Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Our school desks had built in ink wells

Our toys didn’t have batteries that went dead because they didn’t have batteries.

People would watch tv test screens

Playing with mercury was one of our favorite toys

A common birthday present was a silver dollar

No one could be found when Dragnet or Lucy were on TV

A kid couldn’t finish a 25 cent frozen custard

We quit playing after dark when we couldn’t see anything

A bike went everywhere

Cowboys were your moral compass

Kids fought fair fights

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when teachers taught us to read, write, and do our "numbers"
we said yes sir, and no maam
youngster were to be seen and not heard
we solved our differences civilly, and not in the courts
the whole family ate dinner together

I can remember many more, my, how the times have changed......Gary

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
12 cents got you into the Saturday movie, which 99% of the time was a western, a short and a cartoon. The cartoon was Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck, rarely Daffy Duck or Pepe La Phew, the French skunk. 5 cents bought popcorn and 5 cents bought a pop, 3 cents bought a huge mouthful of double bubble gum, or you could share two pieces with your friends, have one for yourself, and the 2 bit piece was silver. After the movie, we walked home and played cowboys and Indians, or if it was a pirate movie we made wooden swords and had sword fights, and nobody had an eye poked out. We drank water out of the garden hose, and shared one bottle of pop among several friends. We all had Red Ryder BB guns, and nobody got their eye shot out, but sadly a lot of birds bit the dust. We had friends and enemies, and sometimes we got into rock fights with our enemies. If there weren't enough kids for a softball game, we played workups on a vacant lot, and there wasn't an adult in sight. If there was enough kids for two teams the best players got chosen first, and I was always last, and I learned that life wasn't always fair -- and again, no adults in sight, we solved our own problems. If I got in trouble in town I begged the police not to tell my Dad. If I got busted for one of many violations of the rules, both Mom and/or Dad would spank me, and it made me a better person. On Sundays I went to Sunday School with offering coins tied in a hanky so tight no kid could untie them. We had a victory garden, and raised rabbits and had chickens for eggs, fryers and stewing hens. Starting about age 12, a box of 50 rounds of .22 ammo cost 50 cents, and between that and shotgun shells, I was broke all the time. At age 16, in San Luis Obispo, California, with out parental permission, (my folks agreed, but the store didn't even ask) I went into the gun store, and laid away a Colt .22 Huntsman pistol. My friend Richard had a Woodsman, but that was at least $20 more, so I bought what I could afford. The Huntsman must have cost around around $40 and I was making around $20 a month at the time. In about 3 months I had it paid off and brought it home. Dad loved the gun, and asked if he could borrow it when he went fishing. Still 16 (I joined the Navy at 17) I went to the high sheriff, and was given a concealed carry permit for my pistol. I had it and a rifle or shot gun in my car at school and as long as they stayed in the car, if anyone cared they didn't say a word. If we wanted to hunt arrowheads, we asked the Forest Ranger where to find the best place, and he told us. I panned for gold in the Merced River, inside the boundaries of Yosemite National Park, and the Park Ranger admired my meager flecks of gold dust. Dang, I'm making myself homesick. People today don't have the slightest idea what it's like to be free.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, the good old days. But were they that great? Cars and mtorcycles beat bikes hands down
Ice cream is still good at any price
I couldn't live without my computer or cell phone
Cars are faster and safer
Toys are more fun
Fast food kicks
Planes get you there faster
The list goes on and on. More expensive yes, but wages are higher, health care better. movies are cooler, the 2014 Harleys are RAD, and I thank God I lived to see it. I'm 65, love the new good old days and hope for a couple more decades of the good life. What's coming?
Besides iwatch on your wrist, another company is producing a flexible, assume any shape watch
Space travel starting in a few years by Virgin, I believe
A new mining corporation for deep space mining and transport has been established with a goal of being at work within a century
Ability to operate by transport. Two years ago at MIT, a beam of light was dissolved and then reassembled 40 feet away down a work bench
Nuclear fusion to solve every energy need in the world. Two ways maybe? Carbon dioxide laser or cold fusion. Lasing through rare earths(Neodymium 2+ state) has not been successful so crystal ruby laser probably not the answer
The list goes on. Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, various professional scientific journals show the future that is now. Can't wait...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread