onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How strurpid are we getting? Does your 14 year old eat metal?
If you didn’t already get a set of the endless fun known as Buckyballs, it may too be late, as they’re coming off of shelves (although as of this writing, you can still buy them online). The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is suing Maxfield & Oberton, makers of the powerful magnets, due to 20 cases over the last four years of children swallowing them. The packaging and promotional materials for Buckyballs clearly state that, like many great things in life, they are not intended for children. Of course, the CPSC notice is quick to point out the critical problems that happen between the ages of 13 and 14: “The high powered magnets sets were labeled ‘Ages 13+’ and do not meet the mandatory toy standard F963-08 (effective August 17, 2009) which requires that such powerful magnets are not sold for children under 14.”
In a statement from Maxfield & Oberton, Craig Zucker, founder and CEO said, ”We are deeply disappointed that the CPSC has decided to go after our firm–and magnets in general. Magnets have been around for centuries and are used for all sorts of purposes. Our products are marketed to those 14 and above and out of over half a billion magnets in the market place CPSC has received reports of less than two-dozen cases of misuse. We worked with the Commission in order to do an education video less than 9 months ago, so we are shocked they are taking this action. We find it unfair, unjust and un-American.
Here’s a call for some common sense in parenting. If you didn’t already know that strong magnets post a significant danger to children, the Buckyballs box warns you that it is not for children. (Also, if you didn’t know about magnet dangers, you should watch House.) Do we really need the CPSC to tell us what we can and can’t have? Let’s ponder what could be banned next:
Balloons. According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, the defining birthday party decoration kills more children than anything besides bicycles. They are doom on a string.
Everything with wheels. That is, the stuff that kills more kids than balloons. It’s time to say, “Yes!” to a childhood free from the tyranny of bicycles, skateboards, scooters, and Big Wheels.

Electrical outlets. Look at them. They even look at you with a face of terror that practically says, “Stick that metal fork in my mouth!” (Unless you live in Denmark, in which case your outlets invite you to electrocution much more cheerfully.) Gotta get rid of them. Candlelight is so much better for your new steampunk decor plan anyway.
Doors. This one’s personal. I slammed my hand in a door fifteen years ago, and one of the fingernails has never been quite right since. Might as well ban the things before they cause more harm to me or others.

Laptop batteries. Hooooo doggy. Those regular old C- and D-cells that powered every toy of our childhoods were bad enough. But do you know what kind of dangers await you under those little plastic keys you’re probably resting your hands on right now? Do you? If not, I’ll let XKCD explain.
Lego. There is no greater terror to the safety of your feet and staying upright than Lego bricks left on the floor after dark. Wait–there is one greater terror. The threat so great, it needs only two characters to be named: D4.
The day star. Let’s be honest. We’ve all been sunburned. It hurts. And that thing causes cancer. It’s time to ban the sun. We can find other sources of light, heat, and warmth
an we start exercising some rationality as parents? If you’re afraid something is a danger to you or your family, don’t buy it. And if it’s a desktop toy or even something you really need that isn’t appropriate for children, keep it away from them. You’re still chopping your vegetables with knives, and your children have survived, right? Remember. You can take our Kinder Eggs, but you can’t take our freeeeeeeedom! Now somebody pass me a Brawndo.
What have we Become????

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my take on this, and solely my opinion......Think about this, we entrust the education of the youth of the Nation to a corp of teaching professionals who demographically have proven to be very liberal. They have the control to teach what and how they desire, within the stripture's of the State boards of Educations, and they have seemed to forget the essentials of history, geograghy, and most certainly English, and literature. Although I will admit exception's do exist. From what I have observed in my home districts, the teachers teach from their live experiences, not neccessarly from the facts of history, and the bias of the teacher carries over to the students, and the next thing you know we have a continually growing liberal population. Vt. is a good example, from one of the most conservative states in 1969, to being the most liberal state in the Union today.

Right or wrong? That's your decision to make....My wife and I made ours in 1974, when we decided that we would not start a family, and try to bring them up, and have them educated in what existed for schools. We are both higher educated in professional fields that have seen many changes in the 40 years since. Selfish, sure it is, but also how we chose to live!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
from one of the most conservative states in 1969, to being the most liberal state in the Union today.

I'd have to bet you on this one buddy.Trade places with me for a week here in Fascistchusetts.You have to live here to really experience it.Its like living with the zombie cast in Dawn of the Dead.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
first, if you've been out in public you'll see dumbing down isn't possible, it can only go up!

second, what was I saying?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Red,

But the border's to our states are open, have you been shipping North....Gary

Theres more than enough here to go around,need more?Just got a new batch today,thick as a brick and as aware as a zinc penny.:icon_thumright:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Here's how good the educational system is today:

My wife quit school in the 10th grade. She got her GED the same year. No college or other "higher education".

My wife home schooled our daughter. We chose the curriculum, just making sure the mandated items were covered too.

My daughter finished school and (in Arkansas, home schooled children must take the GED test to graduate high school) this spring she took her test at the local University branch's Adult Education class.

They have been administering the tests for over 25 years there. My girl scored higher than any of the others ever have. If a woman who didn't finish high school back in the 70's can do a better job than folks who spend 6 or 8 years at some expensive university to get their teaching certificate, there is definitely a problem in the education system.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Actually, we followed the guidelines of the State of Arkansas, and added the things we had to do in school to the limited learning they prescribe. We were even able to get the same text books as the public schools were using for the first 6 years (the school she would have attended was actually helpful in providing those books to use each year).

For the first 9 years, she was tested by the State with their "standardized tests" (the Iowa tests).

By the 6th grade, she was testing at 2nd and third year college level in reading and math.

One thing I noticed about the kids who were home schooled: the great majority were well mannered, well spoken, pleasant to be around, and could carry on a conversation. Try to find those types in the public school system today ... even among the staff.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Just my take on this, and solely my opinion......Think about this, we entrust the education of the youth of the Nation to a corp of teaching professionals who demographically have proven to be very liberal. They have the control to teach what and how they desire, within the stripture's of the State boards of Educations, and they have seemed to forget the essentials of history, geograghy, and most certainly English, and literature. Although I will admit exception's do exist. From what I have observed in my home districts, the teachers teach from their live experiences, not neccessarly from the facts of history, and the bias of the teacher carries over to the students, and the next thing you know we have a continually growing liberal population. Vt. is a good example, from one of the most conservative states in 1969, to being the most liberal state in the Union today.

Right or wrong? That's your decision to make....My wife and I made ours in 1974, when we decided that we would not start a family, and try to bring them up, and have them educated in what existed for schools. We are both higher educated in professional fields that have seen many changes in the 40 years since. Selfish, sure it is, but also how we chose to live!

I'm glad you prefaced that with "This is only my opinion". You got that part right...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread