bar doing the is unthinkable !!attempted manslaughter applies here not tax evasion,qualified health inspectors know this trick along with adding moonshine to a bottle, which is far safer in my opinion,it is a shame that to leagaly make liquer the regulations are as thick as a bible and as tough to navigate through ,I looked into this at one time so as not to be a criminal or tax cheat and was throughly disheartened. oh well time to stir the mash.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a lot of us paid attention in HS chemistry class. Our first lab experiment was the process of distillation of alcohol. Come to find out that the teacher actually had us making the equivalent of moonshine, and took it all home upon completion. Although I have always thought that it provided a much needed skill at times.:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread