Remember This

sonny0065

Jan 10, 2007
warner robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I've only been on TN for few weeks. I just read the thread "remember this" and I think we should start another one. Call it remember this 2. I'll try to start it. Remember the songs, Rock around the clock, blue swade shoes, long tall Sally, tootie fruitie, great balls of fire. What about this one Ragg mopp. I remember when gas was 15 cents gal., cigs 25 cents pack. The movie Rebal without a cause. Remember tvshows, Rawhide (Clint Eastwood) Wanted dead or alive (Steve McQueen)? We wore our jeans rolled up a couple of times, they still onlycame to the top of our shoes. Come on, lets remember before we're too old to remember. Sonny

OP
OP
S

sonny0065

Jan 10, 2007
warner robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
yeah Riverrat, we got our first TV in middle fifties. I remember Kate Smith, 64 Thousand dollar question (later found to be faked) Aurthor Godfrey, Ted macks amature ? hour. 1st color tv in early 70s. I remember 10 cent hambergers, RC colas & moon pies. I delivered papers on a bicycle, walking around with a reel type & cutting yards. For a big yard I might get 75 cents or $1. People only had 1 car, some people didnt have any. The cars lte 50s-early sixties were best looking cars ever. sonny

OP
OP
S

sonny0065

Jan 10, 2007
warner robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Paul is Dead said:
Without looking it up. Who was the first host of the tonight show? Answer, then wait, if others respond, then look it up and post.
Steve Allen comes to mind. Not sure though. Never watched the Tonight show much. Sonny

B

BIG61AL

I remember when every photogragh and tv was black and white. No one had to wear a seatbelt. Bread was .25 a loaf. a can of soda was less than 10 cents and you had to use a can operner to drink it.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I'm not going to look it up,but I think it was Steve Allen,mainly because he put the words to the song,'Tonight,Tonight'.I certainly remember Jack Parr but don't believe that show was called 'The Tonite Show'.

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
OK, Sonny, You're playing my game now! First Off, Welcome to the Net! Secondly, How about these?
Heartbreak Hotel, The Ballad of Davy Crockett, Yellow Rose of Texas, Sixteen Tons, My Prayer, Green Door, Don't Be Cruel, Singing the Blues,
Butterfly, Tammy, You Send Me, etc. American Bandstand?
Then there was Real Penny & Nickel Candies like Turkish Taffy, Necco Wafers, Candy Buttons, Chuckles, Candy Cigs, Mary Janes, BB Bats, Wax Lips, Jujubes, Blackjacks, Root Beer Barrels, Slo Pokes, Bazookas, & Jaw Breakers!
3D Movies, Coonskin Caps, Hula Hoops, Slinkies, Silly Putty, Pogo Sticks?
Saturday Night Hops, & Submarine Races! DA's, Crewcuts, Butches, Flat Tops, Pegged Pants, Chinos, Madras Shirts, Fruit Loops, "Points",
Saddle Shoes, Penny Loafers, White Bucks, Flats, Poddle Skirts, Kilts, etc!
Whew! That's enough for now! Nostalgia Forever!

Joe

OP
OP
S

sonny0065

Jan 10, 2007
warner robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
yeah Busca. I went from flat top to DA (also called duck tail). I kept a DA until I went into the military. Alas, I would'nt have enough hair now. I have a stack of record albums about 3 ft high of mostly the old Rock and Roll and country. Remember bogart, Cary Grant, Jimmy Sterwart, Kathren Hepburn, Cagney. How about Frankenstien, dracular, Man from planet X, War of the worlds, Sands of Iwo Jima. Cant forget John Wayne, James Dean. Going to the movies on Sat. afternoon (I think was 15 cents) and playing cowboy & indians or play war all the next week. Depending on what movies we saw. We also had B B gun battles, lucky nobody got it in the eye. Does anyone remember the song in my 1st post called ragg mopp? It was popular in late 40s. Its funny how the older you get the more you like to remember the good old days. Sonny

OP
OP
S

sonny0065

Jan 10, 2007
warner robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
BIG61AL said:
I remember when every photogragh and tv was black and white. No one had to wear a seatbelt. Bread was .25 a loaf. a can of soda was less than 10 cents and you had to use a can operner to drink it.
I remember when sodas did'nt come in a can. I think they taste better in a glass bottle.

OP
OP
S

sonny0065

Jan 10, 2007
warner robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
warsawdaddy said:
"I say RA,RAG,RAGG Mopp,RagMOP" Doodlie do
Yeah, Warsaw. I didnt think anyone would remember it. That was a long time ago. I was about 7 yrs. We lived in apartment over a cafe where the local teens would hang out. No drug store in area. Sometimes they have juke box turned up loud. My parents,myister & I would jump up & down on floor to make them turn it down. They played rag mopp alot. Another song, that time period, cruising down the river. Maybe not the title but is what I called it. Sonny

OP
OP
S

sonny0065

Jan 10, 2007
warner robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
warsawdaddy said:
'Cruising down the river,on a Sunday afternoon',how about 'Mairsy Doats'?(and little lambs eat ivy)?
That one I dont remember. What time period was it? Sometimes even if I remember the song, I cant put it in a time period. Sonny

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I was feeling old until I read this!

I remember gas at .89, cokes .50, and smokes right over $1 with tax

so I guess I ain't that old unless you ask my kids ::)

gord

Mar 30, 2005
London, ON
txkickergirl said:
Hey I was feeling old until I read this!

I remember gas at .89, cokes .50, and smokes right over $1 with tax

so I guess I ain't that old unless you ask my kids ::)
No, old is gas @ .23, cokes @ .05 (+ .02 bottle deposit), cigs .25.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread