Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
limitool,first off i wish nothing but the best for you and your family.my sister was the worst mom ever,she had 4 kids they all watched her drink drug and what not,they remembered and grew up not wanting to be like her.twins are in college paying there own way,son has a family and a full time job,star well she is star but what i am saying is it is up too the kid to be what they want to be.some that ive known that have come from the best have failed,you just have to make sure that you let them know that they can rule the world if they want too,or just be simple if thats what they would like,encourage them no mater what they want.a kid that knows his dad loves them is always going to be ok i think drugs take place of something that is missing in thier lives i think more love =less drugs.alcohol was my mistake in life,jim beam,kesslers jack...those were the bad days when i was 15 16 17

Jamey.... Thanks and your right... a lot. Guess I'm getting my therapy about kids and drugs. But... "what i am saying is it is up too the kid to be what they want to be." But... it's up to the parent (me) to set the example. And I learned my lesson that the lower you lower the bar your children will go lower. And drugs taking the place of something that is missing in their lives is SO TRUE I believe. I got custody of these 5 children (94') when they were 2 - 13 y/o. as a single man with a great job. And later when they got involved in drugs while in my custody was something I can't hardly except because it's something I WOULD NEVER introduce them to or promote. Nor did or would I promote pot smoking as "ok" to them.... but this is what they said got them started. So those who say Pot Smoking doesn't lower the bar for children.... cry me a river and lite up. Jamey... your right what you wrote and thanks. Bad night folks.... sorry.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks limitool ,years ago maybe i would lite up.not now as a single dad myself i would not dare to be caught by my kids smoking pot.i just think that it is not as bad as some think it is.but i think the worst for me would be for my kids to think that it is the worst thing that they did and calm up on me about life,i would not want them to think i would think any less of them if they would perhaps smoke a joint its just hard to tell them that,but i got years to go i hope.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Its all 98% peer pressure 2% influence from parents, older siblings, trust me I know, I didn't become the drunk my father was, because I seen as a child what it causes, likewise I watched my oldest brother self destruct on heavy drugs, both of those things in my life influenced me to NOT be that way, sure I partied as a teen, smoked pot and drank, but when it came time to become responsible I left it all behind, its all our own choice, its NOT! Your fault Brad and I think you are being to damn hard on yourself.
Like my pops always said, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it, the kids make their own decisions, and most of the time do exactly opposite of what their patents teach/demand they do...I know, I was just that way.

Mike

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I need to stay away from people's drug threads and their support thereof. And please DO NOT "like" this comment. Move on.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never done 'drugs', but smoked cigs for 40 years. I've only seen one marijuana cig in my life, back in the 60s. My sis had it and shared it with my wife's brother while we were all on a fishing trip. I've drank a little alcohol since I was about 17 years old. Most of my working years, I was on 24/7 call and only drank on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Eve. I always seemed to be one of those people that got caught every time that I did something wrong and had to pay the highest consequences for it. Since I retired in 2004, and my wife died in 2006, I've been drinking a lot more. I will drink a whiskey and cola several times a week and sometimes drink a second one. I'll sometime drink vodka with orange juice. I always wait until late evening because I know after I take a couple of swallows of a drink, I'm not going to get behind the wheel of a vehicle. I feel that I'd be just unlucky enough to get stopped before I drove more a block or two and be lock away for several months. lol
I don't know if my daughter would have started smoking if I had not smoked when she was growing up. It may have been peer-pressure; but I'll never know. She started when she was about 16 and smokes heavily today, as does her husband. Their son can't stand to be around someone smoking and stays in his room most of the time. He has allergies. My son smoked a little several years ago, but didn't get hooked and hasn't smoked for about 4 years. My son-in-law also smokes heavily. Both he and I have COPD. Both of us are on inhalers and use oxygen concentrators at night. He actually is in worse shape than I am and still smokes. I know it's hard to quit; but it can be done. But, only if one really wants to quit. I live in the same house as they do; but I have a separate room and it has it's own heating/cooling system. I try to stay out of their part of the house as much as I can because of the smoke.
After giving you a little background about myself and family, I will say that I can not believe that anyone should smoke, drink alcohol, or do drugs. I will also say that I have no right to tell anyone what they can or can not do. It's none of my business as long as it doesn't affect my life. Legalize marijuana? I can only watch and listen. I haven't the knowledge to decide one way or the other. I've read all of these articles about it and still can't decide. Since I don't use it, I could care less about the recreational use being legalized. For medical, I can only say that if it actually helps, then certainly legalize it. But, since I have so little knowledge about it for medical use, I can't decide if I'm for it or not. Addiction? I have no firm knowledge. Gateway to other drugs? I have no firm knowledge. On the fence about these issues? You bet!
Doing something wrong? Alcohol is not against the law. Am I wrong to drink it, even if I only do so in my own home, and never drive while under the influence? I'm probably still wrong. I know it is unhealthy. It can ruin the liver. That is a known fact. Am I drinking enough to cause liver damage? I'm not sure, but probably. Do I have a reason for drinking? Can I make an excuse for drinking? Yes, I can say that it calms my nerves and keeps some things off my mind that I don't like think about (most of the time). Sometime it seems to actually make it worse. When this happens, I abstain for several days, sometime even weeks.
Ok, enough. Just my views. (And just an old man's ramblings!)

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
5 years ago I watched my father die at 3:30 in the morning in his bedroom. I brought him home from the hospital 3 days before. He died from lung cancer. He had smoked cigarettes for 56 years. After he was told he had lung cancer he just quit... but it was to late and did nothing to extend his life. He was in and out of the hospital several times getting his lungs drained and his quality of life declined quickly. I've never smoked in my entire life and I'm glad I didn't.... but I do drink to much beer. And like you "I will also say that I have no right to tell anyone what they can or can not do." But I sure as hell won't justify my bad behavior or endorse it like some folks do. Good post texasred777.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bad behavior is a matter of opinion.... It is personal belief...

No different than over weight parents allowing their children to over eat.....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bad behavior is a matter of opinion.... It is personal belief... No different than over weight parents allowing their children to over eat.....

Agreed... No problem understanding that. And your right it's a matter of opinion and personal belief. What would be a bad behavior?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread