Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something Is Killing America's Moose

boris_and_natasha_by_fourpanelhero-d3d494u.jpg

Moose populations across North America are plunging at an alarming rate—and scientists can't figure out why. The die-off has hit regions from British Columbia to New Hampshire, and one of Minnesota's two moose populations has declined from 4,000 animals to fewer than 100 since the 1990s, the New York Times finds. Moose hunting in the state has been suspended while the decline is investigated, although experts believe the drop in moose numbers has a lot more to do with climate change than with hunting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/15/science/earth/something-is-killing-off-the-moose.html?_r=0

Last edited:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boris n Natasha are pretty harmless to Moose, Bullwinkle outsmarted them easily.:laughing7:

I wonder if the decline could be caused by predators, areas where wolves have been reintroduced deer and elk numbers have been decimated.

Even coyotes are very hard on deer and elk, mainly in the spring when they have pups, and the fawns and calves are vulnerable.

Colorado banned trapping 15 years ago or so, and coyote numbers soared. I saw more 'yotes than deer this fall, no young deer at all.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff,

Moose are also affected by a brain worm that can cause declines. The populations have risen here in New England to levels where the competition for food on their range has caused them to migrate, or in some cases die off. When they were at peak carrying capacity, Vt, and NH had high incidents of car kills on the highways. Several years ago in front of the Nh camp I huted from, 9 were hit and killed by cars in 1 1/2 months(July and August))

It might also be noted that they may have simply migrated back into Canada, they don't recognize any borders. NY for instance has seen a dramatic population explosion in the past year, seeing moose where they haven't been before. All Nature is cyclic, and when the food and range conditions favor their return, they will come. Right now Nature is dictating their fate......Gary

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I 100% agree with Gary on the Brain Worm thing and know it to be true. Increased Deer populations up here have thinned the Moose out a bit and we're all doing our part to knock down out the Deer population and there were 5 extra tags available for purchase per hunter last year in order to help accomplish the cull.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread